Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much meat a day page 2

Tarlach is offline Member

Shop Now

Roughly 2 pound a day.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

about 1/2 - 1 pound + approx 6 eggs

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

Question....

Is it "dangerous" to be consuming grain-fed animals regularly?

vkh Guest

"Is it "dangerous" to be consuming grain-fed animals regularly?"

Good question, I have wondered this myself.

I found a really cool site where they have chemically analyzed virtually all foods to show the nutritional breakdowns. I am assuming it is accurate but of course who knows.

Here is 1 oz of grass fed ground beef vs 1 oz of non-grass fed ground beef (I assume it's corn but it doesn't say).

Grass fed: http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/beef-products/10526/2

Corn fed: http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/beef-products/6198/2

My method:

They only had one choice for the grass fed ground beef, and they had many choices for for corn fed, separated into 5% fat increments. I chose 85% lean corn fed raw ground beef for the comparison, because that matched the grass-fed sample most closely in terms of total macronutrient content.

Conclusion:

The grass fed cut was slightly leaner: 59% vs 63% of total calories from fat. But it had 20% more Omega 6 fatty acids and 108% more Omega 3 fatty acids (more than double the Omega-3s). The corn-fed cut had the edge in monounsaturated fat by 38%.

The grass-fed cut had 10% more protein. Micronutrient-wise, both cuts were the same.

There are considerations other than nutrient profile needed to answer this question, but I thought that a nutrient breakdown would be a good place to start!

Also, OTB made a good observation that it is perfectly okay for chickens to eat grains. I eat mostly chicken, (father refused to let me get steak for 8$/lb..) so I figured that the Greenwise selection I made was acceptable. My only "naughty" weakness is Boars Head deli roastbeef. Ohhh, how I missed roast beef!

ohiolopez is offline Junior Member

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/lipid-hypothesis/the-vegetarian-myth/

I just finished reading this book but she makes a very good case about eating buying grass fed chickens and beef.

It would appear that we are all in agreement that eating more like a caveman is better for us so I think the same logic should be used with our food stuffs.

This book is saying the same thing other writers are stating but for whatever reason her words stuck.

Good book, I don't agree with her solutions.

Off to the farmers market.

frogfarm is offline Member
    trudgin' across the tundra, mile after mile

It's a bit disheartening that the more eggs I eat, the less satiated I am. Otherwise I'd still be eating a ton of them! But now they're strictly a side dish, along with chicken (too low in fat) and bacon and sausage, even minimally processed as the sugar, salt and flavorings tend to increase my cravings (thinking I'm hungry when I'm not, as well as making me think about eating things I've decided not to). That's the long way of saying I eat mostly beef -- depending on what else I have that day, anywhere from a quarter pound to almost two pounds.

As for grass vs grain, I buy grassfed now and then from some farms in the area, but most of it is grainfed from an excellent local butcher. I eat as little mainstream supermarket meat as possible, like when I'm eating at a friend's or with my family. This is primarily a financial consideration, but should the books allow it, my freezer is empty and waiting for a quarter grassfed cow this fall. Even though I don't have a baseline for comparison, I'm looking forward to seeing some lab results when I can swing that expense as well -- Charles Washington makes a point of stressing how healthy he is on grainfed beef, most of it cheap stuff, reasoning that although grain is an unnnatural diet for cows 1) better they eat it than us, and 2) feeding cows grain enables us to feed more people with said cows. Personally I'd prefer to eat all grassfed if for no other reason than BECAUSE it's an unnatural diet for the animal which necessitates unusual measures to prolong its life until slaughter. But in the absence of mo' money, I'll buy the best I can afford in a constantly ongoing balancing act of compromises with my other expenses.

Frogfarm - You find eggs don't satisfy you either?! I guess I'll have to start cooking mine up with bacon, if I could ever find any at Publix without nitrate...Hmmmm...Tough call..

Well, isn't grainfed chicken better than grainfed beef? I try to tell myself that at least..

Nick Guest

Jess, check out my post from the other day:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...n-organic-eggs

Protip: Just about anything you can think of, including flaming swords or Coca Cola doped with arsenic, OTB will say he allows a little of it in his diet and doesn't sweat the small stuff.

fritchbeetle is offline Junior Member

I eat 1 or 2 eggs plus 6 to 8 oz of meat (fish, poultry or beef) which over the last three months has averaged about 60g of protein per day (according to my MyNetDiary.com stats).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast