Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to make chips (fries) healthier? page

Hilary is online now Senior Member

How to make chips (fries) healthier?

Shop Now
    I eat Primal; husband (who is naturally skinny and lacking incentive) does not. He likes chips (English for fries) - the kind from a packet, partly pre-cooked in vegetable oil. The grill pan after cooking them is swimming in the stuff.

Yellow. Yum.

I'd really rather not do this to him any more, but how do I replace chips? Substituting rice or mash isn't always going to go down well. Any way of turning potatoes into something reasonably chip-like using a healthier fat?

liza is offline Senior Member
    Cut the potatoes into chip shapes as he likes. (If your husband will eat them, use sweet potatoes or yams instead of white potatoes to become more primal.) Toss the potatoes with olive oil, or melted lard, or melted chicken fat, or melted duck fat, or melted suet, or melted tallow (basically, use any primal friendly fat; if it's one that is solid at room temperature, heat it enough to turn it to liquid so you can coat the potatoes).

Bake it on a cookie sheet in a hot oven (425 F; 220 C). Stir them around/turn them over (depending on the shape you've cut them into) after about 15 minutes. Bake for a total of about 25-30 minutes, or until crispy.
    Last edited by liza; 09-18-2010 at 03:53 PM. Reason: spelling

TigerJ is offline Senior Member
    Yesterday I made real french fries in lard and they were fantastic! I double fry per the traditional way but don't use buckets of the stuff, just enough to coat the pan plus a bit more, turning potatoes frequently. I'm pretty sure *anyone* who likes fries (chips) would prefer the real deal over pre-cooked, veggie oil crap.

double fry per the traditional way
    - you mean, cook chips, remove them, heat fat further, brown chips?

I like the idea of not bothering with a chip pan. Back when I used that, it was always touch and go whether the oil would boil over onto the gas flame and engulf the kitchen in flames, and everything (especially me) would be coated in a fine layer of grease afterwards. Yes, they were preferred to the bagged kind if they turned out right - and that seemed to depend on getting the right kind of potato, or the right day of the week or something.

This is great - thank you. I'll try both ways (and with some sweet potatoes for me) and see which works better.

liza is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    . . .
    This is great - thank you. I'll try both ways (and with some sweet potatoes for me) and see which works better.
    Please report back with your results!

TigerJ is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=Hilary;214308]- you mean, cook chips, remove them, heat fat further, brown chips?

Yes exactly. Just one more step I forgot to mention - if using regular white potatoes, cut first then soak in water for 30 minutes. Helps draw out the starch.

hm - tried to 'reply with quote' but not turning out the same way?

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    I'd really rather not do this to him any more, but how do I replace chips?
    Take cold parboiled potatoes, slice them, then shallow-fry them.

I think most people would probably like those just as much as chips. It's safer - and less wasteful - than traditional deep-frying, since you don't need so much hot and potentially combustible fat (healthier, too, since you don't keep reheating and reusing fat and can use a lower frying temperature). And it's a great deal healthier than modern "oven-ready" chips, since you need not use vegetable fat.

A mixture of olive oil and butter would be suitable. So would lard or beef dripping. Many people reckon that the best fat of all for cooking potatoes is goose fat. You can find jars and tins of goose and duck fat in most supermarkets these days.

You can also add some cold boiled shredded cabbage for that old-fashioned favourite Bubble and Squeak. (It bubbles in the saucepan, then squeaks in the frying pan). You can put onions in, too, like the Two Fat Ladies:

http://www.food.com/recipe/two-fat-l...d-squeak-32216

racingsnake is offline Senior Member
    Why not go for the beef dripping? It's really good for you, cheap as, er... chips, and after all, all fish and chip shops used to fry in that before they realised it was killing us and we got the healthy vegetable oils.

You know, I had no idea what they used before the yellow stuff. I don't have a source for beef dripping... any suggestions?

In fact the only cooking fats I have are ghee, coconut oil and olive oil, and only the first two of those are going to work at chip-frying temperatures. I wonder what (on earth) they taste like with TigerJ's method using a ghee/coconut oil mixture??

racingsnake is offline Senior Member
    I got my last batch of dripping from Tesco in Glasgow, but my local tesco has just started stocking it (what an uplifting moment that was!). 50p for 1/2 kilo - health food. And with goji berries at 20 a kilo too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast