Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just got my first delivery of beef from a farm page

adamsaysyo is offline Member

Just got my first delivery of beef from a farm

Primal Fuel
    I ordered their small 20lb package. I swear, they don't make it easy to find where to get 100%GF beef around here, and I am in Los Angeles! The big farmer's market only has 1 beef stand, and its high priced and NOT fully 100%GF ... they say "its grass finished" but if you read their marketing material, it says plain-as-day that it is supplemented by barley oats. So I went hunting on the internet...

I ordered from Open Space Meats - which is in Northern CA. So the weird thing was, I was expecting it to come via UPS or similar, and the owner of the farm dropped off the styrofoam container to my work himself... I guess he was making the rounds! It was cool that I got to ask him a lot of questions - kept him for 20 minutes talking so I had to validate his parking...

If its tasty, i'll definitely order the 100lb package next time to put in a big freezer. My boss ordered from a different farm a month or so ago and said he definitely didn't care for the taste - so i guess it all depends...

Anyway, just wanted to share...

shemdogg is offline Senior Member

Piscator is offline Senior Member
    Keep us posted - I'd like to hear how you like it.

Correction though: We who live in northern California would say Open Space Meats (along with the entire Bay Area) is in central California, not northern. This is a fun distinction, mostly because it irks the bay area folks.

LessofMimi is offline Senior Member
    I've ordered from them, too. It's like Christmas with Santa ringing your doorbell. Enjoy!
    Melissa Fritcher - 330/252/150
    http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.

adamsaysyo is offline Member
    In my brain, i thought Central CA... don't know why I typed Northern.

LessosMimi - did you like it? The package is sitting here with me at my desk at the office, and I can't wait to open it when I get home!

Trying to jump into the organic meat, etc. I have been doing PB for 6 months already and have lost just 7 pounds... I am a little sad about it. I do (or did - up until a week ago - torn labrum) crossfit 4 days a week, and I managed to get a lot of muscles, but the fat on top of those muscles? Oh, its not going anywhere...

ALTHOUGH - i did finally put some stuff into fitday a few days ago - it turns out I was eating a good 1200 calories a day of nuts. Frickin' nuts.

BoyPrimal is offline Senior Member
    I just had a steak of theirs. Tell us what you think of the quality once you cook some up?

We loved it! At the time I'd really wished I'd ordered more! I got ground beef, a brisket, a london broil, and ribeyes. It was all fantasteak!
    I'd rather go without than buy conventional red meat now. Just a couple of months ago I cowpooled on a 1/2 an angus cow from another farm around here (I took a quarter of that 1/2). Going for a 1/2 cow all to myself in January.

grokka is offline Senior Member
    1200 calories of nuts??? Wow. Theres your problem.

How many grams of carbs was that. Nuts stall my weight loss, so I have to be careful when I'm trying to drop pounds.

Diktynna is offline Senior Member
    Grass fed beef definitely has a different taste than what people have come to expect from beef. But once you are used to it...and you taste the other stuff...you will turn your nose up at the corn fed grossness that you used to accept as beef.

I run a buying club in SE PA from a grass-fed beef, lamb, pastured chicken/eggs, and forested pork farm. They deliver once a month. It is awesome! Look into buying clubs...ask around. I'm sure they exist where you live. The buying clubs allow you to get the meat wholesale. For instance, when we go to the farmer's market here, the ground beef is $8.50/lb. I get mine for $3.75 (because I buy it in 20 lbs boxes.) Pastured whole chickens - $15.00/whole bird, with organ meat (compared to $24/bird at the market...) The reason it is so much cheaper is because the **club** has a minimum per month ($1000.00) making it economical for the farmer to make one delivery and sell so much food. You get the picture.

Yeah for grass fed meat!
    Down almost 40 lbs. 70 to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast