Thread: Rosacea page

aceloew is offline Junior Member

Rosacea

Shop Now
    I believe I have some form of rosacea. At 28 years old, this is something this has really bothered me for the past 2-3 years I imagine this is a consequence of an abrupt lifestyle change (from pro athlete to office work), but either way, its something I deal with now on a day-to-day basis.

From what I gather, there are many different types of rosacea mine is strictly in the flushing/blushing department, although I hope to prevent any future permanent redness, etc. Basically, I will get abnormally flushed from stress/anxiety, alcohol, temperature extremes, exercise/sex. I realize that a lot of this is a normal bodily function, but there is no doubt this has turned into a problem. I dont think its normal to get flushed just by thinking about it.

It's certainly taken its toll on me mentally its cyclical, so sometimes I handle it better than other times. Im on Lexapro and see a therapist to ease the mental part, but I really hoping a complete primal lifestyle change will have a positive impact.

I've seen a knowledgable dermatologist -he said what I have is pretty typical and treatable, but well have to try a few things. His basic diagnosis was rosacea with flushing. He said laser treatment does help with the redness and removal of broken capillaries, but did not think I should go for laser treatment yet.

He wanted to start me on Metrogel topical once daily for what he said appeared to be minor bumps on my cheeks/prevent future bumps-breakouts, and to take an increased dosage of the antihistamine, cetirizine 10mg (1x daily/week 1, 2x daily/week 2, etc).

Any thoughts are much appreciated

stef is offline Member

Inflammation

There is a lot of really interesting information at this blog - see the keywords in the right-hand column:

http://coolinginflammation.blogspot.com/

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    I was told I had "early stage rosacea" a few years back. Basically a permanent dark-pink-to-red flush on my cheeks and nose. stopped eating grains and now I'm no longer pink. ymmv.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    I've had rosacea for years. I've been on antibiotics, metrogel and been lasered. Giving up grains is what has helped me the most.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    Metrogel did nothing for me, nor the OTC Prosacea. Looking at the product Oracea, one sees it is a small dose of doxycyclin (sp?), an antibiotic. A small immediately available dose and a time release.

I had some doxy from Mexico. Using my Centi-Gram balance, I was able to split the capsule contents into the small doses like Oracea, although not any time release. I took it twice a day and after about three weeks, the rosacea was mostly gone.

It's come back, albeit much milder. Probably didn't do my therapy long enough. Doxycycline/Oracea works. If the Metrogel works for you, great.

Put plenty of sunscreen on the schnozz if you are outside much.