Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me please!!!! page

Trying4Primal is offline Junior Member

Help me please!!!!

Hi -- this is my first post....I have been primal for almost five weeks -- except for dairy (whole dairy, no low fat etc.) I have been almost 100% "perfect" in my eating. I am 38, started at 154 lbs and am now very happy at 140 lbs, having lost weight steadily since the beginning. I am having no problems with eating and losing weight, and this is the first "diet" I have ever done that made sense to me. I am not really into the logging in of calories, etc., because I want to eat like this for the rest of my life and not make it about being on a diet, but I will post some samples of what I am eating. Within 2 days of starting I think I was in ketotosis (sp?) b/c I had a very metallic taste in my mouth. It went away after a few days, but almost 5 weeks later its back. So here is my problem --- or problems:

(1) My face is breaking out like crazy (started a week ago)
    (2) I have no energy -- I need a nap most days (the whole time)
    (3) I am tossing and turning at night (the whole time)
    (4) I am suddenly nauseous -- for the last four days
    (5) I have done almost no exercise outside of housework -- of which I do a TON b/c I am so exhausted all of the time (the whole time)
    and finally,

(6) I have now caught a really bad head cold -- I am achy, stuffy, sore throat, etc. (started Monday)

What am I doing wrong?

I am usually a very energetic person -- I just had a heavy carb and sugar addiction that no amount of dieting could cease. I rarely sit still and even though I am not a huge exerciser I don't ever stop moving......
    I go to bed between 9-11 every night and wake up at 6:45 every am with an alarm, or before without one. I usually take my dogs for a three miles walk every day but I am so exhausted I can hardly do it and have not taken them out in weeks....I also do pilates once a week. I am hoping to start some primal fitness but I can barely keep my eyes open.

Eating:

Breakfast is usually eggs and bacon or sausage with a little fruit or veggies and decaf coffee with milk and occasionally a tiny bit of sugar

Lunch is soup or salad with chicken or more egg or tuna or steak. Occasionally I will eat some sweet potato fries or chips if I am out and occasionally a little cheese

Dinner is usually meat or chicken and veggies -- usually broccoli and cauliflower, summer squash - sweet potato, etc.

Snacks are jerky, almonds and I am a chocoholic so usually an ounce or more of dark chocolate chips or bar

I do eat out a lot but have had no trouble at all making a primal meal out of any menu. I also drink a lot of iced tea -- usually green and decaf.

All of the food I make at home is organic, or as close to as I can get, and I even have a huge freezer stocked with US Wellness meat and chicken and pork. I love to cook and have made all sorts of yummy primal food. My appetite is diminished as well which I am loving. Finally I take supplements every day -- sunclorella, vitamin D, B Complex, Fish Oil, Calc/Magnesium, Digestive Enzymes, and a probiotic

What am I doing wrong? If this is detox or I am just taking longer to adjust I can live with that....thank you in advance for any help you can provide!!

Marnee is offline Senior Member
    Oh dear. Well some of your problems sound like hypothyroidism. Look into the symptoms and probably get your thyroid checked.

http://thyroid.about.com/od/symptoms...ptomsrisks.htm

I've had my thyroid checked and I'm fine unless "going primal" has given me hypothyroidism? The exhaustion, symptoms began after I started eating primally.....

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Eating very low carb, <50grams/day, can cause thyroid hormone conversion problems.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I would say "you're transitioning," but 5 weeks is a long time for that. Have you gotten checked for mono? Your symptoms sound really close to how I felt when I had that.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Just4ME is offline Senior Member
    I have hypothyroidism and it doesn't sound like that, really. It does sound like detox, adjustment, and or carb flu. If you search the boards, many have posted about this. Most people usually get through it in three weeks, but some take longer. You are eating some carbs (broccoli, sweet potatoes, etc), so it might just be an adjustment period for your system.
    Starting Weight/BMI: 184/29.7
    Current Weight/BMI: 130 /21.0
    Ultimate Goal: 125/18

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trying4Primal View Post
    Eating:

Breakfast is usually eggs and bacon or sausage with a little fruit or veggies and decaf coffee with milk and occasionally a tiny bit of sugar

Lunch is soup or salad with chicken or more egg or tuna or steak. Occasionally I will eat some sweet potato fries or chips if I am out and occasionally a little cheese

Dinner is usually meat or chicken and veggies -- usually broccoli and cauliflower, summer squash - sweet potato, etc.

Snacks are jerky, almonds and I am a chocoholic so usually an ounce or more of dark chocolate chips or bar

I do eat out a lot but have had no trouble at all making a primal meal out of any menu. I also drink a lot of iced tea -- usually green and decaf.

All of the food I make at home is organic, or as close to as I can get, and I even have a huge freezer stocked with US Wellness meat and chicken and pork. I love to cook and have made all sorts of yummy primal food. My appetite is diminished as well which I am loving. Finally I take supplements every day -- sunclorella, vitamin D, B Complex, Fish Oil, Calc/Magnesium, Digestive Enzymes, and a probiotic

What am I doing wrong? If this is detox or I am just taking longer to adjust I can live with that....thank you in advance for any help you can provide!!
    You are not eating enough! Where is all the Carbs you are supposed to be eating?
    Mark wants you eating 50 to 100 grams of carbs per day:

Of THESE Foods:

His article here, Succeeding With Primal Diet:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-t...mal-blueprint/

I think I would also get sick on such a skimpy diet. It should not be too hard to boost your carbs and I think your diet looks good otherwise.

Best of health to all,
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 09-22-2010 at 02:07 PM.

Ok, I promise I am not a complete moron, but where can I find a list of foods that will boost my carbs that are not grains or beans?

I have searched the boards but can't find anything about detoxing or adjusting past the first two weeks....I'm not the best at searching -- maybe I am putting in the wrong keywords, etc....

MariaNYC is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Your face breaking out might be a reaction to dairy. one food that will help boosting carbs is sweet potato
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast