Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whip Cream? page

amandatea is offline Member

Whip Cream?

Primal Fuel
    I know that CW whip cream has a ton of sugar usually - and even before i started this lifestyle, I tried to usually get the "natural" kind. I'm just wondering if anyone has any more Primal - qualifying recipes or ideas about how to make whip cream. I really like having it on berries once in a while. Maybe i'll just have to get used to having the non-sugary flavour of it. Although, maybe that wouldn't be such a bad thing.

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    to make whipped cream, you simply buy heavy or light whipping cream, then beat it with either a hand whisk or an electric one. traditionally you'd put in in sugar, primally you don't.

you'll get used to the non-sugary flavor eventually. The way I got there was to slowly cut back the amount of sweetener I used (I like real maple syrup, if you like stevia that could work too) until there isn't any.
    Last edited by moonablaze; 09-21-2010 at 10:40 PM.

Oh, yeah. Definitely. I don't even need about the 10th of the sweetness i used to. Veggies even taste sweet to me now. But i really miss whipped cream. Maybe if i tried it again, i wouldn't like it.

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    just edited my reply to better answer your question.

mizski is offline Senior Member
    I used to make whipped cream using whipping cream and a little Truvia and vanilla extract. I gave it up in favor of full-fat FAGE Total Greek yogurt with my berries or fruit. My palate changed and I figured the FAGE was a much better deal nutritionally.

I noticed that locally grown fruit and berries were naturally much sweeter than the stuff I got from the grocery store. I think that also helped a lot with not needing heavily sweetened toppings.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Dunno. I don't think I've ever had sugar in whipped cream. Everyone I know just beats up double cream till it thickens and uses that. A lot of people I know sprinkle sugar on their fruit before adding cream, but they don't put it in the cream. I've even come across comments in slightly older cookery books that modern cream is too bland and sweet - probably on account of the pasteurization.

One book I've got - from the 1950s - has the fruit in the cream (and a dusting of sugar).

Take a deep bowl half full of cream (an old punch-bowl is excellent for this purpose). Whip the cream slightly, but do not make it too stiff. Then drop in as many strawberries as it will hold, the smaller ones being put in whole, the larger cut up. Stir as you go, mashing slightly, and when the cream really won't cover another strawberry, leave it to stand for an hour. It will then be a cold level pale-pink cream. Crust it over with dredged white sugar.
    I don't suppose a little sugar on rare occasions would be a problem for anyone, but I think tastes can shift and you tend to get to like whatever you're used to. I remember as a kid I found the taste of beer hard to take - as most of us did - and our local beer is traditionally made and particularly flavourful and bitter. I persevered with it - of course - and now I'm used to it I like the taste. I avoid beer now, because I don't seem good on even a small amount, but I like the taste. I think it just goes like that: a taste for unsweetened cream would probably be easy to acquire.

Okay. Thanks I guess the fruit itself would sweeten the cream too.

Eatmydust is offline Senior Member
    I make it in the blender, heavy whipping cream and a few drops of (sweet leaf brand)stevia (vanillacream flavored drops)
    it comes in other flavors too. * HINT* if you get to much stevia it will be bitter so taste as you go

usually about 3-5 drops for about a cup of cream
    dump it all in blender on high, motor speed will bog when to thick...

also if you have a costco-sometimes you can buy 3 cans heavy whip cream 0 sugar 0 carbs
    Last edited by Eatmydust; 09-22-2010 at 01:42 AM.

Russ is offline Senior Member
    Like they said, just but organic heavy whipping cream and . . whip it!

Last night we had primal waffles (almond / coconut meal) with whip cream and a puree of blueberries & strawberries on topp!
    Starting Weight : 338lbs 6/11/2010
    Current Weight: 266lbs
    High-school Weight: 235lbs
    Goal: ????

Sassy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Like they said, just but organic heavy whipping cream and . . whip it!
    Whip it good.
    Sassy: Revised - my primal log

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast