Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - Debbie page 28

Debbie is offline Senior Member
    I forgot to mention that I take 200 mc of Synthroid every night, on an empty stomach. With breakfast, most mornings I take high-quality supplements (no dye, sugar, yeast, this or that): calcium/magnesium/vit D; a multi; and Vit D (not combined). I have been getting leg cramps lately, and having read that magnesium can't do it's magic on cramps when binding with calcium, I will start taking it (alone) at dinner. After I get that back to normal, I will reintroduce the supplements to rehabituate my gut. It's just that all these pills and their primadonna schedules get to be more trouble than they're worth.

I have been cutting back on caffeine. I used to drink two large mugs o' joe every morning, before going out into the world. Sometimes, I would drink it at work, too. Not too often, though, because it's not as good as mine. +p I drink one large mug now, with coconut milk. Speaking of which, I was introduced to a lovely product last week at my son's girlfriend's birthday party. She is a gorgeous Brazilian, and this Sococo Leite de Coco came from a Brazilian grocer. Lucky for me, it's in the town where I work so I will find a way to get there and keep a regular stash. Yay! Yesterday, I bought half-caf to start when I finish my regular grind in the next couple of days. One or two cups of tea on those afternoons when I have a pervasive headache or feel myself slipping into a coma should work. It's what I did when I cut my consumption in half.

B - Some of the beef I made yesterday, heated up with some (frozen) whole green beans, and two eggs in EVOO. Supplements.
    D - Chicken cooked in tomato paste, SOCO with pepper, sesame oil, garlic salt and pepper and cauliflower stirred into it's broth.

I will skip lunch today, and have dinner around 4:30 - 5:00.

Reading other people's stories, I remember how stressed I used to be. It was a huge factor in everything from how I felt about food to the food I ate to what the food did to me. This year has just been increasingly better and better, and food is no longer a huge thing in my life. I like it, don't get me wrong. But it just isn't the obsession that it was for a great deal of my life. As long as these people stay primal, as they work through these major life upheavals and develop new coping mechanisms, I hope they see a change in their relationship with food, too.

I have two low-paying jobs. I am tired and need to figure out how to re-introduce exercise into my life. I like hiking/walking and lifting/strength exercises. Yoga was too painful and Pilates was alright, with modifications. I am hoping that as my inflammation eases, I can try them again. Tai Chi might be fun with a group but in my living room with a dvd ... not so much. Yawn.

Well ... I got hungry, so I ate some chicken that I cooked yesterday, shredded on a bed of mixed greens, at 3:30.

My sons had an impromptu little gathering and I was invited. =) I had a burger without fake cheese (blech) or roll, but I did smear a little mustard and BBQ sauce on it at about 6:00. Not so bad.

*pause*

I also had some tortilla chips and two beers.

Could I have done without them? Yeah. But you know, I didn't go crazy ... and the kooky Hawaiian beer with passion fruit was interesting (although I stuck to my Corona, for the second) ... and I had a good time with them and some of their friends. I could have had red wine but I don't like what it does to my mood a day or two later. I don't sob anymore, but I get in some sorta funk. Beer doesn't do that to me. =D

I will eat primal tomorrow. I will probably try a little of this or that at the office birthday party on Wednesday, and we're having pizza and ice cream cake for my younger son's 23rd birthday on Friday. I can forgo the ice cream cake. But I am going to have a slice of pizza and I am (probably) going to wash it down with a brew.

That will have to be it, though, because I bet by that time, I am going to feel some pain.

This has been an unusually festive week at work (read: food fest) and it ended with my son's birthday (pizza).

On the good side: I feel alright. I am not in any more pain (arthritis) than usual and things that have been rather sluggish have, erm, started moving along. I am NOT interpreting this as "I need to eat less primal". I am interpreting this as "that whole 80/20 thing has a variety of benefits, even if it occasionally slips to 70/30 or, um, yeah ..."

After enjoying the better fit of my clothes for a couple of weeks, I finally weighed myself yesterday and saw that I had lost five pounds and I want to keep that going. Also, having had more crap than I usually eat (although I did not go hogwild), I have a yearning for cleaner fare. So! Today for breakfast, I am going to cook up some chopped broccoli in EVOO with lots garlic, some kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper, and add a couple of eggs for protein.

And, having read a post about someone's issue that could be potentially linked to nightshades, I am getting closer and closer to believing that I owe it to myself to at least eliminate them long enough to see if there are the sort of results I am hoping for.

I don't eat eggs daily but I do eat them several times a week. Damn! Maybe I have to eliminate them, too? One thing at a time, one. thing. at. a. time.

I have some food I am going to finish before I begin my nightshade experiment. This is nothing to be sad about. It's food, for chrissake, and although it's satisfying to enjoy my food ... it is very disturbing to sense that it sometimes has more of a priority in my life than it should. I need to eat to live, not live to eat.

One of the girls brought in the good tortilla chips from Panch Gringo's, and salsa with fresh cilantro. Of course, I ate it. I ate it and paid dearly. I will not give up a good salsa or pico de gallo; it is in my blood, dammit! But the chips ... or, more specifically, the corn ... I think it actually affected my mood.

I know it's been an emo week. Today is the one year anniversary of my mom's passing. But those were random tears, not anger. And I wasn't feeling sad, just sensitive. I got some wild anger ride within fifteen minutes of eating those chips. I got busy at my desk and none were the wiser what the heck was going on with me, but I noticed.

A friend from work inherited a bunch of leeks and gave me three. So, right now, they're cooking with TJ's apple-smoked bacon and brussel sprouts. It smells so good! I am looking forward to eating it on a bed of mesclun greens for lunch.

I had my constitutional one cuppa joe (half-caf, since I'm weaning off, and what great results have occurred with that!) with coconut milk and went to my annual check-up. Yeah. That one. The female one. But! Great news! I've lost another few pounds =)

It's hard to say exactly how many since I'm talking about three different scales (the one at my endocrinologist's office, the one at work, and the one at the gyno's) but it's in the 8 - 10 pound range now. Woo Hoo!

My endocrinologist wants to see me when I get down to 180, so he can adjust my Synthroid Rx. I was 227 in 2007 and got down to 189 with an unhealthy diet and working out like a fiend. Since then I have gone from 189 to 204 and back down again, more than a couple of times. I know why. That problem has been resolved and there's no need to beat the dead horse here.

I am going to get down to 180 and hold it, for awhile. Then, I am going to lose more.

one large mug of half-caf with coconut milk
    one bowl of frozen pureed bananas with jasmine tea

leeks/apple-smoked bacon/brussel sprouts on mesclun greens

swordfish and asparagus, cooked in EVOO and possibly drizzled with sesame oil

That's the plan, man!
    Last edited by Debbie; 09-14-2012 at 09:16 AM. Reason: forgot to list today's menu

It's been a gray, rainy day ... the kind that makes me think about grilled cheese dipped in tomato soup. As I drove home, I thought of different places I could go to have that for dinner because that would be less harmful than buying a WHOLE loaf of bread to make it at home.

I thought about how good it feels to stick to 80/20. Most of my aches and pains are gone and the persistent one in my left hip has certainly diminished. My face is clearer. I've lost enough weight (ten pounds) that people have noticed and commented.

I drove home and had salmon and a Trader Joe's concoction with various green vegetables in garlic butter. I was physically satisfied but something inside was still whining so I shut her up with an omelet.

Now I am stuffed. I am going to have a cup of chamommile/raspberry/mint tea and go to bed.

I have added a bit of fat to my food because (1) I need more calories, (2) I think it will be good for my skin and joints and (2) I am getting bored with my food.

I need to increase my exercise which is currently just a bit above nothing. I like it; that's not the problem. It's that I have to create time for it.

Adding more fat has been a good thing for me.

I have not weighed myself recently, and until my clothes are a wee bit loser, I feel no reason to weigh myself soon. My clothes are loose enough that they look a little silly. Losing another five - ten pounds will require new clothes.

The bottom line is: I just feel altogether better ... my skin is better than it's ever been. As a matter of fact, the other night I got a compliment that I don't believe I have EVER received: he said I had beautiful skin!

I was stunned! Many women have commented that my skin looks good (and these are women that have known me for a few years so they know how bad it can get). But no one, NO ONE, has ever said to me, "You have beautiful skin."

wow

I will say that my GI tract does not function as well as it used to but, I suspect, that is a lack of exercise. Until April, I was on my feet and moving, every day. Now, I sit and stand, but I don't move so much. I went to the track yesterday and Saturday, before work, but my full time job during the week precludes that from happening. There's a method; I just have to figure it out.

I was going to go after work tonight but (1) it got bloody cold and (2) my asthma is kicking in. I wonder what that's about, as it was a non-issue last year. I need to get an inhaler if I am going to walk in the cold air. I can lift and do some random isometric exercises, but I need to figure out how to get more 'walking' in.

Okay. I am going to have some Sleepy Time tea and hit the hay. Adios +)

bettylamb24 is offline Junior Member
    I forgot images have to be approved

Okay! So it's been a few months since I've been here.

I have continued to lose weight. I am not really sure where I started so I don't truly know how much I've lost but it's at least fifteen pounds. I am wearing clothes I haven't worn in nearly twenty years! (It's a good things I have classic taste or I'd look a little silly wearing trendy stuff from the '90s).

What really got me on a roll was changing my view of food. I turned fifty last month and over the years, more and more foods have become troublesome in a variety of ways. When I was young (in my twenties and early thirties) I'd just suffer with it because I liked the food or I did not want to be inconvenienced with modifying my diet while feeding my family what they expected. All the stuff one sees these days about GMOs and hormones in our meat; most of us cannot afford grassfed beef and organic vegetables ... we can barely put the gas in our cars to get to work! So, I stopped viewing the extra fat on my body as some ugly thing that needed to be eliminated ... and thinking of weight loss as a step by step process to change my blood chemistry for the better.

I started thinking of my fat as a well-stocked pantry. I did not need to eat as much (or buy as much) because I could use the fat on my body as fuel. My negative opinions about my fat became very matter-of-fact and non-judgmental.

I thought about all the stuff I've read here and at Dr Mercola's about fasting ... about how it used to be a regular part of my life when I was religious (in my teens). As an early stage diabetic, I have been educated about maintaining my blood sugar and eating about 400 calories every four hours. Ugh.

Too much freakin' thinkin'!

Since January of last year, I have been working very hard to stop thinking so damn much and just 'be' and 'do'.

So ... all of this came together and started me moving in a losing direction.

I eat a lot of vegetables. That is the bulk of my food. I eat whatever fat I need and give no mind to how much. I eat animal protein, but not in massive quantities. It's not that I have anything against it; I don't have much money in my food budget.

Last weekend, my landlady offered me two chicken carcasses. I made broth with them, and chicken vegetable soup with that. Today, for breakfast, I had some of that soup. For lunch, I had a salad with mesclun greens, some grapes and orange segments, almonds, Gorgonzola cheese, and raspberry vinaigrette (premade from DiCicco's grocer, right next door to my weekend job). For dinner, I cooked a whole bag of turnips with turnip greens in coconut oil and dressed it with Orange Muscat Champagne Vinegar.

That is a lot of food for me. I tend to eat a bit more on the weekends because my shifts at my part time job are irregular and that's just how it works out. Monday - Friday, I work a day shift at a hospital. I have coffee in the morning with some goat milk, no sugar. Lunch is a thirty minute break between 1pm - 3pm. I will eat pretty much anything. It could be a salad or half a sandwich with a cup of soup. I might bring it from home, I might buy it at work. The other day, I split a turkey club with my friend, and we got sweet potato fries. I get home some time after 6pm and cook a bag of frozen vegetables. Last night, I had broccoli with EVOO, garlic, salt and pepper.

That's it. And I am losing weight. Oh! One of my sons gave me a gym membership for Christmas. I came down with a cold two weeks ago and my lungs are not quite right yet, so I've stayed away. I think I will use the treadmill this week but no inclines and keep it slow. I don't want to hack up a lung.

My skin on my face is not looking so good right now, but that could be anything. =( On the other hand, I have NO joint pain anymore. Yes, I am still stiff but hell ... I'm fifty and I work two jobs. I usually sleep well and have energy. No, I don't do cartwheels everywhere but I don't moan and groan about how tired I am like most middle-aged people I know, either. My stomach problems are practically non-existent. I had colonoscopy a couple of months ago and the doctor said that I had "the colon of a twenty year old". ha ha ha ha ha I hope he meant a healthy twenty year old. I had my 50,000 mile check up and my PCP wanted to know what I was doing ... that everything looked great. I suspect my endocrinologist will be lowering my Synthroid because he told me he wanted me to lose twenty pounds so that he could ... and by the time I see him in June, I expect to have lost over twenty pounds since my last visit.

So. That's where I am. Oh! I forgot one crucial bit of info: I believe that we all need different things and that everything changes ... so what is working for me now probably won't work forever, and it's up to me to pay attention and be willing to tweak my lifestyle to get the most out of living.

I weighed myself today; I've lost about 27 pounds. There is a lot of gush so I've been working on that, and it's improving.

I have not been sleeping well at all. I am facing surgery and six weeks of short-term disability. I plan on using this time to take care of business ... namely: the business of me. I will be a compliant patient so that I don't undo the surgery, but I hope to work out this having my days and nights confused ... and being more diligent on taking my supplements, etc.

I probably have more relevant info but, honestly, I am so tired from being so sleep-deprived, that I am going to wash and brush and hit the hay.

adios and good night

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am out on short-term disability, having had some major surgery a month ago. I don't own a scale; I weigh myself a couple of times a month at work (I work at a hospital) and, having not been there recently, I don't know what I weigh. I do know, however, that on surgery day (June 5th), I was down 32 pounds since last October. I suspect I've lost a couple of pounds since then because my tummy has lost some gush. Yay!

I am sleeping normally again. I am slowly increasing my exercise. Since I am not as active as I am normally, I fast more than I did when I was working at two jobs. There really is no point in eating breakfast unless I am ravenous, so I've been out of that habit for months. Sometimes, I am really hungry and have no qualms about eating some eggs, possibly with some vegetables or fresh herbs tossed in. Because our high school track is closed for maintenance, I have been walking outside of the fence ... on the grass. I think this is much better! Although we have a forgiving, synthetic track surface, as a walker (read: not a runner), I think walking on grass - and paying closer attention to the irregular surface - is just a win-win all the way around.

I had gone back on my supplements but this has created all sorts of, erm, distress. So, as of today, I will continue my B-complex with the first meal of the day and my chelated zinc on an empty stomach, before going to bed. Being out of work presently means I am getting plenty of Vitamin D while reading outside.

I think the 80/20 approach works for me. I keep vegetables (fresh and frozen), eggs, canned tuna in olive oil, fresh lemons, herbs (fresh and dried), and various oils in my place. I try to limit myself to two cans of tuna a week ... sometimes, it becomes three or four but that's no more than one week in a month. I have salmon in the freezer. I am pretty scared of chicken right now, because I cannot afford the chicken I would not be afraid to eat. Same for beef and pork. On the other hand, I am not the pain-in-the-ass guest that "doesn't eat that". That's where my 20% comes in ... as well as the beef/chicken/pork from questionable sources, random potato or rice, etc.

Historically, I drink more alcohol in the summer. It's not just because I like an ice cold brew, either. It's that there's all these cookouts and it's hot as hell! I used to be more of a wine drinker and I know that beer is not the wisest choice. But, drinking "more", for me, means 2-4 a week instead of a month. Nah, I am not going to drop that. It will die a natural death as the weather cools ...

For those in the USA: Happy 4th! For everyone else: Happy 4th! (It's still July 4th where you live, right?)

Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast