Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Beef stew recipes? page

K.ROB is offline Senior Member

Any Beef stew recipes?

Primal Fuel
    I have some grass fed stew meat and want to make a stew today, but all the recipes i find have flour and veggie oil etc.

I might just throw something together, but wondering if anyone has any recipes?

Thanks

Just found this. =) love her site

http://everydaypaleo.com/2010/03/03/...liflower-mash/

LessofMimi is offline Senior Member
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/beef-burgundy-recipe/
    I've made this twice in the last week. So good!
    Melissa Fritcher - 330/252/150
    http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I made Mark's Beef Burgundy recipe yesterday (the one LessOfMimi included a link for). It smelled AMAZING cooking all day, and it tasted even better. That's going to become a regular part of my diet! I almost had some leftovers for breakfast
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

lorez is offline Junior Member
    I often do this one with slight variations of quantities but generally its the same ingredients:

beef (the fattier the cut the better), onions, carrots, celery, garlic, rosemary, smoked paprika, tin of tomatos, beef stock, red wine, salt & pepper.

brown off the beef in a casserole dish
    remove beef and fry the onions, carrots, celery and garlic in a little olive oil
    add the beef and then all the ingredients
    put in the oven on gas mark 4 and leave for as long as you can resist, beleave me this is hard after an hour.

if you want to serve with something I usually do some cabbage/cavalo nero/kale & mashed sweet potato

you can also change the beef for some lamb if you want.

also, have a look for some beef randang recipies like this one, just omit the rice (or do cauliflower rice) - http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/be...ithlemon_90061
    Last edited by lorez; 09-20-2010 at 06:37 AM. Reason: adding an extra side dish

Primallady is offline Senior Member
    I've never used flour - I just saute the meat. Remove from pot. Add onions, garlic and saute. Then add tomatoes, celery , red pepper,and carrots (if you eat them) add the beef back, add some red wine if wanted , let simmer for a few minutes and then add homemade beef stock or other meat stock. I cook mine all day on the fire. I add fresh herbs and sea salt and pepper at the end. The meat falls apart (we use bison- I just call it beef).
    A puree of turnips goes well on the side as does a salad or braised kale.

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    Emril's recipe is AMAZING! I use all the spices, ignore anything that's not primal, just throw everything in the crockpot (instead of stove top) and let me tell you, it's incredible. We all love it!

Oh man the beef burgundy looks great. I will try that this weekend.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K.ROB View Post
    I have some grass fed stew meat and want to make a stew today, but all the recipes i find have flour and veggie oil etc.

I might just throw something together, but wondering if anyone has any recipes?

Thanks
    Make a daube?

Google: daube de boeuf

Some recipes may include flour as a thickener, but it doesn't require it - just leave it out.

Chilli is always a good option, too. Essentially, you want a pound of meat, an onion, a green pepper, 2 cloves of garlic, a tin of tomatoes, a squeeze of tomato puree, a 6 fl. oz. wineglass full of water, salt, and one teaspoon each of the following - cumin, dried oregano, and chiili powder. (or use a fresh chilli instead of the powder, if you've got one). Sear the meat; fry the onion, pepper & garlic more gently. (In fact, be careful not to put the garlic in if the pan's too hot - it smells unpleasant and tastes bitter if it gets too hot, and French chefs are said to hate the smell of Chinese restaurants on account it does get too hot in a wok). Add everything else and simmer for an hour - that could be done in an oven or on a stove top.

Of course, none of this is true hunter-gatherer style. When they "boiled" meat - which it seems many did more often than toasting it - they didn't braise it for a long time to break the connective tissue down, they did it for a short time and ate it fairly "pink".

It mightn't have been beef either:

http://americanart.si.edu/collection...twork/?id=4366

MariaNYC is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I made beef burgundy once, a long time ago -- it was incredible!!! Looks really nice plated, too. Highly recommend you try it! Actually, I think I will get some stew meat and make it myself this weekend
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast