barryman9000 is offline Senior Member

Relax - obesity is caused by the common cold

Primal Fuel

Tara is offline Senior Member
    Oh my. What next?

Joe
    Joe is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the link.

Would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic. Media apologists for the Standard American Diet.

Gee - Is it perhaps possible that they have ignored one or two other confounding variables here ? (By the way, one study of a few dozen children is not exactly my idea of statistically significant.)
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Hmm, actually they do explain why they think it might be the virus as opposed to overweight people just being more vulnerable to the virus:
    "research with cells in petri dishes suggests that the virus may cause changes in the body that lead to weight gain. Some studies have shown that the virus can enter fat cell precursors, rewiring them to spew out more fat cells, while others have shown that the virus can modify fat cells themselves so that they store more fat."

But they're still only talking about 20% of obese kids. And surely this effect from the virus doesn't go on forever...?

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    This made me smile - America's most obese state? Kentucky! Good ol' Col. Sanders!
    La tristesse durera toujours...

StillWild is offline Member
    *drums fingers on desk* ...waiting for natural selection to kick in...anytime now...

Seriously, can a virus just go on and evolve to target stupidity? People will do anything to not take accountability for their own actions.

liss is offline Senior Member
    the dry wheat-infested side of washington state
    It may seem outlandish at first, but I'm not inclined to dismiss this virus entirely as a potential problem. The cause, imho, of the increasing numbers of obese people in the US (and abroad) is multi-factorial. Jenny of DiabetesUpdate/Blood Sugar 101 is a fairly strict I-go-by-the-science lady and she has pointed the finger at a few guilty parties (outside of food) that I never would have connected to the obesity problem: hormone disruptors like phthalates and BPA as well as SSRI's taken as medication *and* unintentionally taken in because they are increasingly present in low levels in our water supply.

High levels of stress, inadequate vitamin D, too little exposure to sunshine, too little sleep, the type and quantity of gut flora--all these can influence body composition. Fluoridation of many water systems can affect thryoid function. Most importantly in my estimation, the poor diet of a mother--and even a grandmother!--can negatively pattern a fetus's endocrine system and predispose that individual to diabetes, metabolic syndrome and obesity.

Obesity is not a simple mathematical result of the foods individuals choose to put in their mouths--even when those foods are healthful primal-friendly options. I do believe that food choice (and quantity) makes a huge difference, but let us not dismiss possible contributors without investigation. I think the article makes a good case for at least exploring this virus.

I'm not saying I'm convinced the virus *is* a factor, merely this: I am curious. Let us have a better look.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by StillWild View Post
    *drums fingers on desk* ...waiting for natural selection to kick in...anytime now...

Seriously, can a virus just go on and evolve to target stupidity? People will do anything to not take accountability for their own actions.
    We've seen time and again that this isn't how it works, because smart people realize that breeding is a liability.

...now, if smart people get fed up enough with all of us jelly heads on the other hand... well, they're smart, they can come up with a solution...

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by liss View Post
    It as well as SSRI's taken as medication *and* unintentionally taken in because they are increasingly present in low levels in our water supply.

k.
    okay, THAT actually scares me.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Darth- don't forget the birth control pills, antibiotics, and all the other scary crap that I refuse to put in my body, but is in my water supply anyway! I agree with liss, this is bigger than just diet/lifestyle. Now that doesn't excuse personal responsibility.