Thread: Hey fellow cookbook lovers........ page

PrimalGoddess is offline Junior Member

anyone have these? I am thinking about getting them xoox Darlene

http://www.paleocookbook.com/

Tarlach is offline Member

They are probably very good for PB eaters.

You can get an idea of the recipes (and some free) at the authors blog:

http://nikkisblogspot.com/

I have not considered buying the books as the author seems to think that olive oil, salt, soy sauce, peas, sweet potato, mayonnaise, paprika, tomato, cayenne pepper, honey, flaxseed, protein powder, chilli, tomato pasta sauce, capsicum, maple syrup, arrowroot, butter, chocolate, millet flour and goats cheese are all paleo ingredients.

I do not

YMMV

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Haha, oh Tarlach I always forget how much more strict Paleo is than primal until I see your lists Though to be perfectly honest, I'm leaning towards meat and eggs as my main source of nutrition more and more. I wasn't a fan of all the "replacement" foods in those paleo cookbooks, it seems counter-productive to changing your diet (in the "this is how I eat all the time" diet sense).

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

PrimalGoddess is offline Junior Member

wow Paleo is more strict..but whatever works! thanks for the free link I will ck it out . xoox Darlene

SeanBissell is offline Junior Member

I bought them just to see what they had.

Overall I'd say 30% of the recipes I may use.

It more worked as an inspiration for what could be possible with paleo/primal recipes.

Some things specifically: The fact that you can make pie crust from chopped almonds, dates, and walnuts. Also things like coconut macaroons can be made to be very primal/paleo.

And making noodles out of zucchinis was a neat touch too (You need a specific tool for that though) I have it, and it works well actually.

It's not a *must* have. But it's pretty cool.

The biggest problem with the cookbook that I have is that while most of the recipes *are* paleo (some cheat a little.)

But even the ones that *are* paleo, don't have the best nutritional profile from a macronutrient standpoint. For example dates in a pie crust works *technically* but that's a lot of sugar regardless. And lots of carbs.

Also, they use lots of honey as sweetener, and that can be worse than even high fructose corn syrup (but that's another conversation.)

Anyhow, it's a good book to have, but not necessary, and pay attention to the carbs, and sugar content of lots of the recipes.

Hope that helps!

-Sean