Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: True or False page

Rachellynne Guest

True or False

This article is from WebMD and I'd like your thoughts on it..

What Are the Risks Linked to High Protein, Low-Carb Diets?
    High protein, low-carb diets can cause a number of health problems, including:

Kidney failure. Consuming too much protein puts a strain on the kidneys, which can make a person susceptible to kidney disease.

High cholesterol . It is well known that high protein diets (consisting of red meat, whole dairy products, and other high fat foods) are linked to high cholesterol. Studies have linked high cholesterol levels to an increased risk of developing heart disease, stroke, and cancer.

Osteoporosis and kidney stones. High protein diets have also been shown to cause people to excrete more calcium than normal through their urine. Over a prolonged period of time, this can increase a person's risk of osteoporosis and kidney stones.

Cancer. One of the reasons high protein diets increase the risks of certain health problems is because of the avoidance of carbohydrate-containing foods and the vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants they contain. It is therefore important to obtain your protein from a diet rich in whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. Not only are your needs for protein being met, but you are also helping to reduce your risk of developing cancer.

Unhealthy metabolic state (ketosis). Low-carb diets can cause your body to go into a dangerous metabolic state called ketosis since your body burns fat instead of glucose for energy. During ketosis, the body forms substances known as ketones, which can cause organs to fail and result in gout, kidney stones, or kidney failure. Ketones can also dull a person's appetite, cause nausea and bad breath. Ketosis can be prevented by eating at least 100 grams of carbohydrates a day.

chima_p is offline Senior Member

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Regarding various comments on high-protein diets -- these seem to assume we're staying in hyper-lowcarb ketosis forever, but standard-issue primal diet is not really low-carb in the Atkins Induction sense.

Same for the "cancer" bullet -- this all presupposes that we're avoiding fruit and vegetables. A standard primal diet doesn't -- quite the opposite really, we end up eating more veggies than the average person who's chowing down on pasta and bread.

So I'd sum up by saying "possibly true, but not actually relevant to primal"

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Read Dr. Eades' book "Protein Power." He puts the scientific lie to every one of those claims.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

doghead is offline Senior Member
    Big thing to remember -this is not a high protein diet, it is a high FAT diet.

Without a good amount of fat, it doesn't work. I personally believe that proper fat content is a lot more important than veggies/fruits. You see it on the forum all the time, people are 1 week or 3 months primal, and they complain about it not working, not loosing fat, feeling ill. As soon as they post up their diet, more often than not it is pointed out that their fat intake is too low.
    - If it was cute and cuddly at some point, eat it. Ignore everything else. -

- Food is first, and foremost, nothing more than fuel. -

- The body is animal. The mind, however, is not. -

MikkiB is offline Senior Member
    The article is talking about a high-protein diet, which Primal is NOT. This is an adequate-protein diet

Cholesterol values have not been shown to be linked to disease in the absence of a carb-based diet .

Also, ketosis is not dangerous in the least. It is here, as in many other places, confused with keto-acidosis, which is exactly the same as confusing "adequate glucose levels" with "hyperglycemia". And it's just plain hilarious that they think that the 'appetite blunting' effect of ketones are a BAD thing

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I am a on the high protein low carb (mostly) version of the primal diet and I would say that pretty much all of the is false.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I would stipulate that one can vary the amount of fat vs protein on the primal diet to myself and other lifters around here. While I do not shun fat protein is where my dietary focus lies.
    Last edited by Daemonized; 09-21-2010 at 10:10 AM.

mayness is offline Senior Member
    The last point was either written by someone ignorant enough that they don't know the difference between ketosis and ketoacidosis, or manipulative enough to purposely mix them up to scare people away from low carb diets (I bet it's the latter).

Ketoacidosis is dangerous and can lead to organ failure, but also generally only happens in type 1 diabetics (diabetic ketoacidosis) or people who consume a lot of alcohol for a prolonged period of time (alcoholic ketoacidosis). Ketosis can cause bad breath or smelly urine, and some people just don't feel so great when they're in ketosis, but there is nothing at all dangerous about it.
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

jturk is offline Senior Member

Smile

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachellynne View Post
    This article is from WebMD and I'd like your thoughts on it..

What Are the Risks Linked to High Protein, Low-Carb Diets?
    High protein, low-carb diets can cause a number of health problems, including:

Kidney failure. Consuming too much protein puts a strain on the kidneys, which can make a person susceptible to kidney disease.
    False. One of many unsubstantiated scare tactics. http://www.jissn.com/content/1/1/45

High cholesterol . It is well known that high protein diets (consisting of red meat, whole dairy products, and other high fat foods) are linked to high cholesterol. Studies have linked high cholesterol levels to an increased risk of developing heart disease, stroke, and cancer.
    Actually, dietary cholesterol intake has hardly any impact on blood cholesterol. This is old news. And saying high cholesterol causes an increased risk of heart disease is so oversimplified it is meaningless. There are multiple forms of cholesterol, each serving different functions. The truth is triglyceride levels correlate far better with the risk of vascular disease, and triglycerides levels ARE clearly linked to dietary carbohydrate intake.

For more on the real story behind cholesterol, check out Dr. Kurt Harris's most recent blog post
    http://paleonu.com/

Cancer. One of the reasons high protein diets increase the risks of certain health problems is because of the avoidance of carbohydrate-containing foods and the vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants they contain. It is therefore important to obtain your protein from a diet rich in whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. Not only are your needs for protein being met, but you are also helping to reduce your risk of developing cancer.
    One of the fundamental reasons for eating paleo/primal/caveman is to reduce cancer risk. The anthropological record is filled with reports of primitive hunter gatherer societies who eat only plants and animals and have negligible rates of cancer. It is only when they are assimilated into the broader society and start eating a conventional diet with the attendant increase in grain/carb consumption that the various forms of cancer emerge. Along with the other well documented "diseases of civilization" (heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, hypertension, autoimmune illness, and likely many more).

The best source of all those vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants are plants and animals. Breads, pastas, potatoes, rice are nutritionally poor.

Unhealthy metabolic state (ketosis). Low-carb diets can cause your body to go into a dangerous metabolic state called ketosis since your body burns fat instead of glucose for energy. During ketosis, the body forms substances known as ketones, which can cause organs to fail and result in gout, kidney stones, or kidney failure. Ketones can also dull a person's appetite, cause nausea and bad breath. Ketosis can be prevented by eating at least 100 grams of carbohydrates a day.
    The Inuit, Masai, and many other primitive societies eat a diet almost exclusively of meat, and spend virtually their entire life in ketosis. The enjoy tremendous health, don't become decrepit as they age, and could break us in two with their eyelashes. Prolonged ketosis was studied under controlled conditions in the 1930s (achieved by the subjects eating a diet of meat alone) with no adverse health consequences (on the contrary, several health benefits were seen). So it is absurd that 80 years later people are still being scared away from it.

While webMD is a good source for a lot of medical information, it is a terrible place for nutritional advice. Their advice above, if followed, will lead to progressive sickliness and untimely death.

To better understand why, read Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes. Then go read the Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast