Thread: Caring for and using cast iron page

KellyS is offline Member

Caring for and using cast iron

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone. I was recently gifted a few cast iron pieces. I was able to get them cleaned up and now I am ready to season them. My internet search on how to season cast iron recommended using vegetable or canola oil to season the pan. I don't use either of those oils since going primal. My question is, can I season my pans with butter or will it go rancid? As far as cleaning, I read to just use a paper towel to wipe pan clean. Is this sufficient?

Would love to hear what everyone else is doing to care for cast iron.

MariaNYC is offline Senior Member
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Sam Cree is offline Senior Member
    There're a lot of different ways of doing it, though they all I think require applying oil under heat. I use olive oil, usually, though frying bacon in them always does them good.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    To correctly season a pan, you heat the fat hot enough to polymerize it, so I don't think it matters what oil/fat you use. If you do it right, the polymer will form a layer on the cast iron that you will not be eating. Also, the layers of seasoning should be thin enough that even if you were "eating" the oil, it wouldn't matter. I've been fortunate enough that all the cast iron I use was inherited and has a decent seasoning already. When I do need to season a pan, I will use this method.

Sam Cree is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    To correctly season a pan, you heat the fat hot enough to polymerize it, so I don't think it matters what oil/fat you use. If you do it right, the polymer will form a layer on the cast iron that you will not be eating. Also, the layers of seasoning should be thin enough that even if you were "eating" the oil, it wouldn't matter. I've been fortunate enough that all the cast iron I use was inherited and has a decent seasoning already. When I do need to season a pan, I will use this method.
    That's a fascinating link. Even though I think my pans have a good seasoning, I may redo it according to her instructions.

skeedaddy is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    yodiewan, Thanks for including the link on how to properly season cast iron. We have tried and failed using less thorough instructions. Will re-do and let you know how it works.