Thread: Can someone school me on kelp "noodles"? page

shemdogg is offline Senior Member

Can someone school me on kelp "noodles"?

Shop Now
    I didn't really see a thread dedicated to kelp here on mda. Google search yields a few commercial products that all seem to have additives. Is it possible to get just kelp and what does this stuff taste like?

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    http://www.kelpnoodles.com/
    http://www.kelpnoodles.com/products_...e_noodles.html
    Kelp Noodles are a sea vegetable in the form of an easy to eat raw noodle. Made of only kelp (a sea vegetable), sodium alginate (sodium salt extracted from a brown seaweed), and water, Kelp Noodles are fat-free, gluten-free, and very low in carbohydrates and calories. Their noodle form and neutral taste allow for a variety of uses including salads, stir-fries, hot broths, and casseroles, while their healthful content provides a rich source of trace minerals including iodine, which kelp is well known for. Their unique texture completes the package, making Kelp Noodles a one-of-a-kind healthful and tasty alternative to pasta and rice noodles. Best of all, no cooking is required. Just rinse and add the noodles to any dish and they are ready to eat!
    I tried them--once. Didn't love them. They are not bad--I just don't miss pasta/noodles enough to use them--I'll make squash pasta if I really want thaat personally. But I'd say they are primal IMO.

You can buy kelp granules that you use like salt and pepper. I use them all the time. http://www.seaveg.com/shop/index.php...1b779df7641ab8

Plain kelp, I don't eat straight up--nor have I ever tried to. I've put various seaweeds in broths though (then removed it when I strained the broth...) There are some recipes on MDA that I believe incorperate seaweed. Not my forte though personally. I just use the kelp flakes on *everything*, and hope that's enough!

mizski is offline Senior Member
    I've used the Sea Tangle Kelp Noodles which are all natural with no additives. I've only used them with Asian recipes and not as traditional pasta with tomato sauce. They remind me of rice noodles somewhat and are very neutral in flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by mizski View Post
    I've only used them with Asian recipes and not as traditional pasta with tomato sauce.
    I think that's a really good idea. I used them w/ a tomato sauce and it was ok, but nothing spectacular. You've inspired me mizski--maybe I'll try a pad thai at some point with them...(I used to love pad thai...and if anyone has an awesome recipe, please share! )

Primallady is offline Senior Member
    I used to use them when I was a raw vegan. I liked them.

Pad Thai- I used to make a raw version with young coconut flesh. There are various *pasta* subs out there from zucchini (I prefer zucchini ribbons that are stir cooked in butter- put a meat/tomato sauce over them and it's yum) to butternut squash to konnyaku which are Japanese and made from yam.

mizski is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
    -maybe I'll try a pad thai at some point with them...(I used to love pad thai...and if anyone has an awesome recipe, please share! )
    The Sea Tangle Noodle site has some nice recipes that might give you some ideas. True pad thai has a lot of ingredients. I've made a "tastes sort of like" version. Not sure if bean sprouts are primal though.

http://kelpnoodles.com/recipes_archives.html

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    I'm not a big Kelp fan, but toasted Nori sheets (normally used for making sushi) are wonderful for all kinds of wraps and rolls.
    I also like to eat them plain as snacks

Quote Originally Posted by mizski View Post
    The Sea Tangle Noodle site has some nice recipes that might give you some ideas. True pad thai has a lot of ingredients. I've made a "tastes sort of like" version. Not sure if bean sprouts are primal though.

http://kelpnoodles.com/recipes_archives.html
    Thanks! And when I used to eat pad thai I always picked off the bean sprouts anyway!