Thread: Old Lady Trying to Learn New Tricks page

AuntPol is offline Senior Member

Old Lady Trying to Learn New Tricks

Primal Fuel
    Hi! I'm an older mom who struggles with weight issues. I can't say I've tried everything. I did well on South Beach when I was in my 30's but it lacks an exercise component. I was skinny when I was in the Marines but to be honest, I never got strong or felt fit. My main weight issues started when two things happened: I got plantar fascitis so stopped going to the gym (I'm convinced the elliptical was the major contributing factor but that is another discussion) and I started homeschooling (which meant I was nibbling away on whatever was convenient while I was planning and grading and teaching all day; more fast food on days I work in my office and taking the kids to all their activities, and it seems every homeschooling event involves food and baked treats!). So bam! 30 pounds have come on in past two years!

I found this site as I was looking into CrossFit. My son is taking BJJ at a Crossfit gym. I have always been intrigued by it and was, in fact, about to start it at my old gym when I got plantar fascitis and stopped going.

Anyway, I stopped drinking diet soda in December. Inititally that great. I was walking too and I lost weight. Then my walking partner couldn't join me anymore and I started drinking sweet tea to bypass my "no soda" rule. Bam -all that weight came back. So in August, I quit the sweet tea and started walking by myself. I lost 6 pounds. This month, I have been eating 4 meals a day (sometimes 3 as I'm not a big breakfast eater) and walking and hiking most days with the kids. We have incorporated environmental studies into homeschool LOL. I am doing the Crossfit warmup 3X a week but substituting pushups for pullups because I don't have a pullup bar yet and can't do pullups anyway. On alternate days, I have been doing the Couch Potato to 5K program for intervals. I had planned to stop it when it gets to straight running or when I join the CF gym. I can't join it until about middle of October because the foundation class interferes with my current schedule. Anyway, I have also joined the rest of my family in a once a week sword fighting class, and I've been helping the kids work on sports related Scout badges a few times a week (tennis, ice skating, etc). Oh yeah, so far this month I have lost 4.5 pounds.

I'm not primal in my eating. I've been doing the plate format so I usually only have 1 sometimes 2 starchy type foods plus milk and coffee. Yesterday, I cleaned out the pantry and have a bag to take to our church donation bin tonight. I had some that I can't donate as it either just expired or is about to expire. I have made dinner menus for next two weeks to use it up so will have 1 non-paleo item per day.
    I have 3 more weeks in my produce co-op so I will probably have to use some food there too. I hate to quit my produce co-op but the shoppers want to get corn, potatoes, and iceberg lettuce every week plus usually something that nobody in my family will eat. I now need to look for one that has more like-minded people. I also can't go organic yet. We are saving for a freezer so we can go in on a cow with some of our homeschool friends.

I don't have much family support. My husband wants to be in shape but doesn't want to do anything about it. He is straddling the fence on joining the gym. He wants to do the BJJ class there but not real interested in the CF part. He has torticollis so he's scared of hurting his neck plus he doesn't want to look bad in front of all the others. I personally have no issue with being a buttercup lol. He also told me that he may join the gym but he is not going to give up bread, milk, sweets, etc because what was the point in living if you don't enjoy it? I don't see a lot of joy there but to each his own. My daughter doesn't eat meat. She's not a vegetarian, she is a pastafarian who supplements with fruit, yogurt and peanut butter. She also hates to exercise unless she is getting a badge for it or it's a social event. She is naturally athletic -at my son's Bjj tournament, the kids crossfit teacher let her try to climb the rope and she did it on her first try. My 10 yo son is the most supportive. He runs with me, has me do forza, fencing, and kickboxing with him, likes researching healthy eating, loves meat, vegetables, eggs, and nuts. He will eat some but not a lot of fruit, is not big into sweets, bread (except pretzels), etc. He's a natural primal eater. However, he's very skinny and needs to bulk up. Anyway, since dinner is only meal we all eat together, I'm hoping the gradual ease will go unnoticed and then when I run out of the yucky stuff, I can just make some adjustments

SO that's me in a nutshell. Probably more than you want to know LOL.

ericfoster3 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome AuntPol!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome. You have quite a challenge. Read up on primal. You don't have to suffer on it. The exercise part is easy. You have to give up some things on primal eating, but you get to eat plenty of luxurious things to, like butter. Good luck!

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Hi AuntPol...Welcome!!!

How old IS an older mom? (No need to actually answer that!) At 46, I'm probably in that category, but wow, those words made me FEEL old! I have a feeling that once you're eating primal and you've dropped those 30 pounds, you won't identify yourself as an older mom

I have pastafarian kids too (great word!) Here's the "bad mom" thing I do. I make a regular meal...I eat the meat and veg, my husband eats the meat, veg, and starch, and the kids eat mostly the starches. I've noticed they are beginning to try a few of the oddities I'm bringing to the table these days, so I'm hoping that effect grows! Maybe that won't work for everyone--the pasta sitting there will be tempting--but I've found it surprisingly easy to focus on the tasty, rich meat dish in front of me instead of what's not in front of me. After 9 weeks of primal, I had a taste of pasta the other day (to see if it was cooked) and bleh....how bland!

Anyway, interested to hear how you incorporate primal into the reality of family life!
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Thanks! I have been reading about primal and paleo for several days. I was all set to to do the zone and even joined formulazone but was turned off by low carb bread products (rather do without than eat that -no taste) and fructose (where would I buy that?) and weird amounts like eat 2.25 of a frozen dinner. I knew from experience that my willingness to measure will only go a few weeks.

Yessterday I only had three non-primal foods (yogurt as a snack and some oven fried red potatoes and a ww twice fiber pita bun at dinner); That is a major reduction in non-primal as I usually have twice the yogurt, a couple glasses of milk, at least one more serving of bread, and lots more cheese, and peanut butter. Today I am feeling like I got hit by a mack truck. I don't know if I have over-exercised and need to take today off, or if I am just going through withdrawals from reducing my carb intake or if I am just getting sick or I just didn't sleep well last night or maybe a bit dehydrated. I just can't seem to function today -even with my beloved cup of coffee! I don't know whether I should just give my kids some independent study work and take a nap or just go out and do some walking or take the kids to practice tennis skills or just do the Crossfit warmup as scheduled.

Hi Liz! You posted at same time I did so I just now saw your post. I'm 42. I don't feel too old. I did rob the cradle but everyone thinks he's the older one lol. However, hitting 40 did a number on my metabolism!!!! Ouch!