Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OK. I need an objective opinion. page

Eklecktika is offline Senior Member

OK. I need an objective opinion.

Shop Now
    Yes, this is another WHAT am I doing WRONG? post. I'm hoping it's obvious to someone, because it sure as hell isn't to me.

And no, I DON'T fall into any of the categories that Batty just posted in her link.

Beginning stats in June
    5'5"
    157 pounds
    body fat unknown, est at 30%, but no bloody idea.
    (female)

Went from lowish carb diet-mostly under 100 grams, and the occasional GF grain cracker/cookie/noodles to zero grains.

Exercise
    Walking-3-4 miles 3-5 days a week. I typically walk a 15 minute mile on average, it's up and down a few hills, but that's what I average without 'working'. Wears out the dog, stretches my legs.

Kickboxing twice a week (I have considered this to be my sprints, as when we finish our sets I have the OMGIcan'tmove feeling you get after a good round of tabatas. I realize they aren't exactly the same, but exercise is only 20% of the deal, right? Right?

plus random horsework/lifting heavy things (sacks of grain (80 lbs) /salt blocks (50 lbs)) and plenty of play-chase the kid, chase the dog, chase the horse that doesn't want to be caught.

Diet

Carbs consist of lettuce, cucumbers, broccoli, bell peppers, avocado, almonds, whatever is contained in heavy whipping cream (unsweetened, of course), (rarely) raspberries/strawberries, occasionally tomatoes, and vinegar. I am ALWAYS under 60-sometimes closer to 25 than not. I have essentially cut fruit out of my diet, with the exception of tomatoes on rare occasions, and as I mentioned, berries. I think I've had berries 2-3 times this summer?

Fat-butter, olive oil, cream, coconut milk, beef fat, lard.

Protein-beef, salmon, pork, sardines in olive oil, eggs. Once in a while whey protein, but that's maybe once a month? Maybe? I figure on getting a minimum of 80 grams of protein a day, under 50 grams of carbs, and the remaining calories come from fat. I drink a small amount of wine-usually a small (4 oz) glass with dinner a couple days a week. Since I started I have finished exactly 1 bar of dark (85%) chocolate and that was melted down with butter to make a ganache-ish ball, maybe a quasi-truffle.

Yesterday is a typical day
    coconut milk - 1/3 cup
    coffee w Heavy whipping cream - 3 oz
    Raw almonds - 1 oz
    pulled pork (with fat) - 8 oz
    Salad with mixed veggies- 4 oz lettuce (mixed), 3 TB EVOO, 2 TB vinegar, a bell pepper and a cucumber.

Comes up to right at 1400 calories.
    26 gr carbs, 96 grams fat.

I haven't seen a single change in my physique. None. No muscle definition, no change in measurements. Pants fit the same. I write everything down. I don't guess on portion sizes. I don't overestimate my mileage. I get plenty of sleep. Stress is not really an issue-it was for a while during harvest, but even that was just long hours. I'm at a loss to see what's going on. I typically eat dinner at 630 or so, and fast through til lunch again, save the cream in the coffee, so my 'window for eating' is 6 hours, more or less. I don't lose sleep over it. If I'm hungry, I eat, but I also keep the adage of "If a bowl of browned hamburger doesn't sound good, you're not really hungry" in mind.

I guess I thought three months would be enough time to see a little change-I'm not looking to break any world records, just some visible progress-but in looking at everything, I don't see ANY change.

I'm not thinking I need to quit, because I AM in this for the long haul-I really do think it's the healthiest way to eat, but dammit, Jim. I'm wishing the outside would reflect the inside, because I've been working damn hard to get this right, and I look the same as I did when I started!

As far as meds go-I have weaned off the medrol,and the HC is VERY low-but appropo (and before anyone wigs out, YES the doc knows ), we've eliminated the fludro for a while to see what happens, and I'm on a full replacement dose of (dessicated) thyroid sufficient to get Free's into the upper third of the range, and temps averaging 98.6. I have no hyper symptoms, in fact, I have some hypo sx yet, but nothing new that would indicate the change to HC to be causing pooling. But that's a story for another time. New labs are pending as of Tuesday, so they will be another puzzle piece, but in the meantime, I want to eliminate as much as I can.

My thoughts-
    I'm either getting too many calories, or too few, but I don't know how to tell. Yesterday was 1400, some days are as high as 2000, some as low as 1300, depending on dinner, but the carb level is consistently low, and my 'average' intake over the last month is 1566-so allowing for wiggle room, 1600.

Something else that I'm blind to.

Anyone have suggestions? Thank you!
    Last edited by Eklecktika; 09-22-2010 at 02:09 PM.
    Chief cook & bottle washer for one kid, a dog, 6 hens, 2 surprise! roosters, two horses, and a random 'herd' of quail.

~The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something one knows nothing about and refuses to investigate~

Oh yeah, I'm 30 years old.

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    How frustrating for you!!

I suspect thyroid, even though you're on meds for it. It's possible to have cellular resistance to thyroid hormones. There are really 7 types of hypothyroidism. I highly recommend this book, which I guarantee has thyroid info you've never come across before (unless you've already read it http://www.thyroidbook.com/
    It's a very Primal-friendly book, too!

If you email them, they will send you a list of people who are trained in functional endocrinology for properly diagnosing exactly what's up with your thyroid/metabolism and exactly what to do about it:-)

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Am I correct in remembering that you are hypopit? If so, I would think all involved hormones need to be optimized before you'll see weight loss success.

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    I have thyroid issues too, and thought that I would lose more on VLC, it didn't work. I upped my carbs to about 75-150 a day, usually on the lower side, and lost 2.2 pounds in 4 days. Not everyone needs to go strict low carb, and some people can't.

My T3 is low, so we are starting Armour thyroid soon, need to find out where I can get it from in our small town.

I would agree that you may need to keep your average caloric intake a little lower, us hypos do need that on occasion. I am the same height and wieght, although 3 years older I workout about the same if not a little more than you do and i keep my calories around about 1500, so it coul dbe just a little high for you.

They already ARE about as optimal as they going to get, working with endos and such who must conform to AMA's 'guidelines'. I have emailed him; Many thanks for that! I've run the gamut - literally - with diet, and I can't figure it out. At least, at last check, we'll see what Tuesdays tests say when I receive them.

So is there nothing glaring in my diet / excercise that I need to address? If not, that's actually kind of comforting, in a perverse manner.

I swear I could go for a vacation at Bergen-Belsen and come out the same weight I went in. :-\.

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    I will be of no help but to encourage you to keep it up. Clearly, you know this is a healthy way to go! I think you are doing it right (did I miss sprinting, though?)

jasonph is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NutMeg View Post
    Not everyone needs to go strict low carb, and some people can't.

this.

rozska is offline Senior Member
    You may need to increase your carbs. For some people, less than 50 doesn't produce results, and you need to increase to between 150-100. Best of luck!
    If I don't live my dream, who will?

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Most endo's are using outdated lab ranges for interpreting the tests- not the newer "functional" ranges, so your labs could be fine by the old standard and not fine by the functional standard. Most of them are also not ordering all the tests they ought to be. Have you had your TPO, TGB and TAb all tested? And reverse T3?
    I hope you find some answers!! Some of those practitioners will work distance with you if there's no one in your area.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast