Thread: Harvest Soup page

Longtail4711 is offline Senior Member

Harvest Soup

This is my favorite Fall and Winter soup. It's very easy to make, a great way to get rid of leftovers, and it's very nutritious and filling. It freezes well, and it's perfect on a cold winter's night when you're hungry and tired from a long day at work and don't feel like cooking. It's also a hit at potlucks!

4 cups chicken broth

1 cup chopped onions

2 cups fresh or bagged mixed veggies (favorites for this are squash, broccoli, cauliflower, turnip, parsnips, celery, and carrots, but you can pretty much use anything you like! Use up your veggies that are about to go bad!)

2 cups cooked chicken (Roast a chicken for dinner the night before, and this soup is the best for using up the leftovers!)

2 cups pureed pumpkin (a 16 oz can of Libby's pureed pumpkin is great for this. If you can't find pumpkin due to the shortage right now, a nice acorn or butternut squash puree works just as well)

1 cup heavy cream (can be omitted if you don't do dairy)

1 Tablespoon poultry seasoning

1 Tablespoon garlic powder

1 Tsp ground Cloves

Salt and pepper to taste

Chives or parsley for garnish

Directions:

In a large pot, pour in chicken broth and bring to a low boil on medium-high heat. Add the poultry seasoning, garlic powder, and cloves. Put in chopped onion and any tougher veggies like turnips to start cooking first.

Add rest of the veggies when turnips are semi-soft and the onions translucent. When veggies are al dente (about 10 min.), add the cooked chicken and stir. Allow to heat for a few minutes.

Stir in the cream and pumpkin, add salt and pepper to taste. Stir well, then turn off heat and serve. Garnish with parsely and chives.

Makes 8 servings

Feel free to experiment and adjust any which way you want to fit your tastes. The great thing about this soup is you can modify it pretty much any which way you want. Throw in chili or pepper for a hotter taste or add Tabasco sauce. Use leftover rabbit or pork instead of chicken. I haven't tried using coconut milk, but it might work. I'd love to hear your adjustments if you try this!

beenbean is offline Member
    This sounds luscious--and a friend just gave me a huge pumpkin, and I've been wondering what to do with it. Problem (at least partially) solved. Thanks so much for sharing!

UpErMei is offline Member
    This sounds so good and so easy! Thanks!

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have a version of this cooking in the crockpot now, but with chicken hearts which I finally found. I added bacon for more of a smoky taste, and butternut squash (leftovers) instead of pumpkin. Can't wait till tonight to try it.