Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fasting page 2

jpippenger Guest

Primal Fuel

I started IFing for the last week, by skipping lunch. I've went from feeling awesome to feeling like crap. These past two days,I have had zero energy. Which is really tough having gone from feeling so great before that. I think I'm done IFing at least for a while.

The week has been a disaster. I wrote about it at length today. Here:

http://johnnygotbetter.com/

Ecala is offline Junior Member

Interesting MadMUHHH. Makes sense. I guess hunger is your body's way of indicating it's burning fat.

Jewelz-- the morning of my fast, I did some sprints. Surprisingly, I had a lot of energy. I actually have really good energy while I'm fasting. Food (or maybe the process of digestion) is very tiring.

thanks DofG!

I'll keep y'all posted on my progress. I plan to do these fasts on Tuesdays and Thursday every week.

Another bonus-

I love not having to deal with the process of making breakfast, packing lunch, chopping vegetables, slicing meat and general food prep. Not eating just streamlines the day, doesn't it? Except for when I'm thinking about food

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

I, too, have more than enough energy while I'm fasting. Last weekend, some friends and I went hiking in the Rockies near Canmore. When we started, I hadn't eaten in 18 hours. It took 4 and a half hours to get up and down the mountain, due to my friends needing to stop and rest every couple hundred meters. I could have kept going on and on, and didn't even sit down during a number of their stops. I even had more than enough energy to make a mad scramble to the peak.

When we got down off the mountain, I was hungry, but it wasn't uncomfortable. I just knew "it's time to eat." That's how it is all the time. I break the fast from the urge to eat, rather than the pang to eat.

But it helps tremendously to be active. Anything to keep your mind off of food.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

annadragon is offline Junior Member

I do IF often, most of the week as a matter of fact. I tend to graze and eat ad lib on the weekends. Simply for the reasons you pointed out Ecala.

My biggest challenge can be when other people in the office heat up aromatic, yummy foods.

Since I don't have ready access to foods at work, I find that once everyone is done with their meals my thoughts about food fade.

I might toss a couple nuts in my mouth when I get home or a small hunk of cheese and then we head to the park for our workout. Working out fasted has never been an issue for me. With the impending heat of summer though I find I need to stay on top of my hydration better.

tooperky Guest

I've been starting with shorter fasts and increasing each time. I was sooo used to eating every 3 hours on the dot that I think most of the hunger is just habit, not actual hunger.

Getting easier though, it's nice not to be a slave to the tupperware anymore!!

RogerDeRok is offline Member

Longest I've gone is 48 hours and it was a lot easier than I thought. I had't eaten in a day and after work it was dinner time and I realized I really wasn't hungry, so I just didn't eat that day, then the next day I went to work and didn't eat til that night.

I usually go about 20 hours between meals anyway, except on the weekend I usually have 2 meals when I'm not working plus, whatever snacks happen.

natalienw Guest

What do you do when after only 3 hours your blood sugar plummets and you get really dizzy and weak? This is what happens to me if I don't eat every 3-4 hours, even if I have a large protein/fat meal prior. And if I don't eat within an hour of waking I get really shaky and confused/foggy thinking. Do I just need to start with short fasting and ease into it? Can any body adapt to fasting?

madMUHHH Guest

Yes, you really just should start out small, gradually increase the length and based on what you wrote you're probably still getting too much carbs/too few fat or your body just needs some more time to adapt to the food you eat. Give it some time and it will work.

I agree w/ madMUHHH, you probably need more fat and less carbs. Carbs make you vulnerable I think.

I used to be like that- if I didn't eat "on schedule" I'd get shaky and irritable. But since I've cut out the carbs and am getting a lot of healthy fats, I don't flake out if I don't eat every couple hours.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast