Thread: Moving to Korea, the rice will be hard to resist... help me out! page

afsjesse is offline Senior Member

Moving to Korea, the rice will be hard to resist... help me out!

Primal Fuel
    This time next year I will have graduated with my MA TESL (Teaching English as a second Language) and will be living in Korea and am sooooooooo looking forward to eating tons of galbi, and samgyeopsal!!!!!!! So, there's a ton of rice, and since I've lived there for 2 years, it's going to be hard not to eat. Any tips on what I could include more in my diet over there that isn't readily available here in the states? I'm thinking more seaweed, fish, etc... What's difficult is that it can be very hard to get a high protein count over there.
    Last edited by afsjesse; 09-17-2010 at 04:12 PM. Reason: location

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Cool! I taught English in Korea in 1996/97 actually. Great experience. They have a ton of great, great beef and pork dishes. You'll be fine and rice is the least-bad grain. Stay away from Burger King and you'll have no problems.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Korean food is really good and mostly primal. Love the bbqs with loads of meat, vegetables and pckles. Casseroles are good too. Especially the kick-ass chilli tripe casserole that was usually translated as "Inwards Casserole". Normally, Koreans only have a small bowl of rice or noodles at the end of the meal. Fill up beforehand and you won't have trouble passing on the rice or noodles

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    Try to eat like the locals: sea vegetables, fungi, fish stews, roast pumpkin, fermented greens, etc... Lots of seafoods in all forms including great sashimi.

afsjesse is offline Senior Member
    Oooooo you're having me drool just reading that list of food you listed. One of the things I love there is bibimbap (mixed rice with veggies).... going to have to find a balance...

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Have fun in Korea! That sounds like an awesome experience - something I will have to do someday.

Just do the best you can! If you can get enough calories by avoiding the rice then great. If you must have a little bit then eat a little bit - no one is perfect! Just do what YOU want to do.

And, as people have stated, Korean seems to be pretty primal friendly.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!