Thread: Eating Primal and Kidney Function page

Sam Cree is offline Senior Member

Eating Primal and Kidney Function

Primal Fuel
    I've read quite a few posts about leg cramps here, and several about gout, including by me on the gout, an attack of which I got after being primal about 2 months. One poster, a doctor I believe, mentioned that the primal diet increases kidney filtration, which I interpret to mean that on the primal diet we need to drink more water to avoid possible dehydration. I also gather that eating extra protein, which I think we are prone to do while primal, is the cause for increased kidney filtration.

This starts to make perfect sense, since dehydration can be a contributor or cause of both leg cramps and gout. Or put another way, too much protein contributes to those things by slowing the passage of water through our kidneys.

I do remember that Drs. Eades, who advocate a similar diet to the PB, tell us to drink more water while on their diet than we were used to on the SAD.

In any case, I'm beginning to believe that it pays to not overdo it on the protein, bearing in mind that we do need a lot of it when exercising intensely. I think it could pay to eat more fat than I have, and make sure I'm getting enough vegetables too.

I don't wish to give up the PB diet, since except for the gout, I'm feeling the best I've felt in years. And I'm at the weight I want to be at. I am at least making sure to drink plenty of water. And I'm not anxious to go back to eating bread and sugar. Or go on the low fat diet my wife seems to want me on.

But what about Grok? Would he have been drinking water all the time? I'm assuming that he may have had both less water and less protein available to him than we do, but I don't know this for sure, as there were surely lots of game animals around for him to catch.

Wondering if anyone else has any comments on this.

Just bumping this post, as I was hoping for a few comments. If there aren't any, that's fine, this is a wonderful board regardless.

Adrianne is offline Senior Member
    Well in the book it says that Grok sometimes ate up to 400g of protein in one day. That sounds like a lot to me but if it's scientifically backed up then I can go along with it. Also, the book says to drink to thirst, that it's not necessary to go around chugging water if you're not thirsty.

I would say if you're concerned about kidney function, maybe visit a doctor. I have been tossing around that idea personally.

I'm not concerned about kidney malfunctions per se, just noting that I read another post here from a doctor which pointed out that increased protein intake can increase kidney filtration, which would maybe contribute to dehydration and in turn, gout. I notice a few posts here, including my own, of primal people who have been experiencing gout.

Researching this over the past few days, I've read that you get gout from eating too much protein or fructose, or drinking too much alcohol, and from dehydration, among other suspected causes. Mark suspects carbs, I think.

In any case, increased protein and alcohol intake might be contributing to gout by their propensity to dehydrate.

Goldstar is offline Senior Member
    I hate to admit it, but I've only been primal for a few months now and I've recently been experiencing some unexplained big toe pain. I've never had this before either. My gut conclusion is that it's too much protein, liver, or maybe even cream, but feeling like it's the protein or liver. Anyone else get first-time big toe pain after going primal?

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Gout is caused by the under-excetion of uric acid, which the body has only a limited ability to handle. Uric acid is produced when the liver processes fructose, alcohol, and when it converts protein to glucose. I haven't seen hard numbers about how much is too much, which makes sense because the capacity to excrete uric acid depends on many factors including genetics, and nutritional status (electrolyte balance has a bigger effect on hydration than how much water you actually drink). So if you're worried about gout, eat enough protein to meet your body's needs (I think 1g/kg lean mass is a good target since that's where glutatione production peaks), and eat enough starch to meet (or almost meet) your body's glucose needs directly, which seems to be around 150g per day, give or take.

springnr is offline Senior Member
    Good amount of water in veggies.

gunnk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldstar View Post
    I hate to admit it, but I've only been primal for a few months now and I've recently been experiencing some unexplained big toe pain. I've never had this before either. My gut conclusion is that it's too much protein, liver, or maybe even cream, but feeling like it's the protein or liver. Anyone else get first-time big toe pain after going primal?
    One big toe? I'd say a bit of an injury is much more likely. It happens. A lot of times the event itself was too minor for you to even recall it (such as a stubbed toe), but it can then persist. Could also be a pair of shoes that caused you to change your stride slightly. Again, those issues can persist for a long time and be hard to fix. If you had pain throughout your toes or issues with all your extremities I'd look for other issues, but this sounds like an injury or shoe issue.
    Life is short: Void the warranty.

Goldstar is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for all of the great tips, guys! About how much protein is 50g? I'm thinking that it's about 6oz in terms of meat portions and only about 200 calories if my calculations are correct. I weight 120 lbs.

I calculated my lean body mass to be around 96lbs, which translates to 43kg. So, if I only need 43g of protein I could get all of my needs met with just a simple 2 eggs/3 strips of bacon/3oz of another meat per day quota? OMG, I am eating waaaaaaay too much protein.
    Last edited by Goldstar; 09-13-2011 at 03:32 PM.