Thread: Coconut pancakes/pizza crust - no eggs, nuts, milk, grains or beans page

michaelsa1214 is offline Junior Member

Coconut pancakes/pizza crust - no eggs, nuts, milk, grains or beans

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Not only am I lectin-sensitive, I have severe food intolerance to eggs, milk from any animal, and all nuts except for coconut. As you can imagine this makes baking difficult, but I found a way! Here is my recipe for coconut-psyllium pancakes/pizza crust/pitta bread which has saved my culinary life. I eat them every day and don't find them rough or fibrous:

- 1/3 c coconut flour (Tropical Traditions is great. Order on Amazon.com. Bob's Redmill works too.)
    - 1/2 can of coconut milk (I use lite coconut milk from Trader Joes.) Coconut milk gives better results than soy, almond or regular milk. Be careful not to get coconut milk that contains guar gum, which is full of lectins from beans!
    - 1 tsp baking powder (or baking soda if you're scd)
    - a pinch of salt
    - coconut or grapeseed oil for the pan, enough to coat it
    - 1 tblsp psyllium (husk or seed powder, available from Whole Foods or Monterey Bay Spice Co.) I prefer powdered psyllium in baking vs the husk flakes. If you can only find flakes, grind in a coffee grinder until powdered. Psyllium is the egg substitute that makes the baked goods hold together and I prefer it to xanthan or guar gum. Itís cheap, too! Be sure to drink lots of water with these baked goods, because they are high fiber.

DIRECTIONS:

Put dry ingredients in a bowl or food processor and mix until they are fully dispersed. Add the coconut milk. Batter should be thick like heavy clay, not runny at all.
    Put oil in the pan and heat it on medium.

Put the batter (probably a lump the size of a baseball) in the pan.

You could flatten it with a powdered rolling pin, but I donít have the patience for that. I flatten mine in the pan with the back of a wet metal serving spoon. Dip the spoon in a bowl of water after each swipe at the dough. After about 8 swipes the dough will even out and continue to flatten on its own as it cooks.

Coconut flour takes longer to cook than regular flour. Cook on medium only, to ensure the bottom doesn't burn while the middle is still raw. After 8 minutes, flip with a crepe flipper (these are much better than regular spatulas!) and cook on the other side for 8 minutes.

You can tell they are done when they're golden brown on each side and the top looks dry.

I eat these every day, with fruit or veggies/meat/fish. I use the dough to make pizza and it holds up very well under heavy toppings.

Coconut+psyllium baked goods have saved my culinary life. I use this dough recipe for muffins and pie crusts too. (For fruit pie crusts I use palm shortening instead of coconut milk)

Also, this recipe is virtually carbohydrate and fat-free, so you could eat it all day long and never gain a pound. Just be sure to drink lots of water when eating baked goods made with this dough, because it is very high fiber.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    I have never used psyllium, seen psyllium, or had anything to do with psyllium. Are there any more common alternatives to this item I could make this with?

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    I just switched to no dairy, no eggs, no nightshades for 30 days. These will be a lifesaver for me. Do you have any other breakfast type recipes to share?