Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cold oatmeal substitute for toddler breakfast page

Jenny is offline Senior Member

Cold oatmeal substitute for toddler breakfast

Hi all, I'm trying to work out a cold oatmeal substitute for my toddler. I've been letting her have it thus far since it's gluten-free and it's a good carrier for her various vitamins and fish oil. But, I'd like to make her life a little less grainy!

I'm hoping for something sweetish and cold-prepped -- the sweetness seems to cover the vitamin taste up, and the omega-3 vitamins wouldn't survive heating.

She likes applesauce but straight-up applesauce strikes me as awfully carberrific. I try giving her eggs afterward to try and balance it out, but she doesn't seem to like eggs in the morning.

She also likes commercial fruity yogurt -- I haven't been able to get her onto better Greek-style yogurt yet, but we will eventually.

Ideally this will be something I can mix up with her vitamins the night before (as I do now) and then just hand it over in the morning!

So I'm thinking... I dunno... almond meal mixed with some applesauce and milk? (I'm OK with her having milk at this age, she's not even 1.5 yet) Or mixed with the yogurt she likes just for taste?

I'll experiment of course based on the suggestions I found so far in forum search, but I wanted to ask if you had any more ideas! Thanks.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Try Rivvin's almond meal pudding. I'll dig up the link when I can, but that should work.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Ah, found it over here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...d-Meal-Pudding

We're not supposed to give honey to toddlers -- I may need to sweeten it some other way. Although if I toss in some applesauce after the cooking, that might do the trick. (Hmm, guess I'll post over there too...)

Thanks naiadknight! And Rivvin!
    Last edited by Jenny; 09-22-2010 at 07:59 AM.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    If you need to sweeten it, add cocoa powder, cinnamon, stevia, molasses, applesauce, fruit juice... etc

my son will be 2 in dec and he eats honey! how old is your tot?

Great ideas for sweetening -- though I belatedly realized her oatmeal isn't really sweetened, so no need to sweeten this. I'm trying the approach of adding a scoop of almond meal and gradually increasing the amount till the oatmeal is gone, now.

She'll be 2 in April. I'm probably being paranoid with the honey avoidance before age 2 thing, but hey, seems she doesn't need it anyway.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I've only ever heard 1 year old as the limit for honey. And even then, I've always wondered how much botulism there could really be in commercial bear-shaped honey! Makes sense it might be in the raw stuff, but 99.9999% of the population will be eating the "cooked and processed till it's not really honey" kind.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Oh my goodness! In Googling for the age where honey is OK, I found this remarkable comment: ""i have been givin my son corn syrup since he was a month and a half old. just a little on his soother when he cries."

Wow...I wonder how common this is?
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

OK, my last post on this, I promise:

"According to Health Canada, only 7 cases of infant botulism have been seen in Canada since 1979. In three of the seven cases the child had been given honey."

That's one heck of a rare condition. 4 cases of honey-borne infant botulism in 20 years in Canada.

(It's not that I'm from the honey-marketing board or anything, I was just curious because I remember being told not to give babies honey, but I didn't know how rare the problems are. Babies certainly don't need honey or any other sweetener either. They may be just fine with almond meal pudding with no sweetener at all...it's only when we're older we EXPECT such things to be sweetened.
    Liz.

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    OK, my last post on this, I promise:

"According to Health Canada, only 7 cases of infant botulism have been seen in Canada since 1979. In three of the seven cases the child had been given honey."

That's one heck of a rare condition. 4 cases of honey-borne infant botulism in 20 years in Canada.
    Agreed. However, it's more than often enough for a law suit in this society. That's what has to change. People expect zero risk, and they always want to blame some one for risks that are just inherent in life.

It's why we prescribe drugs on the slimmest of benefit margins. Because we have lost perspective, and reducing our chance of something from 1 in 10,000 to 1 in 8,000 seems like a great deal. And we expect our insurance company to cover it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast