Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is store bought mayo ok?? page

cogsjon is offline Member

Is store bought mayo ok??

Primal Fuel
    Just started PB 3 weeks ago and love it!! Was just wondering if store bought mayonaise is ok or if it has something bad in it?

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Generally not. Usually uses a nasty oil (soybean, peanut, canola oil) or has gunk in it. If you can find one with a good oil and no additives, I'm sure others would love to know.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    The only condiment that sometimes works from the store is mustard actually. By the time you weed out sugars and oils there isn't much else that is still usable. Fortunately, it's pretty easy to make mayo. I love a little bacon mayo with tuna, cottage cheese, and pickled peppers. That's what I had for lunch today.

cogsjon is offline Member
    bacon mayo?? That sounds awesome!! How do you make that??

Here is a link to one recipe. This is pretty close to the one that I used last time I made mine I think. Basically, it's bacon grease, eggs, mustard, and lemon in what ever proportions you see fit and can get to whip up. There's a whole posse of different recipes floating around here.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ght=bacon+mayo

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    Generally not. Usually uses a nasty oil (soybean, peanut, canola oil) or has gunk in it. If you can find one with a good oil and no additives, I'm sure others would love to know.
    Is sunflower oil any better...? I've tried making my own and it always curdles. Most brands over here use canola (though we call it rapeseed over here) but there are 2 or 3 more 'upmarket' brands which use sunflower instead.

Preferable to canola - or still bad...? I suppose something like olive oil would be the best, but I've never found a brand made using that...
    La tristesse durera toujours...

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Slightly better, still not good, S_V.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Sunflower oil is also crap. Here is what Mark has to say on the subject.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/healthy-oils/

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I'm getting annoyed with mayo. I definitely prefer making my own, but when it's just me, and I don't use it that much, it tends to go to waste unless I eat it in gobs. I'm getting ready to say "F it" and just get something store bought. Not Kraft, mind you, but something not horrible... if I can find it.

My oils of choice are EVVO, regular olive oil and coconut oil, then used 40 weight motor oil and everything other kind lumped together. (Kinda sucks when I'm eating out and I get no say in the matter)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast