Thread: Massage, detox, and fat. page

mikewootini is offline Senior Member

Massage, detox, and fat.

I was curious if anyone had any input or research on Massage, particularly 'Lipo' Massage?

For past injuries, I've found massages to be helpful - mainly for leg, back, hips, shoulders, but I haven't really thought about it much for detox purposes.

My sports massage therapist was talking to me about 'lipo' massage and how it's had a real effect on the patients she's done this with. She said that the type without machines was the real deal and worked. The idea is that they facilitate breaking down fat and 'helps' detox the lymph system since this is where the crap is stored in your body. I've had a hard time finding anything online about it that didn't seem like a site trying to sell me something. The therapist showed me before and after pictures of patients she worked on, I have to say - there were significant differences in the befores and afters.

Any massage therapists out there care to chime in? Links to science on how this works?
    -mikewootini
    ==================================================
    While I am 100% primal, sometimes I change gears to Paleo.
    twitter feed * Wootini Gallery

Mog
    Mog is offline Senior Member
    I'm curious too.

I'm still confused whether its a myth that 'toxins' are stored in you fat: how and why - why doesn't the body excrete them? why physiologically would our body's want to save them for later, particularly when the body (from a fat storage to survive perspective) is presumably releasing fat in response to starvation, what is the point of the saved up toxins then?

Hope someone can chime in on this one...

fyrespryte is offline Senior Member
    I'm a massage therapist. I don't have any info on "lipo massage" but I do know that "lymph massage" is an actual type of massage, often used for people who have severe edema (swelling). I know that scar tissue can be broken down with massage, I'm not sure about actual adipose tissue. Seems like if that did work, that area of massage would be absolutely booming and as far as I know, it's not.

As far as detox is concerned...the jury is still out with me about toxins being stored in fat, simply because I haven't seen any actual scientific evidence of it. However, I do lean towards it being the truth. It only makes sense that if your body stores toxins in fat, (which I've heard all over in regards to like...non grass fed animals) then toxins would be released through weight loss. I mean, if they're telling us to avoid the fat of conventionally raised animals for that reason...we're not much different. Those toxins would have to go somewhere. There's also plenty of anecdotal evidence concerning sweating toxins out.

I do know this much. The first thing that I used to tell my clients after a deep tissue massage was to drink LOTS of water afterward to help flush out toxins. While I've never seen any scientific studies done on this, I have first hand experience with it. I've never been sicker...literally HOURS after a deep tissue massage than I have been if I wasn't well hydrated first, and didn't drink tons of water afterward. Nausea and headache. Physiologically, that makes sense since in most people who are tight, there is a great deal of fascia (connective tissue) impingement. Fascia is part of your lymph system, as well as structural. Toxins and nutrients are transported through the fascia. If it's all hung up, those fluids can't flow. Get a massage, loosen things up and viola!

My greatest concern if you're considering trying this type of massage would be to ask your therapist what they recommend to avoid possible toxin overload. Do they only do it in small sessions? Do they recommend specific herbs/supplements to help support your immune system? I wouldn't do deep tissue massage on someone two days in a row for this very reason. You CAN get sick, and your body can just become overloaded if you're not doing something in addition to the massage to get the toxins OUT.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    I'll have to research this, but I believe the thinking is that your body stores the toxins in fat to protect your body from them. If you're ingesting a lot of toxins your liver can't process them all, and so the body protects itself by enveloping them in fat.

This, however, is from something I read and can't remember where... so I'll check it out later, but interesting concept none-the-less.

And... I have been sick after deep tissue massage even after drinking some water... sometimes it takes a few days to process it all. So there's something going on there, definitely.
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

I talked to her a bit more about it. She said since I'm active and eating well, the only thing she'd advise to really avoid would be 'Coffee' in excess during the process. Well that and to drink water and if feeling like crap, take epson salt baths.

I found a copy of the original article about it that talks about a study of 100 women, printed in 1999.

http://www.massagetherapy.com/articl...n-of-Lypossage

The Study
    A group of 100 women, ages 35 to 50, were selected for the study based on their healthy lifestyle habits, meaning they could not be obese or sedentary. Women who had given birth within three years of the study and those with contraindications to deep tissue massage were excluded. Each woman committed to 20 minutes of deep tissue massage, three times a week for six weeks.
    and on and on.
    -mikewootini

Mog
    bumpity-fat-cell-bump.

anyone else chime in re massage or the whole 'fat stores toxins' theory?

I found this but I don't feel it's 'study worthy' exactly. It mentions some studies, but racking them down for hard science is another matter.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/dise.../toxic-fat.htm

Organic pollutants are ubiquitous in our world, and they preferentially deposit themselves in fat. Once in fat deposits, the toxins are prevented from entering the blood stream to be processed and removed by the body. More importantly, while they hide in fat, they modulate cells and increase their harmful effects on the body. Weight loss may liberate the toxins from the stored fat deposits, allowing the toxins to be removed from the body and permitting the person to return to a normal state.
    -mikewootini

Mog
    Thanks Mike. interesting. I still dont understand why our body would do that. I will look around and if I find anything, I will share...

mondawg is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thank you this post was very helpful to me