Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AuntPol's Primal Journal page

AuntPol is offline Senior Member

AuntPol's Primal Journal

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Here is my introduction that gives a little (well a lot lol) about me.

Weight: 157.5

First day of going primal
    B-two eggs (used olive oil spray -forgot I could use butter)-w/salsa , 2 slices turkey bacon, navel orange; coffee w/ skim milk and splenda
    L-6 oz turkey ham, half a green pepper, a cucumber, and small roma tomato
    S-most of an apple (my son snagged 3 of my slices) and 2 tbsp almond butter
    D-3 cups romaine and 1 cup iceberg lettuce, 1/4 cup onion, 1 roma tomato, 6 oz grilled chicken, 1 slice turkey bacon, 2 tbsp ranch dressing

Fit day totals:
    Calories: 1217
    Carbs: 80.1 gr (25%)
    Fats: 43%
    Protein: 32%

Nothing is organic at this time. The almond butter has sugar in it which I didn't notice until after I ate it. Is there a good primal brand? I'm working on phasing coffee out. I have full whipping cream in the fridge? Is that better than milk? My family likes skim milk so it's not practical for me to buy a higher fat milk just for the little bit I put in my coffee. I wasn't sure about ranch dressing. I know it has milk in it. I'm not fond of vinegar based dressings. The ranch is Hidden Valley in a bottle. I can make it myself but I don't what the ruling on mayonaise is? I guess it can count as my 20% along with the milk in my coffee.

Exercise
    About 2.5 mile walk w/ dog to check on construction of the new community center going in in a park near us ( a park that has been useless for 10 years as it has a baseball field, a skateboard park, and nothing else until now). Silly me, didn't realize it was so hot (90's) and wore black sweats. I was sweating hard. I also got a blister on my heal and had to take my shoes off half way back. My plantar fascitis was acting up big time last night from that.

CrossFit WarmUp (w/ pushups instead on pullups); 10 minutes of Forza exercises (that is play for me!)

I felt horrible yesterday morning. I was so fatigued. I tried to lay down and take a nap but my mind was full speed. I decided to take the dog on a walk since the kids had been clamoring to do that (anything to get out of doing book work lol). After I did that and the other exercise, I felt exhilerated again.

I told my Bible study group that I was going primal in my eating, etc. They were so extremely supportive because after all who can knock eating only godmade foods? They saw me through giving up soda as a part of a religious prayer fast, then got on to me when I added in a sweet tea a few months later because while I was following the "letter of the law", I wasn't following the "spirit of the law." Of course, all the few pounds I lost when I cut out Diet soda came back twice in the sugary tea.
    Last edited by AuntPol; 09-23-2010 at 07:01 AM.

[B]Thursday[/B]

Weight-156

** I was really shocked to have lost 1.5 pounds on the first day. I didn't think I had any water weight left to lose since I have been dieting and lost water weight early on when I gave up sweets.

Food Log
    B-Banana w/ 1 tbsp almond butter; coffee w/skim milk and splenda
    L-5 oz of chicken breast strips; cucumber slices
    D-Italian sausage link sauteed w/ peppers and onions; sweet potato fries
    S-1 slice turkey bacon

**yikes on the carb totals of sweet potatoes! But man I love sweet potato fries! I made my coffee 3 parts caffeinated and 1 part decaf as I try to wean myself from needing coffee. Also, I had no trouble getting enough water in yesterday. I seemed to crave it all day long. Usually, I have to force myself to get 8 glasses. I think I passed it. I had to run to the ladies' room 3 times during my husbands softball game last night!

Fit day totals
    carbs: 1274; 87 g (27%); Protein 91 g (30%); Fat 43%

Supplements
    2 Fish oil tablets; 1 acai berry tablet (feeling a bit clogged)

Exercise and Sunlight
    Walked to tennis court and back (20 minutes total); played "tennis"; played about 10 minutes of outdoor challenge on the wii

**Was supposed to be a run day but I slept late and it was too hot to run by the time I was able to get going. When I run in the heat, I get migraines. It's probably just as well as my right knee hurts anyway and probably needs a rest.

**Not sure if what we played can be called tennis. We are still learning it for the kid's tennis scout badges. I think there was more walking to pick up balls than anything. I think 6 hits is the longest stretch we had. LOL

**I also weighed in on wiifit while kids had it out. I hadn't been on it in a year but it shows I was down 3 pounds from a year ago!! Considering I had gained to where I couldn't even where fit into clothes I was wearing last year, this is affirming.

Mind
    Logic puzzles

Overall I felt pretty well. No carb flu symptoms. I got slightly draggy in the afternoon as per typical for me anyway. I just started cleaning out a closet and got over the hump. I expect more carb flu symptoms today. When I did South Beach, it always seem to hit me on the 2nd or 3rd day. Then again, since I am having fruit, maybe it won't.

My husband told me he was proud of my efforts on Thursday night. He is not known for making positive comments on any efforts even when he is having a non-stressful week but this week was probably one of the most stressful ever.
    Last edited by AuntPol; 09-25-2010 at 05:12 AM.

Friday

Weight: 155

***Wow. 2.5 pounds in two days. My kids commented that my belly is looking flatter. I don't look 7 months pregnant like I did last month. Now I look more like 3 months pregnant LOL. Anyway, I am now within weight standards for my height for the Marines w/ the new standards. I believe it was 144 in my day. Of course, my body fat is still to high but one step at a time. The sad part is when I joined the Marines I had trouble staying at my minimum weight of 104. I was a triple ration recruit in boot camp. At my MOS school, I was brought in for questioning several times because they thought I had to be anorexic. The new standards have a minimum of 117 pounds. It took me forever to get to that weight. Oh how metabolism changes over time.

Food Log
    B: 2 eggs and 3 pieces of Canadian bacon cooked in butter; salsa -coffee with heavy cream
    L: Deli chicken w/ green pepper, carrots, and cucumbers
    S: Turkey ham slab, 1/2 cup green grapes
    D: 4 oz. Blackened Cajun Chicken, 2 cup romaine salad w/1 Tb ranch, tomato, and onion, 2 cups steamed broccoli w/ butter

We have Co-Op on Fridays. I co-teach a class on manners and today was table manners so we had lunch for the kids. It was typical non primal affair (except for the salad). I didn't eat anything. Right after, American Heritage Girl Scouts had a pizza party to kick off fundraiser. My daughter took part in the pizza part, my son and I brought our own lunch of cut up veggies and deli meats. We had to eat in a different room though because he wanted the pizza when he smelled it but wanted to support me. For dinner, I made shake and bake chicken for everyone else and cajun for me. I made a side of rice for everyone else and extra helping of broccoli for me.

Fit Day Totals
    Calories 1382; Carb 50.2 g (13 %); Protein 109.2g (33%); Fat 53%

Exercise
    Crossfit warmup and 10 minute kickboxing; walk to tennis court -25 minutes of "tennis" w/ my dd- walk home.

Tennis with my dd was fun. My DD is 11 and extremely naturally athletic. She is good at whatever she does without any effort. She just doens't have the interest to be great at anything. We are only doing tennis to get a badge. She has a goal to get all the Junior Scout badges and has a week left until she is officially a Cadette. She has a few left that we will work on over the weekend. Anyway, this was good mother-daughter time. Playing without the boys along gave us a chance to talk and our horrible playing gave us plenty of chances to laugh lol. (Oh and yes, if you noticed, she is in two different scout organizations- American Heritage and Girl Scouts!)

My knee still hurts sporadically so I'm going to hold off on running for a while and just do more walking and other sports. Then I think I will do Mark's sprint every 7-10 days instead of couch potato running program 3 times a week or else change it to a twice a week program for longer weeks. Will play it by ear according to how my knee feels. I don't want to do marathon running but I would like to do a 5K and be able to pass the PFT again.

I had a bit of tiredness yesterday. Nothing that I couldn't walk through. I got a lot of comments from the other American Heritage Girl parents. They only see me every other week and I've dropped 5 pounds since then. I also bought a couple outfits that flatter my current weight and shape a few weeks ago. I decided that walking around looking frumpy was contributing to me acting frumpy, which triggered depression that leads to emotional eating.

Today kicked off popcorn sales for cub scouts and pizza sales for AHG. Sigh.
    Last edited by AuntPol; 09-25-2010 at 05:07 AM.

Saturday

Weight: 155

Food Log
    B-Sausage patty and most of a large tomato (dd snagged a slice)
    L-1/3 # Hamburger patty topped w/homemade salsa, 1.5 cups of brocooli w/ butter, sweet potato fries (baked w/olive oil)
    S-Celery and almond butter
    D-Spaghetti squash topped w/spaghetti sauce w/added peppers, onions, and hot Italian Sausage; romaine salad w/onions and tomto, Italian dressing

Fit Day Totals
    Yikes! 1703 calories!!! 470 of it was from the burger. I wish I had looked at the nutrition chart before I ate it. It is a big difference from the Laura's brand I usually buy. Ouch!

Carbs 90.2g (21%); Protein 54.3 grams (12%); Fat 67%

Not enough protein for my lean body mass. I noticed that I didn't go as long between meals without getting hungry. I was stuffed at dinner but then hungry right before bed. I should have put some beef in the sauce too.

Exercise
    I went ice skating with my DD for an hour (probably 30 minutes of actual skating); The whole family walked to the Tennis courts and back w/30 minutes of Tennis.

I was rather tired today though I've been getting 7.5-8 hours of sleep each night. It was the last day of my cycle so I may be low on iron plus having some carb flu. My allergies are bothering me too. I went to the church yard sale and got some size 10's to wear. My 12's are getting very loose. However, I don't want to spend to much as I hope to not stay too long in the 10's.

Sunday

Weight: 154

Food Log
    B: Sausage Patty, 2 coffees w/heavy cream
    S: 1 piece of turkey bacon
    L: Lunch at Golden Corral: Romaine Salad w/grilled chicken, peppers, onions, cherry tomatoes, almonds, dried cranberries, oil and vinegar; 5 oz steak; green beans
    D: Rotisserie chicken (skin eaten); romaine salad w/onion and 12 TB homemade ranch; 2 carrot sticks, some cucumber slices, 2 tomato wedges, 4 pepper strips; 2 blackberries

Mmm today was a challenge. I had to grab something quick before running to church. While at church, my parents called me to tell me they were on their way to my house. They live 3 hours away so they would be arriving about 1:30. My sister's birthday is this week, so that meant we were all going to go out to eat. I called my husband to let him know and he let me know that his out-of-state friend and his friend's family were also going to be arriving at same time. I had no idea by the way that either group was coming. So we all went to Golden Corral. I am not fond of the place except their yeast rolls and I made it through without eating one. My husband invited his friends over for dinner. Since what I had planned was not nearly enough, we ended up getting a rotisserie chicken, making a salad and veggie tray, some corn and stuffing. His friend brought a fruit tray. I skipped the corn and stuffing but I did snag 2 of the blackberries from the fruit tray. I love blackberries.

Fitday Totals
    Calories 1646 Carbs 46.4 % (11%) Protein 107.2 (27%); Fat 62%

Yikes, still too high in calories. I was hungry today.

Exercise
    Swordfighing class -because of the rain, we were stuck in a smaller area doing 1 on 1 and 2 on 2, with the number of people I didn't get many go arounds like I do when we do larger group free for alls. It was also cut short because of lightening; I did some plank work while watching the football game.

I was so sleepy today. I had trouble staying focused in church and barely made it to the end of the Jets game last night. It's been two weeks since I saw my sister. I am 6 pounds lighter (but looks like I lost even more) and got a new haircut (a reward for getting to 160) in that time. She said she barely recognized me LOL. I hate to be narcisstic sounding but it does feel good when people notice your hard work. The funniest thing was I asked my husband how my new outfit looked this morning before church and he said it looked nice. It's our ritual. On Sunday mornings, I fish for a compliment because he doesn't notice things on his own. He usually gives a sidways glance and says "fine." Occasionally, I put on something ridiculous to see if he notices. Well, he saw me that morning. He saw me briefly at church. He saw me at home for the hour between church and leaving to restaurant. We rode together in the van to the restaurant. When we were walking in, it was like he saw me for the first time. He stopped and said "Wow Honey, you are really looking great!" I was still wearing the same thing I had one earlier in the day when I asked him. He started talking about getting in shape last night and did one round of plank work with me.

Monday

Weight: 153.5

Food Log
    B: Sausage patty (actually it was more of a lunch appetizer lol)
    L: Laura's lean beef patty topped w/ homemade salsa, broccoli w/butter, small salad w/homemade ranch- plus a few slices cukes, tomatoes,
    S: Thick slice turkey ham celery w/ almond butter
    D: Salad w/ raspbery vinaigrette, chicken, bacon, toasted pecans, celery, onions, apple chunks, grape halves.

I was stuffed today. Late breakfast -ate a sausage patty just to keep me from starving while I fixed lunch. Then, I could not finish my lunch. Finally got hungry aas we were leaving for Scouts 6 hours later. So I grabbed a chunk of turkey ham and at the meeting, I nibbled on celery and almond butter from our snack tray (I bring healthy snacks each week -this week: apple slices, melon balls, pineapple chunks, celery and pepper slices, almond butter (plus some cheezits and peanut butter because my daughter doesn't buy into primal yet). The girls ate most of the veggies, some of the fruit, a bit of peanut butter (none had tried almond butter ever so it was "new"), and just a tiny bit of the Cheezits. We also did jump rope games as part of learning how to have fun while getting in shape. I've got to do the food pyramid soon and I'm not sure how to deal with that.

Fitday totals
    1300 Carbs 51.7 (15%) Protein 87.2 g (27%) Fat (58%)

Exercise
    I did Mark's bodyworkout at level 1 (w/squats at level 3). I could only do one round of each exercise. I am so embarrased to be out of shape. This kicked my butt. I hurt for quite a while afterwards (and of course, it was one of those days my son couldn't find anything so I was up and down the stairs looking for it and it was so hard to do those stairs. I did some jump roping with my scout troop that night. I also did some self-defense sparring with my son.

Today I felt neither great nor bad. I was pretty perky for Scouts but I feel drained now. I am sure I will fall asleep quick.

Tuesday

Weight 153

Food Log
    B: 2 eggs scrambled w/butter and milk; 3 slices Canadian bacon; coffee w/heavy cream
    L: pulled pork, 2 bites of slaw, 3 slices roast beef; cucucmber, carrot, and pepper slices
    S: almonds (1/4 cup)
    D: Light Kielbasa w/diced cooked tomatoes, zuchinni, peppers and onions

I had lunch at a golf tournament/charity fundraiser. They had pulled pork sandwiches w/ white buns; slaw, potato salad and chocolate chip cookies. Beer and soft drinks to drink. I found a water and had some pork and slaw. I didn't care for slaw (never have) so only had a few bites. The pork was tasty. However, it didn't fill me up and I was sure there were probably non-primal ingredients in it, so I pulled out my emergency food that I had brought in case. My kids kept stealing part of it lol. I ate most of the almonds at lunch and then finished the rest in the evening. My husband had a softball game at 6:30 and my daughter had dance from 5:30-6:30 so dinner was going to be late. I made dinner. It looked good, tasted good but I was full after I ate less than half. I nibbled a bit more but decided I was eating it because it there more than because I was hungry so put it away. It will be good on top of scrambled eggs this morning.

Fit Day Totals
    Calories 1492 Carbs 54.2 (14%); Protein 120 gr (33%); Fat 52%

This is totally estimating of course. I couldn't find pulled pork on Fitday so used pork w/barbecue sauce. Southern BQ though is different than regular old BQ sauce.

Exercise
    20 minutes walking; 30 minutes Tennis Lite

Other
    I have a cold sore. Since the primal diet is rather high in lysine rich/low arginine type foods by nature, I think it is detox/stress related. I am taking a lysine supplement to combat it and took some zinc and vitamin D too. I cut open a vitamin D tablet and rubbed it on the sore rotating it with Abreva.

My skin seems dryer than normal so no improvement there.

I am not yet feeling energetic. I am really low on energy in the mornings and evenings but seem to do okay during the day. I hope this passes.

Im really dragging today. I didn't sleep well last night. I stayed up late and got up early and didn't sleep much in between because I was afraid of oversleeping.

Was up a half pound today too -though that might be to weighing a different time, the pork yesterday, or just daily water level differences.

Wednesday

Weight: 153.5

Food Log
    B: 2 eggs scrambled w/butter and milk topped w/leftover turkey kielbasa, diced tomatoes, onions, peppers, zucchini; coffee w/ half tbsp heavy cream
    L: Spaghetti Squash topped with spaghetti sauce, Italian Sausage, peppers and onions
    S: 14 almonds
    D: Big slice turkey ham; 1/2 cup grapes

Ate lunch rather late -just wasn't hungry. Thus lunch was late afternoon and I couldn't finish it but I was hungry a few hours later. I picked up some almonds at store and ate a few and drank more water. I wasn't sure if it was real hunger or just being nauseated from the Lysine I took before I left the house. When I got home at 8:30, I really wasn't that hungry so had light dinner.

FIt Day Totals
    Calories 1188; Carbs 66.4 (21%); Protein 75.2 g (26%) Fat (53%)

Exercise
    Ran 15 minutes of intervals and 15 minutes of just walking; Had planned to walk a little longer but my DH drove by and wanted me to go to store with him. When we got back it was raining again.

Other
    Was so wiped out all day yesterday. I had very little sleep the night before. The cool and rainy day sure didn't help. Cold sore is driving me crazy. I notice that I get a mental hunger at times I know I "should" eat but that my body is not that hungry.

Weight 154

*keep gaining???? I think it is because my weighing time gets getting bumped up.

Food Log
    Breakfast: sausage patty and tomato slices; coffee w/tsp of heavy cream
    Lunch: Laura's beef patty topped w/homemade salsa, broccoli w/ butter, cucumber slices
    Snack: Hunk of turkey ham
    Dinner: Chicken Salad made w/grapes, light mayo, a touch of homemade ranch, celery -both dark and light chicken but mostly white

Not hungry much at all today

FitDay Log
    Calories 1249 Carbs 48.3g (14%); Protein 96.2g (31%); Fat (54%)

Exercise
    Went to gym with housemate and walked 1 hour and 15 minutes on treadmill. It's been raining here all week so I wanted to get some time in for my 3-5 hours.

Other
    Overall, I felt pretty decent but not fabulous or energetic yet. I don't feel fatigued but just rough around the edges. By bedtime, I am extremely tired which is good as usually I can't get to sleep. I got at least 8 hours sleep (minus the trips to the bathroom but I have had to do several times a night for over 10 years). My cold sore seems to be healing quickly.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast