Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The "why don't doctors say this?" question page

stjoad is offline Junior Member

The "why don't doctors say this?" question

Primal Fuel
    My friends are being ***holes and completely mocking the primal/paleo philosophy. One thing my one buddy keeps asking is "why don't doctors tell us this?", regarding the idea that grains are bad. I have nothing to say beyond that the medical establishment is a huge machine. Does anyone have a more tangible answer to that? It's so frustrating to deal with these guys. They hardly listen anyway (I say this as my friend talks about downing half a bag of oatmeal so he can gain more muscle).

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Your mate's an idiot, not to put too fine a point on it! <grin!> Where does he get the, quite frankly, ridiculous notion that oatmeal's gonna make him build more muscle (ir's no good as a pre WO carb as it's slow-release)?

As for docs, well it's simple. Read everything Mark has to say about CW and there's your answer, pretty much. Oh there's probably more to it than that (flawed research for starters) but IME docs, nutritionists and dietitians don't really have a clue (eating fat will make you diabetic's a good one - this is in relation to type 2 diabetes more than type 1, I'd have thought, but it's still nonsensical!)

They're taught all this rubbish at med school, or when they take whatever exams it is they take to become nutritionists/dietitians and it sticks (I've had it all first hand from a nutritional therapist who told me that, in order to cure my insomnia, I had to eat porridge for breakfast, snack on oatcakes and Ryvita (rye crispbreads) and make sure I had potatoes, rice or pasta for dinner! She also banged on about eating 6 small meals a day (or I'd destroy my metabolism and get fat again - y'know the old 'starvation mode' bollocks). She even told me that Dr. Atkins died because he was obese due to following his own teachings!

Needless to say, I've not seen her again since!

I can't really answer you beyond that, other than it's what they were taught (and I wish I knew where all this rubbish stemmed from originally because it's doing many people so much harm).

Sorry, I can't be more help, bud, but I figured that some answer was better than no answer at all (though there are some here who'd probably disagree with that!)
    La tristesse durera toujours...

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Results speak so much louder than words! Show 'em!!!

As for why doctors don't say this, show them the PaNu website, he's a doctor!

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Throw a copy of "Good Calories, Bad Calories" at them and say "When you've finished reading that, in depth, then we'll talk. Until then, I'm not going to bother answering any more of your questions, because you're not ready to hear the answers." Then change the subject.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Throw a copy of "Good Calories, Bad Calories" at them and say "When you've finished reading that, in depth, then we'll talk. Until then, I'm not going to bother answering any more of your questions, because you're not ready to hear the answers." Then change the subject.

The man who talks sense! Think I need to find meself a copy of aforementioned tome. Is this http://http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/1400033462/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Little on the dear side for a paperback, but it's been mentioned so often on here, that I'm thinking it's more or less essential PB reading!

Cheers dude!
    Last edited by Shrinking_Violet; 09-18-2010 at 08:47 AM. Reason: problem with entering a URL.
    La tristesse durera toujours...

Chefgerry is offline Senior Member
    Actually there's a few Dr.s that do talk about a primal diet......and probably more than we think......you'll have to hunt for that data.
    Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stjoad View Post
    My friends are being ***holes and completely mocking the primal/paleo philosophy.
    There is an easy answer

1) stop talking about it with them. change the subject.

2) The easiest answer is that docs don't study nutrition in school. They are trained to treat disease with medications and procedures. They are not trained to build optimal health.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Well this Doctor preaches the primal lifestyle to his patients! At least I have for the past 2 months that I have known about it. All the science is there to support Mark's work and there are plenty of other books out there that also back it! At it's basis the PB is all about epi-genetics and the way food turns on and off our genetics, and that is what makes it so strong. It comes down to the quality of the doctor and the education and continuing education that they have chosen for themselves, and most go with only the nutrition education that they did or did not receive in school.

As for trying to argue with the monster that is CW Medicine...
    How about the fact that a prescription drug only has to be as effective as the placebo in order to be approved by the FDA for human consumption OR the fact that only 30% of med schools in the U.S. require a separate nutrition course AND on average a med student receives about 6 hours of nutrition education unless the elect to do otherwise
    "The power that made the body HEALS the body" - B.J. Palmer

Lodini is offline Senior Member
    When I first started PB, I had a doctor's appointment for my annual checkup that week... she called me back a few days later to tell me she had concerns about my cholesterol (good was low and bad was way high) and that she wanted me to start taking lots of fish oil supplements and working out more. I told her I had just started doing all of the above, and explained how I was eating (fats, protein, veggies and fruit) and she didn't even raise an eyebrow. She said "sounds good! Can't wait to see you in 6 months for a follow up "

I had found her through a friend's recommendation and I remember my friend saying she was a more holistic doctor than most. I love that even though my cholesterol and BP were not good, she didn't automatically go to meds! She said she won't consider meds until I do the fish oil, salmon, avocado thing for at least a year. So... it's all about finding the right doctor!!
    Starting weight, June 10, 2010: 213 pounds
    Current weight, October 31, 2010: 177 pounds
    Goal: Happiness, Health, Hotness

Screw "moderation"!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast