Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just got my first delivery of beef from a farm page 2

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    It's so neat, meeting the people who grow your food.

I buy from two friends within 10 miles of my house, and it comes to me frozen and wrapped, in grocery bags. One sells me lamb, and the other sells me lamb, beef, and recently pork. I never want to buy meat in a store again! I think small producers dealing one on one with customers is the wave of the future. So many times when some nasty change took place, people are told, "well, that's progress, nothing you can do about it." And now, the shoe is about to be on the other foot -- the feedlots and supermarkets can whine all they like, they won't get my business back again. When it comes to growing animals for meat, small is not only better quality, it's more efficient, more ecological, the animals are happier, and it's more financially viable.

Two good books: "Holy Shit", by Gene Logsden (and, it's funny ...) and "Salad Bar Beef" by Joel Salatin

It does make the health of one's chest freezer important, having hundreds of dollars of frozen grassfed homegrown meat in there.

Let us know how you like it.

juliejmcmurray is offline Junior Member
    Way to go. That's what we all should do - Grassfed homegrown meat. No more canned stuff or junk food if health is important, and I do see anything that should be more important than our own health.

adamsaysyo is offline Member
    So ...my review of Open Space Meats.

I bought their ‘small’ package – with a large shipping charge, it came out to be about 8.50/lb after shipping.

It was 10 pounds of ground beef, 5 lbs of steak, and 5lbs of roast. I didn’t check the weight when I opened it and put the meats in my freezer, but it seemed more than just 20lbs. The owner/farmer dropped it off, and I asked him about selection – he said its more a ‘expensive steak, less expensive steak, etc."

I have tried a top sirloin and a ground beef. The ground beef was really tasty – I made it in a meatza. The top sirloin – I was anxious and cooked it quickly with no seasonings other than some garlic salt. It was a little tougher than I would have liked, but was still pretty delicious. The fat ends were not cooked well and grisly.

I am sitting here at work eating some Bay Cities tri-tip that a friends picked up for me. (bay cities is a popular deli down the street - but conventional meats). Its very bland – and it was $14/lb – so ….

Over all I give a big thumbs up! I am going to look into freezer chests so I can buy larger amounts and save more per lb.

Cheers.
    -adam

Rip City is offline Senior Member
    Freezer chests aplenty on craigslist for ~$100

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Check out the efficiency of different chest freezers. My impression is that the new ones are a lot more efficient than older models.

Of course you save a lot having a chest freezer instead of an upright, because the cold tends to stay inside better when it is opened.

I do have a cute Danish fridge-freezer combination (Vestfrost, the bottom half is a little freezer, the top half is the fridge, and they are not connected. Two tiny little compressors in back.) That at least is a smart upright freezer, because there are big plastic drawers which pull open. So the cold tends to stay in the drawers better than freezers with open racks. Oddly enough, this fridge was carried by Home Depot online.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12