Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I have a real problem with being a 'senior member' page

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield

Unhappy I have a real problem with being a 'senior member'

Primal Fuel
    I don't want newbies to think that means I know stuff! I just post FAR too much, is all - I know jack sh*t about this stuff! I'd hate for some poor noob to take what I say as gospel, just because of what it says under my username...

Why can't there be some way of distinguishing the know-nothing blabbermouths (like me!) from those who know their stuff (like Griff, Batty, CillaKat, John, Joe - and probably loads of others, but those are the ones who pop instantly into my head - sorry if I've forgotten anyone else noteworthy)...

It might have been mentioned before, but it's been bothering me ever since I moved up a 'rank'...
    La tristesse durera toujours...

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Trust me, I don't necessarily know stuff. I just know my experiences and share them. I am sure there are things you have been through that you know might help someone else. I still have a lot of questions, and there are no definite answers to everything. There sure are a lot of opinions though.

Sanas is offline Senior Member
    Agreed. It took me a while to figure that out. But I will say that everyone's perspective is helpful. Maybe we have to be self-regulating in this regard. Put a disclaimer or something.

EG. Sanas: I'm a noob. Listen to me. Or don't.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Hmm... I don't think any of us are really experts, no matter how long we've been Primal. I think if you have a thought on something you should post it. Doesn't matter how much you do or don't know. Sometimes it takes somebody with "new eyes" to see the things we might not otherwise.

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    Ain't that the truth, John.
    Violet, the truth is no one knows the exact truth all the time. Some may have found out exactly what their body needs and when it needs it (Griff, batty, cilla, kuno, stabby), others are still trying to work that out. Several folks here can give you general guidelines as to what normally works, but you're the only one who can define what works for your body. I may have a gajillion and one posts, but trust me, most of those are me arguing with myself in my journal, asking questions, and answering questions I CAN help with, so I can help someone else work with their body. Most people who've spent a couple days on here don't even notice the rankings anymore. It really means very little. Even newbies can quickly figure out how little it means by watching the questions and responses.
    That being said, if it truly worries you, add a disclaimer to your signature. Something like "I'm still learning, do not construe as expert advice," or "Primal in training."
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Does anybody really pay attention to the junior/senior label to judge credibility? I would wager most people in the forums are primal because they're not the sort to take things at face value by default, certainly that would include flags in a message board system eh?

Thanks, guys, you're right - I tells ya what, though, I'm just elated to have remained on a forum long enough to have been able to make enough posts to have 'advanced' - the reason being this isn't a modded forum; the trouble with mods - and admins - I find, is they tend to have rather over-inflated egos and are rather highly-opinionated (take MDG forum for example (you all know where I mean - take each letter back one) I was banned from there for daring to suggest that frankenfoods were evil and disagreeing with someone who thought she knew all about me (she wasn't a mod, but she seemed to be very cosy with them...). Oh and I, erm, did invoke Godwin's Law once (something I don't believe I've EVER done before - because it proves your arguement specious and without foundation - you invoke Godwin's Law and, by definition, you've lost...)

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I'm disappointed that this topic isn't about being a senior citizen. Personally I can't wait to be old so I can have a sticker that says "too old to drive!" but the drive will be crossed out and it will say "too old to care!" instead. Being old is going to rule. Too bad this whole primal business will keep me healthy even in old age. This is bullshit guys I'm leaving the forums and going back to SHD. (Standard Hispanic diet...)

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I'm disappointed that this topic isn't about being a senior citizen. Personally I can't wait to be old so I can have a sticker that says "too old to drive!" but the drive will be crossed out and it will say "too old to care!" instead. Being old is going to rule. Too bad this whole primal business will keep me healthy even in old age. This is bullshit guys I'm leaving the forums and going back to SHD. (Standard Hispanic diet...)
    PMSL!! I'll join ya - hell we'll be the Granny Grokettes (I'm thinking something like the Monty Python 'Hell's Grannies' sketch - but with more meat!)

Joe
    Joe is offline Senior Member
    Yeah Violet your opinions are just as valuable. I would say JET ii nailed it - you definitely have experience in areas none of us can touch.

I spend my working days giving advice. I think it even helps some people. And yet, frequently after I hear about some mess or another a patient got himself into, I will laugh at myself, thinking sarcastically, "I'm sure glad I have MY s**t together!"

The irony of expertise is that it doesn't mean you're any better at applying it to your own problems than the next person.
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast