Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cortisol Problem? page

cjbigcog is offline Member

Cortisol Problem?

Shop Now
    Following a hard bike ride...something that's outside my comfort level, I usually have a hard time getting a good night's sleep. I suspect elevated cortisol levels are the cause. Does this sound correct? If so, what can I do to remedy this problem?

This is semi-related, but I think I have a hard time going to sleep after a hard workout because of the subtle muscle pain. It's not strong enough for me to think "Oh, I'm in pain", but it keeps me from falling asleep. Taking ibuprofen before bed helps, although it's a pretty un-primal solution and I'm hoping that primal eating will reduce the general level of inflammation in my body enough that I can kick the ibuprofen habit or at least only use it on rare occasions. However, after five weeks, I don't feel a whole lot of change that would indicate reduced inflammation. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will kick in eventually and I may try cutting out dairy if it still isn't any better in a month or two. I only eat cream and butter, but maybe they're still contributing to the inflammation somehow.

adamsaysyo is offline Member
    Another user suggested possible raised cortisol levels as why i am not responding (after many months) to the PB plan. Other than that OTC med to bock cortisol production (CortiSlim or something like that), anyone else have any Primal methods to combat it?

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    My advice would be to make sure you take eough fish oil to give you a good o3/o6 balance, and also make sure you're vit D3 replete (this might take a LOT at first; check out Cillakat's excellent sig document). This has been HUGE in my life, I ended up giving the last of my Ibu to a friend with a hangover several months ago, and have never felt the need to buy more.

manofsteel is offline Junior Member
    Citrus fruit are good to decrease cortisol, by the way it increases testosterone. Grapefruit are one of the best. I take half of one right after my workout. A half fruit because it contains 25 gr of carbs. Just write citrus and cortisol and you will have a lot of good article on the subject. Vit c fruit are good option to decrease cortisole, but studies show that grapefruit help to decrease bodyfat, appetite and cortisol. Don't just drink it, you need to eat the white part too, to have all the benefit.

Hope it with help you
    Eat a mammoth for breakfast, eat a sabre tooth tiger for dinner and eat a squirrel for supper !

Thanks for the suggestions...I'll give them a try.

Rip City is offline Senior Member
    Two glasses of wine...sleep just fine

Even better!

Barb is offline Senior Member
    Meditation can help lower all the stress hormones.

Quote Originally Posted by adamsaysyo View Post
    Another user suggested possible raised cortisol levels as why i am not responding (after many months) to the PB plan. Other than that OTC med to bock cortisol production (CortiSlim or something like that), anyone else have any Primal methods to combat it?
    I hadn't really thought of it before now, but a rhodiola based supplement might help. Mark has a rhodiala based "stress" supplement on his site, or you can just buy plain rhodiola at a health food store. I've tried taking just the plain kind for depression in the past and couldn't tell that it did much, but it might help just with elevated cortisol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast