Thread: Heading to your dinner tables... The GM salmon page

shemdogg is offline Senior Member

LemonFreshScent is offline Senior Member
    I won't eat it, purchase it, and I'll have to ask if i order it. Not cool. BOO!

Kev
    Kev is offline Senior Member
    I heard on the radio earlier there will be no required disclosure indicating it is genetically modified, best to avoid farmed fish anyway.
    Strive for healthy today.

Satisfaction is the death of desire.

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Neither strategy will help in the end. It will spread into the wild pretty easily I would think. Then they'll find out how such altered growth rates affect the rest of the ecosystem. Plus, I'm sure any effects on humans will be after-market discoveries - I shouldn't be surprised by the misshapen heads that get mentioned and thereafter ignored.
    Last edited by avocado; 09-21-2010 at 06:36 PM.

FLKirkland is offline Member
    God help us. The FDA is embarrassingly ignorant and it angers me that they would play with our lives and health like that. Who wants to eat "man-made" fish?
    yep!

Starting Weight (July 2010) - 235
    Goal Weight - 200
    Current Weight - 216.8

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Whee, a million threads on this -- yeah, like avocado says, it'll surely spread into the wild despite all the reassurances. That's the bit that worries me really.

As for eating "man-made" fish, I find myself less worried for some reason. We (humans) have already eaten the proteins these genes create in other species of salmon. And we already eat a lot of foods that have been finetuned by mankind using all sorts of unnatural techniques (grafting, hybridization, and of course extensive selective breeding which has led to all kinds of weird monocultures. Although to be fair, most of that has been in neolithic agriculture. But that does include fruit and veggies.)

Of course if somebody could point to an independent body of research singing a different tune, I'd be singing a different tune...

samjohn is offline Junior Member
    I have zero problem with genetically modified salmon. If it makes salmon cheaper I am all for it.

StillWild is offline Member
    I read somewhere it produces its growth hormones non-stop. Not sure if that's true, and I'm certainly no expert on growth hormones, but I think I'll pass just in case...if I grew three heads it might be disastrous, I argue with myself enough as it is. :P

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by StillWild View Post
    I read somewhere it produces its growth hormones non-stop. Not sure if that's true, and I'm certainly no expert on growth hormones, but I think I'll pass just in case...if I grew three heads it might be disastrous, I argue with myself enough as it is. :P
    Slightly OT (okay, very OT), but that reminds me of my favourite book when I was a kid it was called, oddly enough, The One And Only Two Heads. It was the last present my great-grandpa bought me before he died, which is why I've always kept it.

But Samjohn, all I can say is more fool you! I was chatting to the driver who delivered my groceries this afternoon, about this very topic more or less (he fishes marlin and bluefin, but only for sport because they're overfished (though not CITES protected and they damned well should be!) and we'd both rather pay slightly more for sustainably caught fish than 'frankenfish'. I refuse to eat anything which has been buggered about with (even though that means my grocery bill is about 25% higher than it would be otherwise). Slightly different tack, but the same in a way, the local supermarket has Jazz apples from Kiwiland for 8 for 4 (well it is M&S!) or 4 funnily named apples from Suffolk for 2.99. Guess which I always buy...?
    La tristesse durera toujours...