Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trainer Goes from Fab to Flab page

Shop Now

If he did it for his clients, as he claims, he is an idiot that is mocking them. If he did it for PR, genius. People are not heavy because they decide to be, itís an emotional issue and an ignorance toward healthy eating, and to a lesser degree, genetics. Just because he gained a lot of weight, and will lose it (no doubt with a little lipo if need be), doesnít mean everyone is able to do that. He doesnít understand his clients any better. This is akin to me living on the streets for a week and claiming to understand a homeless person. God, this pisses me off.

http://www.fitnessspotlight.com/2009...iner-fab-flab/

Nick Guest

I wouldn't even put it down to emotion or genetics -- we've had those for millennia. Western diet (i.e. ignorance toward healthy eating) can easily take most of the blame.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Mark and the other paleo advocates suggest 80-90% of our weight is determined by our diet, the rest genetics and environment.

I'll buy that.

I was homeless for a summer, 1994. I lived in my van, I called it "Urban Camping." But I had that van, and I had places I could shower, and I had mone for food. Yes, not the true homeless experience, although a glimmer.

grandma is offline Member

great stunt. PJAP, you show a lot of emotion about this. I say what-ever they guy probably wanted to go on a huge bender because he was starving himself to begin with Chances are he will succeed in losing the weight and claim that it was easy anyone can do it. Except that is his job and he focuses all of his energy on it. Whereas most people have other things to worry about.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

I show a great deal of emotion about it, because I have long struggled with disordered eating and although the western diet is to blame for obesity, there are a lot of other things that go into account before hand is brought to mouth. I think it is unforgivable that he gained all this weight just to show others how "easy" it is to lose it, nevermind the fact that this is his job. Others work 9-5 and can't spend 8 hours a day in a gym.

Indiscreet is offline Junior Member

Perhaps it isn't so much that he gained the weight to show them how easy it was to lose it, but more to find out how it felt to be fat. As he said, he acquired a taste for crap foods (and we all know how addictive those nasty refined carbs and grains are) so he can now relate to how difficult it is to kick that habit.

No doubt he will find it a lot easier to get back in shape than the average joe who sits at a desk all day, but at least he will have a little idea of what it's like to be mortal - what it's like to have people look at his body with disgust instead of envy or desire.

I'm just giving him the benefit of the doubt here. I've struggled with eating disorders and self esteem issues too, so I know where you're coming from, PJAP. But as Nick says, a lot of people (mostly men - women tend to be more emotional about food) get fat because they like beer, TV and carbs rather than because they have issues. In a way I think he's quite brave to sacrifice his sixpack and his health to see how the other half lives - though no doubt he'll do a book and a video and make some money out of it. He's not the first to do that - there was a female artist who got fat for art's sake, to see how that felt. You could argue that's even sillier.

Ultimately, there's always two sides to every argument and everyone has their own perspective on things.

GeriMorgan Guest

I think I'll reserve judgment until I can see the final product. This does look like an interesting project, and may end up providing some very useful insight into the fat lifestyle.

Besides, if he does lose the weight fairly easily, it might inspire some others to get off their tushes and do something.

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

Ohh man! All I can say is, what a waste of a sexy stud!

musajen is offline Junior Member

I want to know how long he'll live in his overweight body. I think it's a lot easier to lose weight when you were svelte just a year prior compared to losing weight when you have no reference point for what a healthy svelte body feels like. Someone who has always had food issues and always been overweight (at least in their head) doesn't know what it's like to function in a svelte body and is going to have a harder time getting there.

bonesheal Guest

I don't know how it's going now, but in August he was having trouble losing the weight:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=8...&page=1&page=1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast