Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the proper way to break a fast...? page

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield

Question What is the proper way to break a fast...?

I ate dinner very late last night (around 11/midnight) and I've not felt hungry really at all today, so I've been IF'ing without too much effort (and I've been out to my Grokette's Grove).

This is the first time I've ever really IF'ed without thinking about it, so now I'm wondering how best to break it without eating anything and everything I can lay my hands on (I'd LOVE to be able to go to bed tonight and not eat until tomorrow morning but, sadly, I don't think that's going to happen...)

I thought I'd feel like shit but, actually, I've not felt too bad - and I feel certain I'm going to make it to 24 hours (just wish I could push for 36, but that ain't gonna happen this time around)...

Cheers, folks!

Sarah
    La tristesse durera toujours...

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I break my 18 hour each day with a good size lunch, usually of chicken with veggies. Nothing too crazy, so I can have my big meal for dinner and my blueberry smoothie for dessert.

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Just had three omega-3 eggs, and I am going to raid the vegetable crisper.

Edit: four cherry tomatoes, five radishes, a cucumber, and a tablespoon of organic coconut milk (cannot find the guac)
    Last edited by Lojasmo; 09-22-2010 at 01:04 PM.

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I break my daily fast with as much primal food as I can possibly stuff into my stomach. Always about a pound of meat with some onions and veggies. If I worked out that morning then I would sub the bulky veggies for two fairly large sweet potatoes that measure anywhere from 1-1.5 pounds together (precooked weight).

Yeah, it's a lot of food, but it's how I've been eating for about 2 months now and I've never been stronger or leaner.

Thank you, John - thought you'd be the one to respond; I'll tell you something for nowt, buddy - you're one of the folk here I've always admired, you always come across as so disciplined and you know exactly what you're doing (whereas I'm muddling along in the dark - blindfold!)

Chicken and veggies (well salad!) it will be. Not sure I can do a smoothie, as I think the blender broke and we never got round to replacing it, so I'll have berries and a little yoghurt instead!

Cheers, bro!

Quote Originally Posted by Lojasmo View Post
    Just had three omega-3 eggs, and I am going to raid the vegetable crisper.
    What eez zis 'vegetable crispair' (no, I don't know what the Inspector Clouseau impression, either!)

Chunster495 is offline Member
    I break my fasts with whatever is for dinner or lunch depending if i'm doing 16 or 24 hour fasts,.. and it really doesn't seem to matter. I've done a couple of 36 hrs in the past as well but don't think it's all that more beneficial or enjoyable... so I wouldn't sweat it if you don't make it past 24 hrs.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I haven't gone for the 24 hour yet. I have done 18-20 hours, so it's close. I will have to try it sometime and then eat a huge dinner!

You are welcome Violet. I am not expert in IF by any means, but I have enjoyed it since starting a few months ago.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Go with a normal meal and try to always make sure that you don't eat quickly. I do eat a little larger meals if I'm doing a 24 hour fast, but not as much as I would have eaten if I had eaten multiple meals. Eating slowly is something that I picked off of Johnny from the Lean Saloon and I think it's a great idea. Never rush a meal.

Nat
    Nat is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Strategies for not rushing meals anyone?
    Sipping wine and telling stories are all that I can think of, but they don't particularly suit me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast