Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal smells? - not what you think page

thanatos is offline Senior Member

Primal smells? - not what you think

Shop Now
    Yesteday afternoon I was in the back yard and got a whiff of the neighbors BBQ cooking some steak and went inside and asked the lovely wife, "BBQ for dinner".

It got me thinking that the smell triggered something deep in the pit of my brain that said "Grok smell meat burning. Grok want some."

Given throwing meat on an open flame was our first type of cooking possibly a couple of hundred thousand years ago it wouldn't be surprising if the smell of it was embedded in our dna.

Anyone think of any others?

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member
    The smell of humous, of earth.

Dung.

Blood.

Sex.

The smell of mother's milk.

The smell of your own baby.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    This is interesting
    http://www.livescience.com/health/06...mpit_odor.html
    The scent of a woman is more attractive at certain times of the month, suggests a new study that had men sniffing women's armpit odor.

http://www.livescience.com/health/04...and_smell.html
    The research suggests that other animals, perhaps even you, choose mates in part based on the strength of their immune systems.
    Previous research had shown mice prefer to breed with mates whose immune-system genes -- which produce chemicals that help the body fight invading cells -- are different from their own. Such selective sex leads to healthier offspring.
    http://www.physorg.com/news182609572.html

Smells are known to be critical to animal mating habits: Animal studies have shown that male testosterone levels are influenced by odor signals emitted by females, particularly when they are ovulating (that is, when they are the most fertile).

In two studies, women wore tee shirts for 3 nights during various phases of their menstrual cycles. Male volunteers smelled one of the tee shirts that had been worn by a female participant. In addition, some of the male volunteers smelled control tee shirts that had not been worn by anyone. Saliva samples for testosterone analysis were collected before and after the men smelled the shirts.

Results revealed that men who smelled tee shirts of ovulating women subsequently had higher levels of testosterone than men who smelled tee shirts worn by non-ovulating women or men who smelled the control shirts. In addition, after smelling the shirts, the men rated the odors on pleasantness and rated the shirts worn by ovulating women as the most pleasant smelling.
    Last edited by cillakat; 09-18-2010 at 02:10 PM. Reason: formatting

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

BigRed is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalWannabeGirl View Post
    The smell of humous, of earth.

Dung.

Blood.

Sex.

The smell of mother's milk.

The smell of your own baby.
    Fried onions - sorry PWG but this reminds me of an ad in the UK where a woman prepares a bath with various lotions, scented candles, background music, then her husband bursts in, sits on the toilet and lets rip.

I stand by fried onions by the way, who would buy hotdogs or burgers without the smell of fried onions?

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    Oh, I totally agree with cooking onions, that and garlic....yum!

periquin is offline Senior Member
    I read in some magazine (really don't remember which) in someone's office that according to some study ---why they do these things I don't understand-- anyway, strippers receive more tips and attention when they are ovulating. Apparently the men in those clubs can sniff out who provides the best potential for reproducing, are are drawn to them. To me, that must be a primal thing.

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    I guess primal smells often relate to mating--I remember learning in a PSYC class that women prefer a man clean shaven or grizzly depending on a scent he emits during masculine hormone cycles. Of course, I don't remember the relevance of that tidbit ;P

queen_sheba is offline Senior Member
    snow (in the air) or changes in barometric temperature (whici i suspect we would have massively drawn on before calenders!)

the smell of the sun in the air as it rises at dawn (my favourite place to smell this is in the dordogne valley in France, about 5am) what with all the flora and floiage kicking around...

the smell of the ocean, the salt in your nostrils....
    Last edited by queen_sheba; 09-20-2010 at 09:02 AM.
    Scottish Sarah

Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

Give me a poke on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pistepals
    **Remember to tell me your forum name so I know who you are!**

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    The smell of your family members. My husband has a particular smell, very faint but *I* can smell it (even under the :gag cigarette smell). I also remember what my older brother smelled like when I was a child, sometimes my eldest son smells that way too.
    The smell of "others." If we lived in small clans, ate the same diet, slept in the same general area, and had the same hygiene habits, we would likely smell alike. If non-clan lived nearby but ate a slightly different diet or hygiene regimen, it's likely that they would smell different than our own clan.

Piscator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by periquin View Post
    ---why they do these things I don't understand--
    They do these things because they can get gov't funding. Your tax dollars at work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast