Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talk to me about OCD/Anxiety solutions.... page

afsjesse is offline Senior Member

Talk to me about OCD/Anxiety solutions....

I'm not a private person and as such I'd like anyone's personal advice. Even better, if anyone reads this and is willing to talk to me through the messaging system, i'd appreciate some one on one dialogue.

I have a pretty bad case of OCD that is accompanied by anxiety. Took me going to Argentina at 16 and having a full fledged panic attack in the airport to get diagnosed. I was sent home and immediately put on Prozac. Did that for a couple years, switched to Paxil... drastic side effects and I switched back to Prozac and weaned myself off while living in Korea. I've been off for over two years now, but I feel like i need something to calm me down. I'm a naturally tense person and uber hyped a lot. Super stressed with grad school and not getting good sleep.

Since switching to Primal, I've gotten that great boost of energy, some weight loss and the like. I've also been more tense than usual and have what resembles symptoms of a panic attack, but not so much.

Does anyone have any advice as to any supplements I could take to help me through this? Would St. John's Wort help at all? Thanks so much.

shannon is offline Senior Member
    check ur inbox;-)
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

shemdogg is offline Senior Member
    Kava is great at treating the symptoms and to a lesser extent valerian and passion flower

Try fish oils and/or i.f. if you arent already to treat the cause

I've been eating a lot of frozen salmon and canned tuna. I'll look into the kava. Thanks for the recommendations.

Razorburne is offline Junior Member
    afsjesse,

Primary recommendation is a well trained therapist/facility trained in Exposure & Response Prevention (a form of Cognitive Behaviioral Therapy that is evidence based). There is no pill or supplement that will take the place of proper behavioral therapy.

As far as "supplements", you can try Inositol in the powder form but you have to follow a specific titration schedule. You can also use NAC (N-Acetyl Cysteine)...these supplements have some yet not a lot of data behind them and have very inconsistent results.

Good luck...if you need more specific info, PM me.......I'm a professional and willing to provide info if you want it. Either way, best of luck to you with whatever you choose.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the advice. Never heard of NAC. No health insurance, so no Cognitive Therapy for me. Although I do have access to counselors on campus, so I may try to get them involved a little.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by afsjesse View Post
    I I've been off for over two years now, but I feel like i need something to calm me down. I'm a naturally tense person and uber hyped a lot. Super stressed with grad school and not getting good sleep.

Since switching to Primal, I've gotten that great boost of energy, some weight loss and the like. I've also been more tense than usual and have what resembles symptoms of a panic attack, but not so much.
    Personal past hx of severe, debilitating anxiety, full blown panic attacks, ocd etc

It took me 8 weeks on primal to 'calm down' to my normal levels. Having said that, I'm not a naturally calm person but rather one who has decided in the last 5 years or so to cultivate calm. To choose it every moment. I have many cognitive behavioral strategies on board, meditation, breathing techniques and perhaps most important (at times) orthomolecular tx which uses vitamins, minerals and efas.

Inositol is an evidence based tx for anxiety. Incredibly effective at appropriate doses (12-18g per day....divide the doses).
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...g=content;col1
    http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl..._ylo=&as_vis=0

1) you have to sleep. no matter what. sleep, especially the hours that come before midnight, are foundationally important. Do whatever you must to sleep. sleep hygiene, herbs, minerals, appropriate drugs...whatever it takes. a sleep deficit can trigger anxiety, behavior that looks like ADHD, OCD and more, affects executive function and activity in the prefrontal cortex. You must sleep. Enough. Every night. And if you don't sleep enough one night, you need to make that sleep up another night.

2) consider reading Joan Matthew's Larson's Depression Free Naturally. It's much more thorough than Julia Ross' book The Mood Cure.
    things that may help (but read the book first): tryptophan, GABA, specific b vitamins, exercise, cognitive behavioral therapy, rapid eye movement desensitzation therapy, EFT, optimzing Ω3:6 ratios, vitamin d, meditation. I'd try inositol first though as it's cheap and oh so effective.

3) increase magnesium signficiantly. I'm back to 500-1000 mg per day of Jigsaw time released magnesium dimalate. I let symptoms guide the dosing (anxiety, muscle tension, muscle cramps - incl period related cramping)
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...013#post207013
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...bout-Magnesium
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...esium&p=165040

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

I've been eating a lot of frozen salmon and canned tuna. I'll look into the kava. Thanks for the recommendations.
    I'd exercise caution with herbs. While I have used them extensively in the past, it's important to remember that in these cases, we're talking about drugs -albeit 'natural' ones. SJW is a very complicated substances that increases photosensitiivty, blood thinning and has led to surgery complications.

Kava has been implicated in causing liver damage. And it is a *powerful* CNS depressant. After taking 8 drops of a liquid tincture, I experienced serious impairment to my breathing reflex. i literally had to remember to breathe for about three hours after taking that dose. It was terrifying.

If you decide to use Kava, use the same care you would with xanax and valium.

Wow... thanks!!!! I take 500mg. of Magnesium before bed. It's just a cheap Walmart bran. I'm on a student budget. I'll look for Inositol tomorrow at Walgreens. I'll also read the links that you posted. I really do appreciate it.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the advice. Never heard of NAC. No health insurance, so no Cognitive Therapy for me. Although I do have access to counselors on campus, so I may try to get them involved a little.
    A lot of the cognitive behavioral techniques are things you can learn on your own - without expensive therapy. It's worth trying out the campus counselors. They may be very helpful....or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast