Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why aren't I losing weight? page

peril is offline Senior Member

Why aren't I losing weight?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Actually I don't want to.

However I've a few thoughts on why others aren't losing weight, but don't want to challenge any individual directly.

One of the problems of self reporting (eg fitday, nutritiondata) calorie consumption is that we are notoriously unreliable at it, with under-reporting the norm. This means that counting calories is very hard and, for most a pointless activity.

What should you do instead? What worked for me, actually without trying, was making real changes to the composition of my diet. I did this one meal at a time:

* first, I stopped having sandwiches for lunch, opting to make an olive oil drenched salad with sardines or tuna. Lost some weight

* after that I changed my breakfast from cereal to legumes (not suggesting anyone do this, see below). Lost more weight

* next I stopped eating pasta/rice/bread/potatoes etc at dinner, substituting more vegetables for bulk and covering them in olive oil. Lost more weight

* finally, I changed breakfast again, to meat-based curries with a load of saturated fat. Gained weight but farting less

Don't mind the gain in weight as I started LHT around the same time. But some of it is abdominal fat so I've got something to work on there. Suspect cutting back on the fat and protein at breakfast and some cheese snacking in the evening will help.

The point here is to take it slowly. Change one thing at a time. See what works for you. You've got a long time to get it right

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    +1

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    I agree. Tweaking habits takes time and a lot of mindfulness.

LP30 is offline Junior Member
    I've noticed the belly fat and love handles as well. Other body parts lean but not those so I too have decided to cut back on fats for a spell to see the reaction.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    I also think people forget how much stress and sleep affect weight loss....rather, maybe I should say how elevated stress levels and lack of good sleep prevent weight loss/promote fat storage.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

MichaelA is offline Senior Member
    peril: excuse my ignorance, but what is LHT stand for? weight gain doesn't necessary means more body fat. To be accurate in your understandings you need to monitor body fat.
    LP30: cutting back on fats wont make you leaner... au contrary
    Last edited by MichaelA; 09-23-2010 at 06:01 AM.

queen_sheba is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kennelmom View Post
    I also think people forget how much stress and sleep affect weight loss....rather, maybe I should say how elevated stress levels and lack of good sleep prevent weight loss/promote fat storage.
    what if you are narcoleptic and sleep to the point of being a lazy cow? Different end of the scale
    Scottish Sarah

Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

Give me a poke on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pistepals
    **Remember to tell me your forum name so I know who you are!**

Victoria is offline Senior Member
    +1 good point.

I've been primal since June and have not lost much weight, apart from a few pounds that fluctuate. However, but experimenting with food (and working out regularly) I have started to tone up and lose inches.

I cut dairy out completely at first, then when my husband and step kids were here I added it back in. I gained a few pounds over the summer because of this. Now I keep my dairy consumption to a minimum, so that it won't interfere with weightloss, but I can still enjoy it as a treat.

I'm still experimenting with the level of carbs I need, but right now I believe I am better at consuming between 60-80g a day (roughly). Every now and then I add in sweet potato, or even the occasional baked potato, on the days when I'm in dire need of a pick me up (my dancing days usually if I overdo it, or when I perform).

So yes, I agree whole heartedly. Take it slow and don't expect a huge change in your weight (unless you are extremely lucky!). Women in particular, I've noticed, don't always see the big changes that the men do. As a woman though I can tell you I am feeling so much better like this. I can see my body changing (particularly round the stomach and wasit area - my abs are starting to show a little when I dance!). the scale can tke a hike! I'd still like to lose a couple of dress sizes though.
    "For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks." - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

My Facebook (please send a message to introduce yourself though!)

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by queen_sheba View Post
    what if you are narcoleptic and sleep to the point of being a lazy cow? Different end of the scale
    Good point. I don't know many folks with narcolepsy, but laziness is another matter. That's much more common LOL
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

LP30 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelA View Post
    peril: excuse my ignorance, but what is LHT stand for? weight gain doesn't necessary means more body fat. To be accurate in your understandings you need to monitor body fat.
    LP30: cutting back on fats wont make you leaner... au contrary
    Just an experimentation with my ratios. I've been tinkering ever since I hit plateau and taking notes at the differences. I love me some fat so I'm not eliminating it, just experimenting. If you have any suggestions on the spot reduction please advise. I was, however, most lean when I didn't eat endless amounts of fat. Maybe I should have written I'm decreasing calories and keeping ratios the same. I look and feel good, just not the epitome of ripped. I've had it before and will search till I have it again.

Any input is welcome. I love this place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast