Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - Debbie page 2

Debbie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    B - last link spicy chicken sausage with scrambled eggs
    L - tonno in olive oil on a bed of baby mesclun greens
    S - celery and organic carrots dipped in tahini dressing (mixed with water, fresh squeezed lemon juice and pressed garlic, sea salt & fresh cracked black pepper)
    D - something with bison meat that I picked up ... I've never prepared it before ... I expect to use olive oil, fresh garlic, organic tomatoes, fresh basil from my little plant ... umm ... broccoli? maybe cauliflower ... we'll see ... I usually make it up as I go along =)

Not feeling so hot today. Maybe the food at the fair yesterday had something to do with it but, truth is, I've been feeling fairly lousy for the better part of the last five weeks.

I was not hungry until nearly noon, so I had the last link of spicy chicken sausage and scrambled two eggs in the pan after it was browned. I forgot to mention the two cups of coffee with half 'n' half.

I got hungry around 3:45 so I browned the one pound of bison meat in some bacon fat that I kept in the fridge, after cooking bacon earlier in the week. I sliced one yellow onion and one yellow squash, and added it, along with 10 organic bitty little tomatoes. I was not in the mood for garlic or fresh basil, but I only ate a quarter of it so I'll put a quarter in the fridge and two quarters (in separate containers) in the freezer for later. Depending on my mood when I eat it at the time, I'll doctor it up then.

I hope The Primal Blueprint arrives tomorrow. This site is great but there is so much info. I am sure the book will distill it to a manageable amount of information and then I'll be better equipped to use the info here, in an order that works for me.

I am going to see my friend's daughters perform at a club up the road tonight. If I am hungry, I'll have the tonno in olive oil on a bed of baby mesclun greens right before I go.

I wasn't hungry before going to see my friends, so I did not eat. But then (I guess because it was a social situation?) I ordered food there. It was striped shrimp with a chipotle' aioli, baby greens and a black bean salsa. It was delicious and, I noticed, that I had an appetite a couple of hours later. I did not eat. I was not hungry. But those damn black beans gave me an appetite.

I don't regret my choice. It was delicious and it was a confirmation of the things I am learning here. What's to regret?

B - two cups of coffee (1st with the last of the half 'n' half; 2nd with cream) ... not hungry yet so I don't know what I'll have before work
    L - the rest of the bison meat mixture I made last night on top of the last of my baby mesclun mix
    S - 1/2 c sunflower seeds
    D - eggs cooked in bacon grease

Green tea and water throughout the day. I lost some more weight but, with water fluctuations, I seem to lose it in a "two steps forward, one step back" fashion. Ergo, I could easily weigh a pound more tomorrow. However, I have lost 14 pounds since August 7th ... and, I think, the last four have been since I started this ... um ... on the 18th (?). I don't want to get too crazy about this ... I can't even remember all the birthdays of my 20 nieces and nephews, so it would just be wrong if I knew what day I started eating differently and how much weight I lost in a given period. Again, what really appeals to me about this is the naturalness of it all ... putting whole food into a whole body, eating when I'm hungry and stopping when I'm satisfied ... occasionally giving in to social ques (eating at a restaurant) but accepting accountability (it's my choice to participate; no one can make me). Gawd, this is so freeing ... so normal! It's educational, too. I knew the dictionary definitions of 'appetite' and 'hunger', but limiting the amount of crap I put into my body allows me to recognize its signals.

PS - I had an avocado about thirty minutes before I headed out for work but I needed to post that, in the early afternoon, I noticed that I feel better today than I have in over a month. I have theories but they're not important to me right now. I am just going to continue eating right and going to bed enough hours before I have to get up to give me a chance for rest (even if I have insomnia). If I feel this good tomorrow, when I wake up, I will exercise. I don't want dinner ... I am going to go to my usual haunts online and then wrap it up, wash and brush, and hit the sack.

adios

I see an old habit of mine reared its ugly head yesterday: the need to eat to ward off potential hypoglycemic symptoms. I have yet to suffer these symptoms eating this way and yet I ate twice when I was not hungry. Last night, I whrrred in the blender one cup of coconut milk, two room temperature bananas (freezing the rest for later use) and 1/2 c of frozen blueberries. Can you say sharp stomach pain?

So, today I will not eat until I am hungry. Period. I will take 1/2 c of raw walnuts to sustain me in case my ques don't align with the schedule at work.

I am drinking my coffee now. I think that's probably a ritual more than a necessity but I like it and have no intention of messing with it. Yet. So, the following menu is a plan but it could all go out the window if it doesn't happen within a certain time frame.

B - 2 c coffee with cream, omelet cooked in butter and topped with fresh basil
    L - tonno in olive oil in a little bowl, on the side: celery, organic carrots and tomatoes
    S - 1/2 raw walnuts
    D - salmon atop broccoli cooked with lots of garlic in olive oil

I had the omelet. It looked so little with just the little basil leaves I pinched off the plant artfully scattered within and atop. It was just right, though.

I have some residual stomach pains. I don't know if it's from the coconut milk (likely ... I remember drinking coconut from the shell when I was stationed in Hawaii and the pain was enough that I didn't do it again) or fruit. *shoulder shrug* I don't want to swear off either so I think I just need to scale back a bit. Perhaps the next smoothee I make will be less coconut milk diluted with cold water. Since I froze the bananas, I could definitely go to one or one and a half.

Although I have been working through a lot of muck in the last few years, and have become much calmer in the process, I definitely sense that the lack of carb's has contributed to this still calm of mine. I don't know that this way of life would have had such an impact on my mind, say, a year ago but that does not matter because I am here now. It will be interesting to watch how this pans out in a full month of hormonal fluctuations.

I skipped the salmon and just ate the broccoli in olive oil with lots of garlic. Yum. Time to wash and brush and hit the hay. BUT! I am so excited because I requested the status of my book, the PB, and Morgan very kindly got back to me to let me know that it's arrived at my PO ... so I will pick it up tomorrow morning, enroute to work. Woo hoo! Also ... saw those videos on the home page and ... um ... wow! I guess I would have been the one back at the cave, watching the groklings ... as I am now, I would not have the ability to catch any dinner. Well ... it was inspiring more than intimidating. I think.

I started feeling really good yesterday afternoon. I believe lack of grains and minimal dairy are part of it but, because I had been feeling poorly for over a month, I wonder if something else was at play. *shoulder shrug* Whatever. Now, I just need my normal sleeping habits and I'll be fit to go to the track in the morning before preparing for work.

B - two cups of coffee with cream, two strips of Niman Ranch bacon, one yellow squash and one onion sauteed in the grease
    L - ten little bitty organic tomatoes, two hard boiled eggs, one organic carrot, one celery stalk
    S - half a cup of raw almonds
    D - one quarter cup raw sunflower seeds browned in butter, one 10 ounce package cauliflower (thawed) tossed in, some chicken broth and curry powder all stirred in

Two mugs of green tea and water throughout the day.

I need to go food shopping again but it will have to wait until the weekend. I think I will finish these tomatoes and not buy any next time because I've gotten the impression from posts here (on MDA) that people believe nightshade consumption to contribute to various ailments that I've been having ... and I do eat a lot of tomatoes. I will pick up my book (PB) from the PO enroute to work so I will probably read about it. In any event, it's probably time to shake things up a bit: buy less of this and more of that and experiment with new ways of making my food.

I was editing my post last night and hit the delete key one too many times. thppt! =p Too tired, I went to bed.

I finished the last of my organic itty bitty tomatoes yesterday and will eliminate (for a little while) nightshades from my diet. When I read The Book this weekend, I will be educated about those delightful little fruits and know what it is that I am looking for in their absence.

I learned that 1/2 c of almonds hurts my stomach. I can eat 1/2 c of walnuts, no problem. My lunch time at work is 1:30 and I am never home before 8:00, so I really need a substantial snack to hold me. Or do I? This is an old habit of mine, anticipating and circumventing hunger, rooted in the days when I got diaphoretic. I have yet to have severe symptoms from hunger, eating this way. UGH! Some old habits die hard. Okay. New rule: only take 1/4 c of nuts, of any kind, for daily snack. I am not going to keel over and, very likely, I will find that's just enough to hold me.

I tried coconut milk in my coffee this morning. Umm, no. I don't want to do that again soon. I was a trooper and drank the whole thing; didn't whine like a baby and pour it down the sink. I gave it a fair shot but it just does not cut the bitterness like cream does. I like strong coffee, I just don't like the bitter aftertaste. I've tried milder coffees and ... well ... why bother? So, for now, cream is still in my diet. I have butter and shredded cheese and I am going to finish them. However, I will hold off on replacing them when they're gone. They're not so necessary in my book and, having quit dairy before, I know that it's something I want to do again. I could quit coffee for the umpteenth time (therefore, quit the need for cream) but I don't want to right now. I like tea, but not like I like coffee. Coffee, to me, is about starting the day ... getting a move-on. Tea, on the other hand, is something I like to do in the afternoon ... a little 'me' time while I work.

I have a few errands to run before going into work today so I gotta git.

Okay, so I thought I'd be alright going to work without breakfast (I really wasn't hungry!), 1/4 c of raw walnuts, an avocado and a can of tuna in olive oil. I figured I could get a spinach salad for lunch and the other three things would be, um, snacks.

Who knew that spinach salad was on the hospital coffee shop's summer menu ONLY? argh

Okay. So, I ate the walnuts around noon ... and left for lunch at 1:37 at the coffee shop, and had a ham/Swiss/tomato melt on flatbread and some fruit. Eh ... I could have done worse and I really could not have done better, save for peeling off the flatbread and eating the stuff on the inside. Whatever. Yes, I was feeling a hunger at 6:00 ... hunger pangs one does NOT get when eating primal. I don't suffer those several times a day anymore so I rode it out. I did not have anything to "hold me" over because that would have been more carb's and I have ridden that merry-go-round for decades. Better to be hungry until I can eat something primally substantial. I got home a bit after 8:00 and sliced up a little pepper (the kind that comes in the guac kit at Trader Joe's) and cooked it in butter ... whisked a couple of organic eggs and poured them in ... topped them off with the last of the shredded Cheddar ... and sliced up the avocado on the side.

ahhhhh ....

I am content.

I am also smarter. I will not wing it tomorrow. Even if I don't have the time to go grocery shopping before work, I will finagle something.

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast