Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Causes for excess mucous? (not runny nose) page

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member

Causes for excess mucous? (not runny nose)

Shop Now
    My husband is a chronic mucous factory. I guess we all are--but he coughs up globs of it daily. It's pretty disgusting, but we're concerned it may be a tip-off to something in his diet. He's tired of having to hack of balls of mucous every morning and occasionally throughout the day.

He says his head feels pressurized sometimes, but not always. Also, we're tried the Netti Pot (nasal irrigation) and there doesn't seem to be any blockage as the water comes out clear and quick. His throat is fine, no other symptoms of allergies.

Any idea what could cause this?

lizch is offline Senior Member
    What does he eat? Is he primal?

Sounds to me like what I call "McDonalds throat" Other than McDonalds, dairy does it to me too.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

He's primal! He does eat a LOT of cottage cheese though I'm afraid if I told him to try cutting that out he'd say the mucous was worth it. That man loves his cottage cheese.

shannon is offline Senior Member
    sounds like my hub, he eats plenty of dairy:-(
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    reflux.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Cillakat, hacking up mucous is a form of reflux? If so, what does that mean? That he be avoiding acidic and spicy foods?

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member
    No dairy products and this will sound a little weird but it works wonders. When you use the saline rinse add a few drops (only a few drops) of baby shampoo into the salt water solution. I have always had really bad sinus infections and when I used the regular saline wash it would do the same. The water would pour right out the other nostril but when I added a few drops of baby shampoo and let it sit for 30 seconds in my sinuses it opened right up. It'll feel weird at first but this works. My mother has some serious sinus issues and will be flying up to Philly to attend University of Penn medical center Smell lab in order to do some testing on her sinuses and this is exactly what they recommend. This is the world's leading authority of sinus issues so they have some clout behind them. I will find the page with the explanation and post it.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    dairy does it to me

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Dairy supposedly produces a tremendous amount of mucus. Is it worse for him later in the day -- after he's consumed dairy, in other words?

On the other hand, this study counters the milk = mucus theory... http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2154152
    But that's on average, like all studies -- it may be that for some people it does have that effect and for others it doesn't.

thanatos is offline Senior Member
    Dairy for me too. If I have anything significant like a cup of coffee or cheese etc sure enough mucous the next morning. He's going to have it until he cuts right back to practically nothing. Mucous is your body trying to eliminate toxins, what does it say about his diet when he coughs it up frequently - too much toxins being eaten.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast