Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fasting page

Ecala is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

Hey,

I was able to do two 24-hour fasts this week! It was a lot easier than I thought it would be, but I do have a couple of observations-- I'd be curious to hear thoughts from those of you who IF.

Do you get hungry? haha.. I know that's an odd question, but I found that for the most part, I wasn't getting hungry.

First, this is how I did my fast-

I ate dinner around 6 on the first fast, then didn't eat again til the next day, same time.

(when I'm not fasting) I'm making sure that I'm eating lots of fat -and I really don't eat a lot of carbs, other than those found in vegetables. Oh, and I guess the carbs found in nuts?

So, anyway- I was a little hungry but not as hungry as I thought I'd be.

Is it normal to feel a bit of hunger? Or is it more psychological hunger?

What are your observations during a fast?

Diana Renata is online now Senior Member

I was surprised to notice that when I first started fasting too. There's the initial hunger pangs, then they go away and there's really no hunger. Occasionally I'll get a little grumble now and then, but it doesn't last more than a moment. I usually drink water when that happens.

BigBeck89 Guest

agreed. after a while you feel no hunger, which I guess is sort of dangerous because you can be tempted to fast longer than is healthy.

Ecala is offline Junior Member

Ok, that was what I was getting at.

I too feel those hunger pangs you mention Diana. I'm wondering if the more often I fast, if they go away.

BigBeck- do you mean that the hunger goes away with each hour the fast continues, or in general-- using the fasting protocol, it eventually goes away all together. If that made any sense.

Although, I have to admit, I kinda dig the hunger feeling. Just a little.

Yea, I know-- weirdo. haha.

madMUHHH Guest

I think how hungry you feel during a fast relates pretty much to how much of a fat burner you are. If you make your last meal before the fast high in fat and also do your fasts more often you'll get more and more efficient at fat burning an the hunger will get less and less.

That's at least my explanation, I can't back it up with facts or something, it's just what I think is true.

Jewelz Guest

So do any of you continue working out while fasting? I did the Master Cleanse for 22 days a few months ago, and for the most part continued working out. I wasn't able to do heavy lifting, but my endurance was still very on point. I actually enjoyed how i felt doing that fast on most days. Do you think this would be the same? Ecala, i believe i saw you post that you only have a few stubborn lbs left to get to your goal. I'm in the same spot, and would love to hear if these fasts help you get there!!

62shelby Guest

I did a month of fasting two times per week. I ate breakfast and then fasted till the next morning. It just works better for me that way. I liked it, and was surprised that I wasn't overly hungry, and in fact when I would wake the next morning, didnt have any particular need to eat straight away. But I wonder if that is more about blood sugar levels than anything else. It did nothing to my body comp or my weight, and after doing it 8 times I decided to have a break from it, and perhaps do it only when I have had a big meal from a special occasion.

At first I was reluctant to do any training during fasting but eventually I did, bike, but mostly ashtanga which felt great with a truly empty belly. I noticed I went to the bathroom a lot more than I do normally. I think it gets easier mentally for sure which is a huge help, but Brad Pilon has mentioned that some fasts are harder than others and perhaps that has to do with the nutritional content of the last meal.

Diana Renata is online now Senior Member

BigBeck, that's true. When I first started fasting I almost didn't want to come off it. Even now I actually have to force myself to break the fast and make myself eat. There's just no hunger.

ahhgrr is offline Junior Member

I've been doing IF for 7 months now, in various combinations, and I love it.

I tend to get a psychological hunger about an hour after waking up, while my son eats his breakfast, but that's mostly ignorable. They hit again around 11AM or so, but I go to the gym at 11:30 usually, and that kills off that pang pretty well.

I've been working out fasted pretty much the whole time I've been on IF (minus the first two weeks of gradual lengthening of the fast), with no noticeable effect. In that time, I've followed the Crossfit mainpage, gone on a heavy hybrid routine (heavy lifting, short metcons and gymnastics work), and now following a local CF affiliate's workouts (biased towards strength, too). The workouts are tough, yes, but they'd be tough even if I'd eaten.

Lately, I've switched from a regular 16-17-hour fast during the workweek with normal eating on the weekends, to a pretty random fast schedule: 2-3 days like before, a day with breakfast, a day with a longer (20+ hours) fast, 2-3 days with no fasting at all, etc. It's too early to tell what the effects of this will be (I'm in week 2), but it will be interesting to note.

BTW, if anyone hasn't read Scott Kustes' series on what goes on in your body when you fast, here's the link to Part 1: http://lifespotlight.com/health/2008/08/11/part-1-what-happens-to-your-body-when-you-fast-energy-production/

It's a fantastic set of articles.

Daughter of Grok Guest

PrimalCon New York

Ecala-Congrats on the two 24 hr fasts!

I have experienced the same thing as the rest of you, it's almost hard to break the fast. It's like once you really get into fat burning mode, it feels so good you don't want to stop. I would also get an occasion hunger pang (which felt good to me too, your not weird Ecala) but I tend to only get those in the middle of a fast, when it is much longer than I'd normally go between meals, but then it goes away at the end, making it even harder to stop.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast