Thread: New here! page

Momof2 is offline Junior Member

New here!

Primal Fuel
    Hi I am a mom of 2 in the MD area and I was referred to primal eating by a friend. I read the book and totally agree that this is healthy way of eating. I currently weigh 195 pounds and I'm only 5 feet tall. I gained most of the weight before kids with a few years of depression (emotional eating). Then after having children I craved carbs non stop. I tend to want more carbs when I don't sleep enough. These both contributed to my weight gain. I'm only 27 and I have high cholesterol and a 40% bmi which is terrible. I want to be around for my children so I decided to make a change.

I am here for support while we (my husband and I) change to primal living.

I've been eating primal for only 4 days but I feel a complete transformation. I don't need coffee, I'm sleeping better and I'm not really hungry at all. I feel focused. I was taking medication for ADHD and was able to stop ALREADY!!! I didn't check my weight loss yet. I will be checking in 2 weeks. My overall goal is to lose 50-70 pounds.

My first question is how you deal with cravings? I am an emotional eater and when I am stressed I want my belly full of hot pasta. I had a stressful day at work today and I was able to get through the craving to binge but it would be nice to hear your thoughts.
    Last edited by Momof2; 09-22-2010 at 01:17 PM.

Setabas is offline Senior Member
    If you're new to this and feel a little confused, the Primal Leap kit is a great start. I just "found" the Primal Blueprint this summer and wasn't really figuring out how to start (I'd been a carb heavy athlete type for years). The leap kit came out right about when I was mentally ready to go and it's been great for me.

If you're more daring than I thought I was, then there's a lot on the forum here but I would still recommend getting the book.

Welcome and I wish you well as you embark on the lifestyle. I'm personally on day 10.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! I hope it works well for you.

Cravings: You must get plenty of fat - saturated and monounsaturated. You must fight your way through the carb cravings. It should only take a few days. Take your "20%". Experiment with what works for you, e.g. dark chocolate and wine, IF you can handle them. If you find yourself eating something you shouldn't, like pasta, smile, enjoy it and get right back on the wagon.

Momof2 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks. I had a terrible one yesterday. That craving lasted for 3 hours but I fought through it and the stress and I feel so much better for not caving. I don't think I am ready for that 20% rule. I need to learn to control myself first.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Momo,

I deal with my cravings very EZ. I eat a fruit such as apple, peach, or avocado. Fits right in to Marks diet. It is not easy to eat 100 carbs a day of low carb foods.

Here is is my USDA Carb Listing to help you pick healthy snacks:
    * Carb listing by name
    http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcom...t/sr18a205.pdf
    http://www.glycemicindex.ca/glycemicindexfoods.pdf
    * listing by carb numbers
    http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcom...t/sr18w205.pdf
    * Bad Carbs List - Everything on this list has a healthy low carb substitute
    http://www.vincesmuscleshop.com/Bad-Carbs.htm

Enjoy your new diet. My wife & I have crashed through 35 year plateaus, and out heart rate + BP is now down to NORMAL !
    This is the BEST diet EVER.

Grizz

ericfoster3 is offline Senior Member
    Hi Momof2. Welcome! it sounds like you are off to an amazing start.

When I get cravings, I stuff myself with fatty snacks. They are not always primal, but they keep me away from the ice cream! I always have these things on hand: pepperoni, cheese, macadamia nuts, bacon (I precook enough for the week). You'll find your own favorites, and when you do, keep them at the ready for emergencies.

have a great day!

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Hi there, I'm a mom of 1.5, also in the Maryland area. Welcome to the forum! I hope this works as well for you as it has for many others. This is a great place, very supportive.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

ericfoster3 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I'm a mom of 1.5
    Dying to know how this is possible... wait... a pet? umm.....or are you counting a husband as only half-human? HAHAHA!!

Ohhh. i just checked your journal. Congratulations...