Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frustrated and Primal page

saffronmama is offline Junior Member

Frustrated and Primal

Hi, I've been primal for about 4 months now. I eat no grains, no dairy and very very little sugar (a sprinkle on something every now and then). High in protein and fats, minimal veggies and fruits and only water to drink. I've lost NO weight and keep my carb count to about 30-40g a day. I follow a weekly plan on sprints, walking, lifting heavy things. My fasting glucose went from 87 to 109 in 7 months and my cholesterol has gone from 199 to 227 in 7 months (4 of those months primal up until present) No weight loss, though I have lost an inch off my chest, waist, hips and thighs. My doc tells me to eat more healthy and exercise more and wants me to cut back on saturated fats to lower my cholesterol. How can I eat more healthy when I already do?? AND my blood pressure is high now and I've had to go on meds. Just so frustrating but I'm continuing to eat as such and exercise though I'll prob cut back on the fats and bacon due to the sodium content.
    I'm frustrated at all the other stories about people's bp going down, their cholesterol lowering and losing tons of weight. I'm always tired and weak now that I'm on the bp meds and can't work out like I used to because I'm just so weak. I do feel better without the grains though, but am frustrated with the rest.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    How much weight do you have to lose? Mark says in the book that days of less than 50g of carbohydrates should be limited to a few times a week, not every day in perpetuity. 50 - 100 grams is the sweet spot, and I can attest to that. <50g wasn't doing anything for me once I got down to the last 20 or so pounds to lose. But over the past couple of weeks I've been upping my daily carb intake and have noticed a difference. Are you diabetic? If so, could you have Dawn Phenomenon? The other thing I can think of is that vegetables are so high in nutrients that unless you are eating free-range, grass-fed meat every day, you are not getting the nutrients you need and so your body is in conservation mode. And even then, you could be lacking.

mizski is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by saffronmama View Post
    High in protein and fats, minimal veggies and fruits and only water to drink. I've lost NO weight and keep my carb count to about 30-40g a day.
    Why minimal veg and fruit? I know some here eat that way (mostly meat and fats) but I really think it's much healthier to have lots of veggies, high fat and moderate protein. If you look at the PB Food Pyramid, vegetables and some fruit are the "bulk of meal emphasis and nutrients." Fruit IMO is optional especially if one is looking to lose weight.

I'm puzzled why your BP went up. Are your proteins primarily fresh meats, poultry, fishes and eggs or are you having a lot of smoked/processed meats?

Your carbs may be too low. Adding more veggies should help with that and also your tiredness and weakness.

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    Many people, especially women, need more carbs. I recently tried to go VLC, about 50 or less to lose weight quickly and it didn't work. I went back to eating more fresh veggies and fruits and added coconut milk. After getting my carbs back into the 75-150 range I was able to lose weight again. And it was mainly body fat since my waist went down an inch, and the scale went down 2.2 pounds in 4 days.

VLC does not work for everyone, and it is awesome for some. If what you are doing it NOT working, then don't do it anymore. Follow the PB. As long as you are eating healthy carbs and staying away from grains, beans and potatoes you should be fine.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mizski View Post
    I'm puzzled why your BP went up.
    Probably because she's not getting enough potassium (limiting non-starchy produce) and is getting in ratio, too much sodium.

Insufficient magnesium will also do it.

I'd track for a bit in nutritiondata.com You'll likely find that you're getting too much fat, insufficient mg and potassium, possibly insufficient selenium and zinc.

Are you supplementing vitamin D?

What is your blood pressure?

What is the rest of your cholesterol profile? Total means very very little.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Increase your vegetable intake but if you're a diabetic then stay away from the fruit (apart from some occasional berries).

saffronmama is offline Junior Member
    I need to lose about 20-30 lbs (I'm 5'0" and weight 166) and I'm not diagnosed diabetic, the fasting glucose test just came back high. I get tested again in 3 months. And the veggies I eat minimally because of how high some of them are in carbs though I do eat spinach, green beans, broccoli, squash frequently. I do eat 2 eggs every morning but the meat I eat is just your run of the mill pork, chicken, turkey and fish from a local market. I can't afford the free-range, grass-fed meat :/

I take Vit E, Fish oil, Magnesium 400mg, Potassium 198mg and dont eat extra salts at all. I went to the doc today and my bp was 124/89. Better than it was seeing it was 178/109. I do follow with fitday.com to see where my %'s of fats/proteins/carbs and nutritional values are and I get at least 15 min of sun every day. (Im in Texas, not hard to do at all!
    My fasting blood glucose in Nov 09 was 83 and went to 109 in Sept 10. In Nov 09, my total chol was 199, total Triglycerides 189, LDL 117 and HDL 44. In Sept '10, total chol went to 227, total triglycerides 125, LDL 147 and HDL 55.

Im having a hard time exercising right now too because my body is still getting used to a lower blood pressure and I'm always weak. Im going to up my carbs a bit to around 60g-70g with more veggies and see if this helps any. I go back in 3 months for another test and hopefully, I can tweak it enough to get in the 'zone'. I'm still feeling MUCH better than when I used to eat grains, dairy, sugars and junk food so.. that in itself is a HUGE plus.
    Last edited by saffronmama; 09-22-2010 at 05:30 PM. Reason: add'l info

Katt is offline Senior Member
    I'm still feeling MUCH better than when I used to eat grains, dairy, sugars and junk food so.. that in itself is a HUGE plus.
    This is good. The rest will hopefully get worked out with time. It's also a plus that you are losing inches, despite not losing weight. This means that you are dropping fat and gaining muscle, generally. That's a good sign.

Joe
    Joe is offline Senior Member
    My fasting blood glucose in Nov 09 was 83 and went to 109 in Sept 10.
    An isolated single fasting BG of 109 is not a big deal. BG meters are not that precise. You are doing everything else right. Don't stop. Don't sweat that right now. just repeat it in 3 months.

In Nov 09, my total chol was 199, total Triglycerides 189, LDL 117 and HDL 44. In Sept '10, total chol went to 227, total triglycerides 125, LDL 147 and HDL 55.
    As Kat said, the total is meaningless.

What I see is a big drop in TG 189 --> 125, while at the same time enjoying a big increase in HDL 44 --> 55. Your TG/HDL ratio improved dramatically from 189/44 = 4.29 to 125/55 = 2.27. That is AWESOME.

Your LDL particles, with that TG/HDL ratio, are of the big fluffy type. Your insulin resistance is markedly reduced as well, based on the TG/HDL ration.

If you were my patient, I'd say don't change a thing. If you and your doctor want more reassurance, get a more specific lipid panel done that will directly fractionate your LDL by type. You'll see you have predominantly large, low risk LDL, I guarantee it.
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.

Eteric is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I know how you feel.

I've been on this way of life for like 8 or 9 days now, and I lost 5 pounds. The problem is, I lost 5 pounds in the first two or three days, and haven't lost anything since.

I eat meat and vegetables, and a little cheese sometimes (on omelettes and salad), but other than that, no dairy. I don't walk around as much as I should, though. Maybe that's it?

Hard to move around with no purpose. I need a job or something.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast