Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brand new to this and trying to feed a kid! page

amzzzy is offline Junior Member

Brand new to this and trying to feed a kid!

Primal Fuel
    After being diagnosed with food allergies over a month ago now, I did some research and found the Primal Blueprint! It has been a godsend, as I'm allergic to grains (and Soy). I bought the book and the cookbook and have really been enjoying the recipes. I have a 9yr old son who has severe allergies and asthma and I believe this diet would help him tremendously as well. He's a very picky eater and is addicted to bread and milk. Are there any kid-friendly Paelo recipes, tips, advice out there? Any advice/suggestions is much appreciated!

I look forward to learning more about the Primal way of life!

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Well the first thing you need - and indeed must - understand is that the Primal Blueprint is NOT paeleo, there are MASSIVE fundamental differences, which Mark has detailed, in his usual excellent and comphensible style here (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/whats-the-difference-between-primal-and-paleo/) - the biggest difference is that paeleos are still TERRIFIED of sat fats and promotes them as being the fundamental cause of CHD (which we all know to be absolute hogwash), they also severely restrict egg consumption (because eggs are so terribly bad, because of all the 'evil' cholesterol they apparently contain, dontcha know...?)

I looked into Paeleo before I found TPB and realised just how silly (to me at least) Paeleo was.

I'm not a mum, so can't help you with any kid-friendly Primal recipes, but many here are (NutMeg's usually an excellent source of such things, as is CillaKat), I just wanted to set you straight on the fact that Primal and Paeleo aren't two sides of the same coin - they really are two very different things...

Sarah
    La tristesse durera toujours...

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    You may be in for a rough time. You will have to wean your son of bread, but I doubt he'll like it. I'm not a parent so I have no strategies for helping you. You should try to find raw A2 milk (e.g jersey milk) or try raw goats milk.

Also, wean your kid of sugar (now there is a massive challenge into today's sugar saturated society). What primal foods does your son like? What meats and vegetables are his favourites?

amzzzy is offline Junior Member

thanks for the warm welcome....

I did mention I was BRAND new to all this didn't I?

I have been in 2 months of HELL!! And all I have is this forum and a book. Sorry, if I'm not speaking caveman yet.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    I would start with the bread and keep the milk, just switch to full fat if you aren't already feeding him that.

(I have two little boys.)

Ok, so he's a bread addict? Well... give us some more info? What else does he like. My non primal neice and nephew are very happy without bread when at my house, but I have to be creative.

Breakfast favorites: omelettes, frittata muffins with chopped bacon and leeks, crepes with fruit, a drizzle of dark chocolate and freshly whipped cream, coconut muffins (I can share recipe)

Lunch favorite: The snack platter. Every child I have fed this to adores it. Mine has two cold meats (usually cold sliced chicken and either beef or ham) cheese (not sure if you can do cheese with your allergies) sliced veggies and homemade dip, sliced fruit, nuts, hardboiled or devilled eggs, beef jerky.

Other lunch likes include soups and salads with meat and plenty of homemade dressing.

The groklings favorite dinners: http://www.justinowings.com/b/index..../meatza-meatza MEATZA!!!!!!!!!! I make individual sized ones with pineapple happy faces! Chicken wings (for the boys I just do a spice shake, usually 2p part garlic powder, 2p onion powder, 2p paprika, 1p salt and pepper, sprinkled on the wings before baking at 450 until crispy!) they love broccoli cooked with sliced bacon, or broccoli cooked in butter. They adore cauliflower with cheese sauce. I've perfected a pretty primal cheese sauce if you can do dairy. Stew, chili (without beans), soups of all kinds, roast beef, steak, roast chicken, grilled chicken thighs, grilled or baked salmon served with hollandaise sauce. (kids love to dip!) Spaghetti and meatballs served on spaghetti squash or mushroom noodles, spaghetti squash lasagna...

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Have you thought about enlisting his help? Maybe you could talk to him about his allergies (my 6 yo has asthma as well, though we never have to use an inhaler and rarely have to use his allergy meds) and ask if he would be willing to try it out with you for a given period of time to see if it will help. He might say "no" right away when he finds out what he will have to give up, but if you help him understand that he can try wheat, sugar, etc. again after the trial period and that there are some really yummy things he can eat on this "diet", maybe he'll be willing to give it a try (I think 3 weeks is probably the minimum trial period).

Have you read about the concept of a "leaky gut"? Chances are, that's what your son is dealing with. Maybe if you read a list of some of those symptoms, he might perk up and realize that this "diet" could really help him out! Good luck.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrinking_Violet View Post
    Well the first thing you need - and indeed must - understand is that the Primal Blueprint is NOT paeleo, there are MASSIVE fundamental differences
    I really think you're overreacting here, and there are different versions of the paleo diet than what cordain wrote years ago, and primal is basically also a modified paleo diet. I think there are far more fundamental similarities than differences: Focus on whole fresh produce aka vegetables and meat is key, based on an ancestral diet. Afaik Cordain also states that the biggest issue with saturated fat is in conjunction with high GI meals. As for limiting eggs and dairy, I'm also of the understanding that meats and veggies are superior to these two types of food, but Marks primal approach is just less restrictive since they aren't necessarily detrimental to health. However both can be problematic in cases of autoiummune disorders, and if someone isn't seeing results it may be beneficial to move calories away from dairy and to a lesser extent eggs and into more meat/veggies. Cordain's paleo probably has more protein, and that approach also has its benefits.

queen_sheba is offline Senior Member
    primal takes into account "modern adapations"

Eg Paleo says - only eat what grok would have eaten

primal says, let's eat closely to Grok - but take into account, that when he was alive - eggs were probably in a nest somewhere and hard to come by. If he was given the chance, he WOULD have added them into his diet if they were more freely available. Same with butter, coconut oil etc..
    Scottish Sarah

Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

Give me a poke on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pistepals
    **Remember to tell me your forum name so I know who you are!**

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    Even if you can't get him off the bad stuff (sugar) right away, try to get as much good stuff (fat) into him as you can. Be sneaky.
    Veggies dipped in guacamole. Sausages for breakfast lunch and diner.. sweet potatoes and cauliflower mashed with lots of butter.

Wrap everything in bacon.. LOL

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm sympathetic -- my kid is just a toddler a few months into eating solid food and she's already pretty picky. We're doing OK feeding her relatively primally, but that means a lot of fruit right now. We're in the middle of transitioning her from low-fat grocery store yogurt with questionable sweeteners to real, full fat yogurt.

I'd say since your kid is older, recruit him into this by helping him understand what you're trying to do (as others above have suggested.) If he can see the difference in himself, or in you, that will certainly be encouraging.

I'd avoid calling it a "diet" as that tends to have a restrictive, negative overtone for some people. He might end up wondering if he's fat, or why he has to do it if he's not. How about "way of eating"....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast