Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salad Recipes page

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

Majority of people consider salads to be bland, boring, and down-right tasteless without mounds of their favorite dressing. I've been looking up new ways to make delicious salads, and was hoping you guys would also have some great suggestions..Here is what I've found works well..

Watercress, apricots, almonds, shallots

Spinach, cranberries, walnuts, carrots, red onion

Tomatoes, watermelon, cukes, basil, chives and cilantro

Carrots, cukes, mint leaves, red wine vinegar

Fuji apples, lemon juice, tuna, celery, carrots, walnuts, golden raisins

Beets, carrots, oranges, red onion, walnuts

Pomegranate, spinach, mint leaves, green onion

Zucchini, squash, portobello mushrooms, parsley, tomatoes

Grilled peppers, tomatoes, black olives, red onion, parsley, lemon juice

Pumpkin seeds, pears, turkey slices and hard-boiled egg, dash of cinnamon and honey

Apricots, pistachios, lemon juice, parsley

Mango, avacado, salmon, orange slices, lemon juice

Peaches, chicken, radishes and avacado

Phew! What have you got?

62shelby Guest

Jess, what a great list!

I like spinach, crisped up prosciutto, chopped boiled eggs, tossed in a dijon balsamic vinagrette with some sunflower seeds.

also broccoli, bacon, mayo, raisins, sunflower seeds. whole foods make it near me, I love it.

I figured out how to use my mandolin recently and having been shaving fennel finely to put in salads as well.

going to try out your salads though!

kjake55 Guest

I make 6 qts of salad every couple of days in my house and they always have the same base: 2-3 lettuce types (including red leaf, green leaf, romaine, radicchio or whatever others I get from the co-op), grape tomatoes, onion, bell peppers-green, red, yellow, orange & purple (when in season), salad greens (or edible weeds), sun-dried tomatoes, carrots, celery, radishes, olives (green & black), sunflower seeds. Then I throw in the "extra-specials" this last salad had broccoli, fennel and artichokes.

The next which I'll make tonight for the weekend will have a cabbage base instead of lettuce (thanks to the co-op again) as well as roasted roots and more fennel. Probably some apricot kernels and eggplant.

When I take a lunch portion I always throw some protein in, chicken, sardines or whatever meat was left over from the night before.

My next step is to learn to make my own dressings. I'm dwindling down the several bottles of Newmanís Own that I had in the fridge and I haven't replaced any. I also found salad dressing glass bottles at K-Mart so once I run out of the Korg stuff I want to try my hand at making my own (O&V can get boring after a while)...

Hey Jess, you have such great salad ideas which I plan on trying, any dressing ideas?

Eat greens to live green! :-)

Baby spinach

orange pieces &/ or strawberries

cashews or pecans

red onions

Goat cheese

w/ dressing made from Light Rice Vinegar, Greek Yogurt, maple Syrup & poppy seeds. (Needless to say, a little of the dressing goes a long way!).

ohiolopez is offline Junior Member

Here is a post from Mark Bittman:

Great food writer

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...rssnyt&emc=rss

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

Aw I can't take credit for all of those, I think some I thought of but most were from websites that I recorded (I record a lot.) KJake - I don't usually use dressing, although I wouldn't mind making something similiar to honey dijon mustard (love that stuff..) None of you have salad dry? I get the oddest looks from my roommates (who pour ceasar and ranch on top of..EVERYthing..) but I think fruit, olives or onions put enough taste into my meal.

How long do your dressings usually last?

Jedi is offline Member

Jess I either throw on different oils and vinegars fresh each day, or make up a dressing that will last 3 or 4 days.

AndreaC is offline Member

Randomly tried this yesterday because it's all I had around:

Homemade mayo, tuna fish, garlic powder, artichoke hearts (brine marinated) and a drizzle of the brine

Serve on whole romaine leaves (like little boats of awesomeness).

I guess when you eat it like that it's more like a "sandwich" but it's a salad to me.

AndreaC is offline Member

OOoh AND

Romaine

Toasted pine nuts

Slivered red onion

Goat cheese

Balsamic and olive oil mix

Nothing else needed, soooo good. (Though you could totally go crazy and add arugula or raspberries)

eva
    eva is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

spinach, 1 grilled peach, lots of crispy fried bacon, balsamic, and some nuts

strawberries, cuces, green apple, slices of steak, balsamic

spinach, grilled beets, goatscheese, bloodpudding, raspberries, walnuts, balsamic

challenge yourself
    i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast