Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hungry in Autumn page

cheapo is offline Senior Member

Hungry in Autumn

Primal Fuel
    Hey Folks,
    At the end of last summer, while the days were still warm, but when the nights had turned cool, I was hit with a very strong "hibernation" urge.
    • I was tired and ready for bed at 20:00. I fell off the exercise wagon.
    • I wanted to eat. All the time. A lot.

This wasn't just a matter of a week or two. It lasted until December. Each time the temperature would drop a few degrees, it would hit me again!

It is autumn again and I find myself eating big suppers and afterwards, my wife's homemade jam straight out of the jar, by the spoonful. My dark chocolate "sensible vice" is less sensible, etc. Except for the laziness, I feel fine, but I beat myself up for breaking the rules.

Taking a long term view, maybe it is nothing to worry about. After all, I did it last year and I still wound up skinnier this year. But, the fall is full of big meals and they build to a thundering crescendo of Thanksgiving and Christmas turkeys and sweets. If I don't police myself, things will truly get out of hand, but how to do it without overdoing it?

Does anyone else feel this way? How are you dealing with it?

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Strangely enough, only when I stop trying to police myself do my cravings for bad things diminish. Thinking that "this is bad and I shouldn't be having it" makes it all the more tempting. So I tell myself that I can have ice cream and chocolate anytime I want, and I mean it. I end up having one or two bowls a week, max. We don't need laws to combat trouble. Laws make the trouble.

queen_sheba is offline Senior Member
    agreed - i know I am eating too much chocolate (even at 85% cocoa) so i have to find ways to forget about it. it is becoming slightly easier as each day passes...
    Scottish Sarah

Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

Give me a poke on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pistepals
    **Remember to tell me your forum name so I know who you are!**

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    Agreed! I've found I can most easily pass up on things when I tell myself "I can eat this. Anytime I want. And I just might...next time." Saying "later" instead of "no" really helps me

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    Based on your pictures, I think you are clearly in maintenance mode with your weight... Plus you have a pretty strong grasp of what it takes to strip off a pound or 10.. I say fatten yourself up like a thanksgiving turkey. It's probably very good for you to store up some energy to burn later Take a month or 2 off from working out and hit it again hard when you feel like it.

That is an interesting technique.

I think it works because it reminds one that one has a choice.
    "I can eat this." implies "I can choose not to eat this."

Quote Originally Posted by slowcooker View Post
    Based on your pictures, I think you are clearly in maintenance mode with your weight... Plus you have a pretty strong grasp of what it takes to strip off a pound or 10.. I say fatten yourself up like a thanksgiving turkey. It's probably very good for you to store up some energy to burn later Take a month or 2 off from working out and hit it again hard when you feel like it.
    This is what I would like to do.
    I think it might be right for me.
    Maybe taking a break is exactly what I need to propel myself to the next level!
    BUT, I am scared that it's not; that I will wind up fat and out of shape, eating bonbons while watching my soaps!

plus - at those events - pile your plate with the turkey and the veggies and there will be no room for the other carbier stuff (don't know what you guys have bu we have roast potatos, yorkshire puds etc)
    Scottish Sarah

Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

i think it's also interesting what we see as a snack. go retro and do cheese on a cocktail stick as a snackk...it doesn't have to be bonbons! Or Strips of crunchy cucumber in guacamole/salsa, or bbq chicken wings...

Lesser of two weavils (a joke there i think)

Mention to the host or the hostess that you are going to bring your own - make sure you have plenty nuts, guacamole, salsa, chicken drums/wings, make some primal cookies (almonds)...

it's all about choices - you know the right ones to make...so go for it - comfort eat but on the primal stuff!

: -)
    Scottish Sarah

shannon is offline Senior Member
    yup, it's about that time again. i find myself craving pumpkin pie and hitting the sheets early;-) farewell summer
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast