Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: neolithic food list page

shannon is offline Senior Member

neolithic food list

Shop Now
    i know nightshades are on this list but what other foods apply? more of a strict paleo question but i'm curious
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Polished stone axes. Those are typically typically Neolithic. I wouldn't try eating one, though.

mayness is offline Senior Member
    Grains, dairy, supplements...

...arguably: any domesticated/farmed animals, farmed plants, non-seasonal foods...

...and of course anything you store in pottery, or eat while in a permanent house, or harvest with a sickle. (Thanks Wikipedia)
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

what about squash???
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

melodious is offline Senior Member
    Most of our plants these days are no longer like their truly paleolithic progenitors. Ever seen wild strawberries? They're tiny.
    Who would recognize corn as having descended from teosinte, after all?
    Squashes are paleolithic, as far as I undestand, but were domesticated, like other fruits and veggies, and are now much bigger than they used to be. I'm reasonably sure about that.

i'm just starting to notice a pattern in what i eat/ate. grains, nightshades, beans, and dairy upset my balance and they're all 'new world foods' so i'm just doing a little experiment to see what makes me feel my best. when i started the pb i was avoiding nightshades (mainly tomatoes) and i felt freakin' fantastic. well i've added them in lately bec. we had a bunch from our garden and i don't think they're working 4 me. could be a coincedence?

periquin is offline Senior Member
    Just going back about 200 or 300 years our ancestors ate a lot differently than we do today. They ate the weeds that we kill in out lawns! Get a book on wild edible plants and try some instead of the supermarket food that is artificial even when it is real. There might be some sort of club in your area. Get a cook book from Appalachia. Just eat the things that grow locally and just eat them in season.

thanks periquin! actually did some foraging this summer for weeds and berries, was feelin' very grok-like. i guess i kind of gave up when all the berries started drying up:-( i'm seeing some dandelions though so i'll give it another go.

Coconut is offline Senior Member
    Wild strawberries ARE tiny.. we had some growing in our back yard. I wasn't tempted to eat them because I can go to the supermarket and buy sweet ones. Which makes me wonder how much fruit caveman (Grok) really ate. I actually really like fruit and am confused about the whole modern fruit and carb thing.. Especially since I think I am sugar sensitive. But fruit gets processed by the liver first so it doesn't impact blood sugar like processed sugar does.. still its confusing..

When I have done some harvesting of my own I do feel very Grokette like too.. its actually a really nice feeling. Grokettes have been gathering or milllions of years, so its in our genes. I think food tastes better when you have to pick it yourself too..

well said coconut (love the name btw, you're my fav. food;-) we only buy 'wild' blueberries as far as fruit goes and that's pretty rare anyways.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast