Thread: Whole versus Refined Grains page

madeleinefulton is offline Junior Member

Whole versus Refined Grains

Primal Fuel
    Hi Mark,

So I'm new here, but I've read your book, The Primal Blueprint and I pretty much live the primal lifestyle. I don't eat wheat, or any grains at all, but I'm wondering what your take is on the whole v. refined grains argument because I have a lot of friends who try to be "healthy" by going whole grain, and have an uneasy time letting them believe whole grains are healthier.

On one hand, whole grains stimulate a lower insulin response (I think?) and are altogether digested slower than refined grains, producing a slightly less damaging insulin spike-and-crash cycle...

BUT: I've heard that lectins, essentially a plant poison that leads to auto-immune diseases of all sorts, are much more prevalent in whole grains. Furthermore, the fiber damages intestinal walls, acts as an anti-nutrient, etc., which is more or less absent on refined grains.

So I guess I'm wondering whether the effects of lectins (and fiber) from eating whole grains are worth risking over the elevated insulin response and its effects of eating refined grains?

Thanks!
    Mads

lizch is offline Senior Member
    p154 of the book
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Grains are not good for you, period. Whole, refined or otherwise. It's a little like asking what's worse - liquid cyanide, or the powdered form?
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

ericfoster3 is offline Senior Member
    Whole grains contain anti-nutrients called phytates. Re-read the book. I do often, and every time I pick up a new piece of info that i previously glossed over..

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    None of them are worth eating.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

sklnkl is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I agreed with the upper one.