Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else think the world has gone BONKERS? page

queen_sheba is offline Senior Member

Does anyone else think the world has gone BONKERS?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm just flicking through the news at lunchtime (it's nightime in most of Grokville, so not much activity here) and just appalled at some of the stuff I am coming across. People are looking for solutions to fatness rather than actually addressing the issues or opening their minds to our way of thinking!

I mean - if a guy can "open" his mind to wearing a GIRDLE - surely he can open his mind to the fact grains might be bad for you?
    http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/ob...how.5626118.jp

Another one - sending kids to slimming clubs
    http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/ne...big.2770699.jp

American Recruits too fat for the army
    http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/ob...ore.4868939.jp

Buying into the utter crap we are shovelled as "weight-loss solutions"
    SCOTTISH consumers spend nearly 90 per household on products such as slimming shakes, low-fat processed meals and weight-loss pills.
    http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/ob...lem.6307566.jp

I mean is NO-ONE listening??!! jeez louise.....
    Scottish Sarah

Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

Give me a poke on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pistepals
    **Remember to tell me your forum name so I know who you are!**

MikkiB is offline Senior Member
    I know, it's depressing.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Unfortunately in this age of media... dis-information is King. While we have access to lots of information we never did before, it can be overwhelming to those who don't find it fun and intriguing to sort through it all to find the gems. Most people, unfortunately, only hear what is delivered to them through a magazine article, or newspaper, or by a friend who read it in a magazine, etc. And most people don't investigate and research the things they read to find out the actual facts.

Sad, but I'm not sure it will ever change.
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Leanne is offline Senior Member
    I wonder if Karma will ever come back around and kick the ass of all these advertisers who marketed crappy food and mass unnecessary pharmaceuticals to the world. I mean the people who come up with factory farming methods MUST know that the animals are suffering and the quality of the meat goes way down.They do it to make money. Don't even try to tell me that Pharmaceutical companies don't know that people have other options to deal with stress and anxiety, or that the side effects of a drug far outweigh the benifits or worse they invent the disease AFTER they have a pill that they don't know what to do with (seriously, look up the history of Zoloft and "social anxiety disorder").
    There was a three part documentary a few years ago called "Big Sugar" that showed that the sugar industry has known literally for centuries that sugar was one of the most addictive things out there and how they put out a marketing campaign to make stevia look bad and block it from being approved and allowed to be used as a sweeting ingredient in drinks and candy in America and Canada (Stevia has been used in Japanese sodas and candy for decades)

I just wonder sometimes how people with morals that place making a buck so much higher than the physical and mental health and wellness or actual lives of people in their own society can live with themselves.
    The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, in diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease. - Thomas Edison

Vancouver Island Primal and Paleo Living <<< join our Facebook Group

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, you have to think that at some point it has to blow up.

Maybe not, but it just seems unlikely that we can proceed in this direction at this speed forever...
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

chasbuddy is offline Senior Member
    I'm gonna pound the table a little bit. I have a theory dontcha know?

It seems so simple to me. But what do I know for sure; anyway hear me out.

Every enterprise that is in business to make a profit ultimately has a single goal: take out as much cost as possible. Therefore, since labor is the highest cost item in virtually every corner of this globe, labor is what everyone tries to remove form product production. Now let me ask a rhetorical question....what food is produced mostly by machine? Grain. Therefore it has the lowest cost per unit volume and by definition the highest profit margin. Just try to take labor out of protein production and see what you end up with....dead animals. Old man Kellogg (Bros) stumbled onto this early on in the dark reaches of the nineteen hundreds and made breakfast cereal the "Next Big Thing". After that cheap grain production found its way into almost everything we eat cuzz it produces the most profit margin. You always need to follow the money.
    The only time I see this ending is when we have an energy shortage. Natural Gas is the dominant component in fertilizer. We run short of Natty Gas we be outta food for the most part. Health is the most important unintended consequence of cheap and plentiful food supplies.
    They used to call me No Neck, but now I have one.

TCOHTom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leanne View Post
    I just wonder sometimes how people with morals that place making a buck so much higher than the physical and mental health and wellness or actual lives of people in their own society can live with themselves.
    I'd guess most of them are living a pretty nice life and will only care about society when it starts to affect their profit margin; which is how our economic system should work. It's the misinformation that is the lynch-pin.
    Retirement has afforded me the ultimate affluence, that of free time (Sahlins/Wells)

Leanne is offline Senior Member
    ChasBuddy, low production cost and high profit return is EXACTLY why grain and potato based foods and sugar infused foods are so wide spread! It is cheaper for a family of four to eat at McDonalds than it is to buy a roasting chicken and vegetables for the same family. A McCrappy cheese burger is a dollar something while a whole chicken is about $15 and are smaller every time I go to the store. The organic chickens are about $26 each!
    The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, in diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease. - Thomas Edison

Vancouver Island Primal and Paleo Living <<< join our Facebook Group

Roach is offline Senior Member
    Maybe it has gone bonkers.

Profits / profit seeking is not a problem. Every single person on this planet seeks to profit from his/her life endeavors. It took me a good long while to realize and accept this.

juliejmcmurray is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leanne View Post
    I wonder if Karma will ever come back around and kick the ass of all these advertisers who marketed crappy food and mass unnecessary pharmaceuticals to the world. I mean the people who come up with factory farming methods MUST know that the animals are suffering and the quality of the meat goes way down.They do it to make money. Don't even try to tell me that Pharmaceutical companies don't know that people have other options to deal with stress and anxiety, or that the side effects of a drug far outweigh the benifits or worse they invent the disease AFTER they have a pill that they don't know what to do with (seriously, look up the history of Zoloft and "social anxiety disorder").
    There was a three part documentary a few years ago called "Big Sugar" that showed that the sugar industry has known literally for centuries that sugar was one of the most addictive things out there and how they put out a marketing campaign to make stevia look bad and block it from being approved and allowed to be used as a sweeting ingredient in drinks and candy in America and Canada (Stevia has been used in Japanese sodas and candy for decades)

I agree with you. It's sad how our food changes tremendously and in the process affected US. Those unscrupulous manufacturers only think of their bottom line.

When I learned about High Fructose Corn Syrup. I was shocked. How can these manufacturers EVEN though of using this on us. Just because it's 2x sweeter and 1/2 the cost? We really have to turn EAST and look at how other people are eating. They hv less problems than we do as far as weight management and obesity. Look at Japan for example.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast