Thread: only 3 pounds lost in 2 weeks, but.....and some serious number questions page

Redflame is offline Senior Member

only 3 pounds lost in 2 weeks, but.....and some serious number questions

Shop Now
    So I have a friend with a clinic that has the high end Medical Tanita scale that spits out a full report, with Bone mass, muscle mass, etc.

I weighed 2 weeks ago, and then today. I had wanted to see a 5 pound difference, as I have ALOT to lose, but I got 3 pounds, and I am going to be happy with that. BUT the change in fat % was 9.1%...thats ALOT for just 3 pounds. I am very happy, she was very impressed (and still sceptical)

Now I just wished I had done my measurments when I started (Aug 9)

NOW, I have a couple questions, because I feel like I need to get more on track........

Now I know most of you dont worry about calories, but you have to understand that I have alot to lose, so I have to check myself continually to make sure I am on target. Is someone willing to help me with my math thinking here?

I have a 2030 cal BMR
    I am at 140 pounds lean mass (YES, I am half lean and half fat...not a good place to be, but that is changing)
    If I remember right I should have .75-1.0 grm protien per lean mass lb. RIGHT?

So if I shoot for 1500-1700 cals a day I should have a deficiency of 3500 cals a week (1 pound) at RESTING rate, and anything else burned will be 'gravy' as far as lost weight (shooting for 2 pounds a week)

Geared at 1500 cals I would have
    140 grms protien which is 560 cals
    60 grm carbs (shoot for 50-75) 240 cals
    Then that would leave me at roughly 77 grams of fat or 700 cals

Does this sound right? Remember, my goal is not only health but substantial weight loss too.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    How tall are you and what is your age?

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    Redflame,

Looking on the bright side...you have 140 lbs lean mass---which is freakin' awesome.
    Whatever you do, be sure to eat enough protein to maintain as much muscle as possible; looks like you've got that dialed in really well

What worked for me was to track my calories for a few weeks and keep them at an average say 2000 per day. When I saw I was not losing, I dropped it by about 200 to 1800. When I saw I was losing about .5 pounds per week, I dropped it again to 1600. This caused me to lose about 1 pound per week. That was too quick for me, so I upped it again to around 1800-1900, to slowly lose. In your case, find your maintenance level, which is where you are neither losing nor gaining. It might take 3-4 weeks to find this. Then, knock it down by a few hundred calories at a time. I think 500 might be too much, but you could do that if you want it to come off quicker.

Start with 1700, and see how you do for a week or two, and go from there. I have found that the BMR calculators are not that great since they are just estimates of average people. You have to find for yourself what works.

I am 44 yrs old, 5'4" and 288 lbs right now

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Keep in mind that your BMR is what you would burn if you just laid in bed all day. Even a typical sedentary person will burn about 1.2x their BMR just through daily activities - getting dressed, brushing your teeth, walking from one room to another, and so on all burn calories. So, you are most likely burning closer to 2450 calories/day. This is assuming you're sedentary. Do you exercise?

I also have to be skeptical of the Tanita. Even the best body fat scales rely on bioimpidance, which is pretty inaccurate, especially if you have different levels of hydration. Plus, the math just doesn't work out. Let's say you have a total weight of 280 and 140 lbs of fat. You would have 50% BF. If you lost 3 lbs of fat (which is a great start!), you would weigh 277 lbs total including 137 lbs of fat, which works out to 49.5% BF.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Redflame View Post
    I am 44 yrs old, 5'4" and 288 lbs right now
    Ok, this information helps. I tend to agree with theholla as far as what you would burn. If you track your calories carefully, start out at about 2400 and see how that goes. Keep the carbs fairly low(50-100g), high fats and some good protein (90-120g) in there. Give it at least two weeks before you change anything, preferably three. If you are not losing, then drop it by 200 calories and give it another 3 weeks.

Thanks for the help!

As far as activity level, I work in an office and I am up and down all day long, several activities through the week nights, and out and busy at least 1 day of the weekend, so I am on the go, but not running a 5K! LOL

I think I will shoot for 1700-2000 a day. I dont have any problem keeping my carbs between 50-70.

I have lost more than 3 pounds, that was just what I lost in the last two weeks. But I wanted to increase that a little, I wanted at least a 2 pound per week loss, and over the course of the 6 weeks I have been on this I have lost 10 pounds, and 4% body fat. yes I was at 54.2%....pretty sick, but now I am 50.1% and the number is moving in the right direction. So that is coming down and muscle mass is going up too, I can see where that could slow down the weight loss a little as well

I know I should not worry about the number on the scale, or try to lose too fast, but at my size I also know that there is room for improvement in the pace and I am just looking for that sweet spot.

So I am going to go back to tracking for awhile. When I tracked before I was only getting 800-1200 some days, especially when I IF from dinner to dinner.
    Last edited by Redflame; 09-23-2010 at 08:20 AM.