Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh dear...*shakes head at Jamie Oliver* page

queen_sheba is offline Senior Member

Oh dear...*shakes head at Jamie Oliver*

Primal Fuel
    Just seen him go to a school in West Virginia to get them off processed stuff in the schools (pizza for breakfast, that kind o crap)....I thought he was doing REALLY well

UNTIL

he subsituted the processed crap for slightly healthier processed food - pasta and foccacia bread!

HE then dumped about 1000 chickens into a dump truck and jumped around all over them - shouting about how bad saturated fat was, in front of the parents!

*eyeroll*
    Scottish Sarah

Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

Give me a poke on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pistepals
    **Remember to tell me your forum name so I know who you are!**

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    What line was that on - C4? Glad I missed it. I wouldn't take any dietary advice from a man who's just named his first born son Buddy Bear! I mean Daisy and Poppy aren't bad at all (if you gloss over the Honey and Boo) thought Petal Blossom was a bit Paula Yates (I mean 'petal's' not a name, it's something my nan used to say to me if I was looking a bit upset) but he's entered the stratosphere of silliness with this one!

His mate Jimmy wouldn't have done anything so stupid (with the chickens I mean).
    La tristesse durera toujours...

leonardotmnt is offline Senior Member
    To be fair it's required by law that they provide those things the government deems healthy ie: grains. He did make some improvements over the previous choices for sure. The sat fat thing is tough though.

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    I usually love Jaimie. Too bad.

mizski is offline Senior Member
    That show ran earlier this year. Keep in mind that by law (???) the schools have to serve two starches and he has to meet very strict constraints with his meals in order for the schools to receive funding for the food/meals. Whole wheat pasta and homemade foccacia bread are improvements over white bread hamburger buns. It is a very frustrating system to be sure where french fries (chips) are considered a veggie. Remember he has to go by USDA rules for nutrition where saturated fat is a sin.

The most heartbreaking (to me) scene in that series was when the children did not know simple veggies like a tomato. Ketchup is considered a veg by the government yet they don't know that it's made from tomatoes.

I thought it was a very good series and attempt at overhauling school junk food. I think it's a lost cause though as the Big Food companies make it close to impossible for the schools to buy real, healthy ingredients/foods.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    For fuck's sake.

I saw a book called The Brown Fat Revolution or something, which talked about how fat is essential, but even the doctor that wrote it prescribes 6 small meals a day, and that the meat should be lean, and all dairy options are low-fat. What the Christ. Are they concerned about a drop in sales by promoting a high-fat diet, or are all these people actually retarded? And this Jamie Oliver sure is fond of dumping food everywhere.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    My mom buys food for her district as part of her job, and organizes school menus for the four public schools in town. Potatoes are a veg, pizza is absolutely considered 'read food' if it's made with whole wheat, on and on. Put some broccoli on a pizza and serve it with fries and you've got the whole food pyramid right there according to all the rules she's made to follow.

She's gone primal and is retiring soon btw.

Eklecktika is offline Senior Member
    I'm with Grumpy.

Good Lord. Reason number 459,159,875 to homeschool.

And that's not even counting the vaccine issues.
    Chief cook & bottle washer for one kid, a dog, 6 hens, 2 surprise! roosters, two horses, and a random 'herd' of quail.

~The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something one knows nothing about and refuses to investigate~

Mog
    Mog is offline Senior Member
    I agree the problem is the food pyramid which dictates what the government decides should dictate what the school must serve.

He does push fresh foods, its a pity he belives CW re grains and sat fat, but he's in the majority there.

I wish someone could get Jamie to read Good Calories, Bad Calories and sit down and have a chat with Mark. He does reach a lot of people and his heart is surely in the right place - if he got on board the Primal way of life, he would be an outstanding advocate.

PS - celebrities and kid's names. do they think these kids are Peter Pan and will never grow up and have to deal with the repecussions of these 'cute' names? Look at Bear Gyrllis' kids names. seriously.

queen_sheba is offline Senior Member
    totally mog. If I ever get the chance to interview him I will sure mention it!

does anyone's kids go to a school like that where the kids are forced to eat certain things? What do primal families do about it? packed lunch?
    Scottish Sarah

Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

Give me a poke on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pistepals
    **Remember to tell me your forum name so I know who you are!**

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast