Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating the right kinds of fat - because I've gotten more fat! page

jesselperry Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Ok, so I'm not especially huge, but I have gained visible body fat since (I thought) I was doing the Primal diet. At first, I was just having grains in the morning, then I cut them out completely. I tested the eating plan all this last summer and had all the ratios down & was going for a 3,000 calorie diet (I'm naturally very much a hard gainer, so my body will stay slim if I don't eat a lot and I want to gain muscle). That being said, I figured the cheapest & best way to get the fat I now need is olive oil & nuts. So, needless to say - I went crazy on both of those. Not completely. I kept my ratios correct, but I was eating a lot of both of those to keep my fat intake high. My goal was (and is, but I'm considering changing it) to take 2 "shots" of olive oil everyday (in shot glasses) and eat enough nuts to get my fat content up there. I still got fat from other areas, but those were my main two.

But, after reading some forums, I've seen some talk that I should limit my nut intake and also my olive oil intake! So, now, I'm really confused. I do know that I haven't had the best results from trying what I thought to be the PB way, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't eat nuts or olive oil - where SHOULD I get my fat? And should I really keep eating this way? I've been trying to keep it up - but continuing something thats making me gain weight is a bit disheartening. I was very trim before I started, and now I'm starting to fill out some more (in not a good way).

Thanks!!

- Jesse

SullynNH Guest

Jesse...I'm a hard gainer too and am up around 4000 cals/day and have not gained fat...what does your workout look like? Are you still doing sprints? I usually eat about two servings of nuts per day (almonds and walnuts)....still get plenty of EVOO with no issues either....

I would look at the workouts, if you are a true hardgainer and are hitting some brief, yet intense workouts those cals should not be a problem....to just maintain I need around 3200-3400 cal/day, as a reference pt for you

jesselperry Guest

SullynNH - Thanks for your reply!

I'm doing P90X (now a hybrid version of it) and have done a few rounds of it. It's not the most exact Primal workout.. but it definitely involves a lot of heavy lifting & interval (shorter) style workouts. So I think my workouts are fine, at least I don't think that's the major issue. I believe it almost certainly has to do something with my diet.

I read somewhere that olive oil can cause weight gain & I chugged that down over the summer. Do you think that is it? Also, I may cut down to just a few servings of nuts, like you have. As of now, I have no problem with eating half a jar of (good, not Jif, etc) peanut butter in a day, along with some servings of almonds. The other thing could be that I don't watch my fruits as much.. sometimes as many as 5-6 servings a day.

SullynNH, where do you get your fat? I'm curious what kinds of foods you eat to maintain that number of calories per day?

Thank you so so much!!

SullynNH Guest

I'm a BB Coach, so very familiar with X (done 3 rounds) and now Insanity (though I am going to have to add in some resistance training)....

Peanutbutter was causing me to gain in the past...and the fruit as you alluded too, probably too many carbs...I still keep my carbs in the 100-150g range even though I eat 4000 cals...

I eat coconut/almond meal pancakes, sausages, organic butter, olive oil on salads, nuts, meats of all sorts...it adds up quicker than you think...do use a little peanut butter in a protein drink (not a lot though), not primal, but I do eat full fat greek yogurt...those are the main sources...some of my food tends to stay the same, like snacks and breakfast and always have a salad with lunch...

it's a challenge to gain...takes a lot of energy to get the results....I need would like about 10lbs of lean mass, but I'm at a plateau at this point...I just really went up on the cals the past few weeks, was only eating at a maintenance level of about 3400 before

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

I've been told to replace olive oil with coconut oil, or change it up for lard. Evidently saturated fats are what you want more of, to keep your omega 3/6 ratios balanced and in good shape. Why don't you cut your fruit intake to about 2-3 servings a day instead, and try replacing it with more fatty meats? I think you'll enjoy your meals better if you're not forcibly taking down "shots" of olive oil, but instead indulging in fat cuts of meat that will still ramp up your fat ratios. (See, I had the same question before..) I've just been advised to get most of my fats from animals, which I find personally to taste much better than any oils or nuts. Good luck.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

JesselKerry, wrong oils for mass consumption. Jess is a fast learner, new here, follow her coconut oil advice. Your O63 ratios are greatly out of whack.

Jess is a fast learner, new here, follow her advice.

SeanBissell is offline Junior Member

Jess,

I totally agree with you.

Too much nuts and olive oil, etc. Is WAY too much Omega 6.

That *can* suppress your thyroid among other problems.

If you're trying to get more fat. First and foremost try and balance your Omega 3 to 6 ratio. And *try* to get it to 1 part Omega 3 to 1 part Omega 6.

The rest can be saturated fat like Coconut oil, or some animal fat, pastured butter, etc.

I'd also say to make sure you have close to 1x your body weight in grams of protein a day.

So if you weigh 150 pounds, get close to 150 grams of protein a day.

Hope that helps!

-Sean

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

I'm not trying to gain or lose weight. But since switching to coconut oil for almost all of my cooking, I'm definitely looking leaner, even though I'm being more generous with the oil.

SullynNH Guest

If he is like me on the lean, true hard gainer side, I would suggest 15.g /lb of protein...Mark's write up on gaining using PB is probably the best advice!

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

I'm a bright girl So, do any of you use olive oil then? I suppose I should switch over to exclusively using coconot oil instead. What is that fat in coconut mostly comprised of?

Dragonmama - Interesting...What is "generous"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast