Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Long, lean, ballet dancer muscles? page 2

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
    Taller women develop that lithe dancer look even doing weight training. It's a pervasive myth surrounding woman and strength training. Many are afraid of "bulking up" and looking like some sort of freaky steriod monkey if they do weight training, but this isn't true.
    lol... i know... i wish it was that easy.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Dancers do tend to be lean, but part of the reason the professional ballet dancers you see are so delicate is that women who aren't built that way are discouraged from continuing in dance and are often not hired by professional troupes. Teenage dancers who are not as naturally slim experience high rates of disordered eating in order to fit the ideal. I went to a high school for the performing arts, and I knew many young dancers who had switched to doing musical theatre, modern dance, and other styles that are a bit more open to a range of body types.

Dance is great exercise and can definitely help a person get lean, but it cannot remake a person's entire body type to a small, delicate frame if her bone structure and muscle attachments do not tend that way already.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Dancers do tend to be lean, but part of the reason the professional ballet dancers you see are so delicate is that women who aren't built that way are discouraged from continuing in dance and are often not hired by professional troupes. Teenage dancers who are not as naturally slim experience high rates of disordered eating in order to fit the ideal. I went to a high school for the performing arts, and I knew many young dancers who had switched to doing musical theatre, modern dance, and other styles that are a bit more open to a range of body types.

Dance is great exercise and can definitely help a person get lean, but it cannot remake a person's entire body type to a small, delicate frame if her bone structure and muscle attachments do not tend that way already.
    So true and so sad. At 5'3" I was NEVAH gonna make it as a professional dancer, no matter how often I threw up my dinner.

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member
    Pilates. Serious Pilates, and lot of it.

Lyrical Jazz.

Isadora Duncan inspired modern dance.

Any dance form that asks you to lift from the sternum, keep your shoulders down, and make long lines with your arms and legs.

Girl

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    I think all types of dance have benefits to offer (besides being fun!). I was doing jazz for a while, now I'm taking Hip-Hop. In the past I've taken ballet, tap, modern, afro-haitian, ballroom... I like jazz for an all over body workout... hip hop is more lower body, core and more cardio ... modern is a lot of total body too, but I never clicked with the style enough really. My suggestion is to try a few classes and see what "clicks" with you.. and what you enjoy. For me that's the most important part.
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Primallady is offline Senior Member
    I was a dancer and student at the School of American Ballet from childhood through age 16 (when I quit). We were encouraged to stay super slim (I was) but also chosen for body type (Balanchine liked long legs, long necks and sylph like look to his dancers) I thought the environment towards the ends of my *stay* was downright unhealthy. It fostered an unrealistic distorted body view and many gals had anorexia and or bulimia. It was rampant.
    The only time I ever did achieve that look again was when I was doing loads of cardio, yoga and not eating any dairy or any fruit (very strict paleo) but I got too thin.

robss is offline Senior Member
    yoga.

Vick is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mav3rick View Post
    If you want to look like a dancer then dance. Your body will adapt based on the specific demands you place on it.
    Ain't gonna happen. People swim competitively to have that long slendor look of a swimmer. Watch an NCAA swimming event. You see all shapes and and sizes, but when you get to the finals, you only see swimmers with swimmers bodies.

You can starve yourself and become slim. You can workout to become stronger and workout to build muscle mass. However you will never overcome your genetic profile, you will only succeed in pushing your genetics to their maximum potential.

That is the most worthy of goals.

Slacke is offline Member
    I also think its mostly an issue of those having that type of body being the ones that 'succeed' in the event and get shown in promotional pictures like that.
    Read an article about just that, how we often draw the conclusion that its the other way around, with swimmers bodies like Vick said above me but wasn't able to find the link right now.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Lots of good answers. Mine is simplest - keep on doing Primal. The kind of body you want is what Mark is aiming to produce. Read his descriptions of paleo bodies. (Or look at pictures of him.)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast