Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Protandim: Antioxidant Supplement (I'm skeptical but want MDA's opinion) page

stjoad is offline Junior Member

Protandim: Antioxidant Supplement (I'm skeptical but want MDA's opinion)

Primal Fuel
    Hi guys & gals.

If you're familiar with Sean Croxton of Underground Wellness, you know he's a pretty legit dude and is fairly in-line with Mark and TPB. I've been following him for a couple years and, for the most part, he's got my trust.

For the past 2-3 months, he's been hyping a certain product that he's been testing out. Turns out it's Protandim (as he revealed tonight), a supplement made by LifeAdvantage. Here are the reasons I'm interested:

-Supposed to fight free radicals at a level no dietary antioxidant intake can
    -As a result of this, reduces oxidative stress, thus vastly reducing risk of many diseases and illnesses, as well as slowing down aging
    -There appears to be a ton of academic studies supporting its claims.
    -I trust Sean Croxton

Now, the reasons I'm very skeptical:

-I'm not into taking a 'magic pill'; as a PBer, I feel much more inclined to ingest totally natural foods.
    -It's being sold through network marketing (aka multilevel marketing), which is inherently sketchy.

I'd like to get everyone's opinion from MDA, and hopefully Mark's at some point. Here's the page on Underground Wellness where you can read about it:

http://undergroundwellness.com/protandim-uw/studies/

Here's the main website:
    http://www.protandim.com/

As I said, I'm skeptical but would like to read more about it. Please share your thoughts here!

Bump - any opinions?

Djzander is offline Member
    I'm in the very same boat as you on this one. I like Sean and trust him but the supplement game can get pretty fishy. I know he wouldn't endorse it if he didnt think it was at least semi legit but all of the preemptive hype he did before hand made me think of him as a little sleazy. I guess what I still dont get is how this stuff was on the shelves for as long as it had been and no one has talked about it. Also besides him claiming he has been in the gym lifting hard 3+ days in a row with no soreness how else can we measure its effectiveness without lab reports? I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt but i wont be dropping my $ for it until I see the proof in the pudding.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Don't do it. It's just the following. You can get them cheaply, separately and they're not things you should take continuously anyway - except for the GTE and the tumeric. I take an 1/8th tsp tumeric on my tongue twice a day. Talk about cheap.

• Milk thistle extract (Silybum marianum) (seed)
    • Bacopa extract (Bacopa monnieri) (aerial part)
    • Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) (root)
    • Green tea extract (Camellia sinensis) (leaf)
    • Turmeric extract (Curcuma longa) (rhizome)

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    Don't do it. It's just the following. You can get them cheaply, separately and they're not things you should take continuously anyway - except for the GTE and the tumeric. I take an 1/8th tsp tumeric on my tongue twice a day. Talk about cheap.

[/LIST]
    Thanks That's nice to know. It's funny, the company that makes this product has a work-around by saying:

"Purchasing the ingredients separately — like milk thistle, green tea, etc. — is not the same as taking Protandim because you won’t be able to isolate the extracted material. In addition, the synergy of the ingredients, as combined in the patented Protandim formula, are demonstrated to be many times more effective than the ingredients individually."

Somehow I doubt they're telling the truth...

UWTVsean is offline Junior Member
    I hope you all don't mind if I chime in here. Found this thread on a Google search.

The specific blend of ingredients in Protandim is more powerful than if they were taken separately. If you take away one ingredient or change the proportions of another, you do not have the same product. The Protandim blend was actually the 84th blend that was tested. It was found to be 18 times more potent than the previous 83. They tried around 200 more blends and none came close to number 84.

You can try to put it together on your own, but you may not get the same benefit. I know it sound like a selling point, but as I did my due diligence on the product, I made sure that there was some science behind this claim.

You may find that science here - http://undergroundwellness.com/wp-co...Study-2008.pdf

This study entitled Synergistic Induction of Heme Oxygenase-1 by the Components of an Antioxidant Supplement Protandim demonstrates the synergism of the ingredients. It made it through peer-review on the first round (like all of the other Protandim research). The study takes a few reads to fully wrap your head around, but it thoroughly explains the company's claims. It also shows an increase in glutathione by 300%.

Anyway, I hear you , Djzander. The hype went on for too long. We were supposed to do that show two weeks ago, but had a scheduling issue with our guest. I had to stretch it out. It was effective though. We had quadruple the live listens on the radio show.

I was a HUGE skeptic of Protandim. So is Mark. And that is all good with me. I've read those studies over and over again. I've been looking at this product for over a year. It passed the test.

Be sure to look at those LSU skin cancer studies. Based on those studies, there is a well-known cancer center that will be adding Protandim to their protocols. Very exciting stuff is happening. I just wish people would put the time in to giving it fair shot instead of having the "they're trying to rip me off" mentality. If it's not good, I won't put my name on it. No way. I've worked to hard to get here.

Thanks, guys!

Sean

More Protandim studies - http://undergroundwellness.com/protandim-uw/studies/

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Well, the science is certainly not definitive in a clinical sense. These are animal cell cultures incubated with stuff. You simply cannot extrapolate directly to a human (an entire complicated interacting system) ingesting (bringing digestive issues into play) a supplement. It's suggestive and interesting, yes. But it's the kind of study that functions as a stepping stone to further studies - not recommendations to change one's diet.

shemdogg is offline Senior Member
    Don't waste your money

Quote Originally Posted by avocado View Post
    Well, the science is certainly not definitive in a clinical sense. These are animal cell cultures incubated with stuff. You simply cannot extrapolate directly to a human (an entire complicated interacting system) ingesting (bringing digestive issues into play) a supplement. It's suggestive and interesting, yes. But it's the kind of study that functions as a stepping stone to further studies - not recommendations to change one's diet.
    Well said. I'm very interested in seeing further studies (and will continue to read the existing ones), but I'm certainly not willing to spend $50 for a months's supply of a supplement that isn't a sure thing. For now, I'm going to look into GTE and tumeric as stand-alone supplements...

speakingtruth is offline Junior Member
    Frankly it's just disappointing to see someone I once respected and trusted go the way of the MLM scam. Seriously, despite all the claims to the contrary, PubMed or not, Protandim is a combination of basic antioxidants (for whose quality cannot be accurately vouched, correct me if I'm wrong, but have said ingredients been verified by an independent third party, i.e. not another rung in the MLM ladder?) and Ayurvedic herbal adaptogens. The fact that the manufacturers claim some special synergistic combination only seen in their very own, UNIQUE and PATENTABLE formula is just a skip, hop and a jump away from how Big Pharma operates. IMHO, I'd rather buy SOD and Curcumun 95 from Life Extension, at least their profits go to support their research and further development of high quality supplements, rather than making money for the one guy on top of the pyramid.

This product truly claims to be a panacea and the magic bullet approach doesn't appeal to me. it's funny how Sean's popularity has exploded these past few years and attracted fans and followers whose main interests lie outside the realm of alternative health. These followers do not possess the kind of knowledge, information or experience to adequately question what's going on here. They are perfect fodder to fill in the lower echelon of this pyramid scheme.

Maybe Protandim is truly one amazing panacea. We do not know. Maybe the ingredients are incredibly potent, strong and otherwise amazing. Great. It still reeks of Herbalife "work from home" BS and the same kind of MLM structure of all the horrendous acai berry scams that have overtaken the net these past few years. Now, I'm wondering where are all the motivational images of fancy cars and stacks of money that go long with "running your own business" and "making millions from home?" Or, instead of operating like Amway, does the Protandim scam operate like Shakelee and attract people based on the premise that their product is "natural" and "healthy" and that they can make money "working from home", nevermind the fact that no one actually makes money from these operations anymore, after all, hocking a supplement whose true revenue goes to the top of the pyramid does not wealth make. I'm curious to see how soon these ads pop up on Craigslist or on those little miniature road signs advertising work-from-home opportunities. This too will go the way of the acai berry, trust. Oh wait, it already did. There's a Protandim being sold on eBay for $35.95. You can get 2 for $60. Just Googling Protandim and Craigslist yields over 21,000 hits from Craigslists all over the country. Yeah, totally an in-demand supplement that I need to drop $50 on. Wow.

Anyway, I really don't mean to hate on Sean or bash him here, but after my critical comments of the MLM operation were deleted from his Facebook page, I decided to vent my opinions elsewhere. Obviously anyone is free to do whatever they please and spend money on whatever the want, I just personally feel exploited by Sean's relationship with this company. Using your YouTube/Facebook to promote your company whilst educating people -- fine, great. Using the success you've gathered from such an endeavor to promote MLM is just shady. Apparently all the commenters oohing and ahhing at this spectacular opportunity on his Facebook clearly had a bit of their Kool Aid spiked with some acai.

Either way, whoever is at the helm of this operation clearly has some deep pockets. Funding two University studies AND paying for a spot on ABC Primetime can only indicate some major Big Pharma ties, or at least some verrrry deep pocketed investors. Really, Protandim's efficacy aside, this whole operation, everything from the language used, talking/selling points, the work-at-home promise, and everything else, is the SAME mumbo jumbo used when one of my friends got caught up in the MLM scam Monavie. Interestingly, this same friend was also involved with the Landmark Education pseudo-cult, and interestingly enough, our friend Sean is also hooked up withl Landmark. I'm not saying participating in Landmark makes you a shyster or con artist, as many people claim they benefit from the seminars, but the one thing Landmark and MLM scams have in common are the suspension of critical thinking. In their world, being a critical thinker makes you "negative." Right. The internet is filled with new agey wolves in sheeps clothing these days and we all need to think critically and think for ourselves. I'll get off my soapbox now, just wanted to throw in my $.02 since Sean deleted it from his page.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast